Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm nine weeks out and have no regrets about having gastric bypass. I'm down 46 pounds. yay! But I'm getting tired of having to always wonder if i can eat something or if i'm eating too much or if I'm eating too fast. I hate the feeling I get when my stomach doesn't like a food, and actually, I haven't even ventured out very far yet from yogurt, Soup, Protein Shakes, you know; the 'slider' foods.

This morning i had Cream of Wheat. With plenty of fairlife milk so it was creamy. I didn't eat much, perhaps 1/4-1/3 cup. So I don't think i overate. I had no desire or room to add fruit as my nutritionist suggests. I waited an hour to two hours and tried to drink some Water and my stomach wants nothing to do with it. I thought i was going to throw up but it seems to have calmed down now. But my stomach feels uncomfortable...so i am not feeling good right now.

Ugh. i hate this part of the journey! I've had cream of wheat several times before. I don't remember it being a problem.

Your comments? I feel like I can't even take my Vitamins right now.

I still have the occasional experience like this. It happened last night for me with some delicious baked chicken and a garden salad.

I am not certain why it happens but occasionally foods that you eat regularly may bother you for a few hours. I do hate when it happens because I then feel like I did not get enough good Protein in.

I don't have dumping, I just get that blocked feeling with a bit of nausea mixed in and as you said even Water doesn't work for a while.

I will say that I noticed the recovery time improves over time.

I'm glad the recovery time improves over time, but I'm not happy to hear that even you--people who are quite a ways past surgery--still have this happen. This is definitely a huge lifestyle change. People need to realize that presurgery. Although there are so many benefits...i guess it's just something that must be expected, and patiently endured.

My surgical center provides a stage-by-stage diet plan including portion sizes. My stage 2 was no more than 2oz of yogurt/mashed potatoes/cottage cheese at a time, 4x daily.

Post bypass is an experiment that each person needs to take part in. What food agrees with me may not agree with you. Stick to your measured portions 3-4x daily and make sure you are getting in all your Protein as well as Water. That way you'll KNOW you're eating the right amount and not too much.

If you need to break the meals down into smaller portions....so be it.

Edited by jj7481

Incidentally when I do have a meal that reacts this way. I wait a few hours and will have a small pot of chocolate chai tea made with skim milk. It is very soothing and my pouch loves it.

It also makes up my missing Protein as its made with 16 oz of delicious skim milk with a hint of chocolate and chai spices.

It is my absolute favorite treat and provides 17 grams of protein.

@@Djmohr

where do you buy the chai tea and what kind of chocolate?

It took a long time today, but I finally started feeling better at about 4pm this afternoon! I had 1/4 c cream of wheat this morning and nothing until about 2 (i couldn't eat or drink anything), when i had a Premier Protein shake, or rather, half of one. I drank the other half about 3:30....and as I said, started feeling better a while after that. It wasn't a great food day but i did get my Protein in...had a Quest bar tonight (20 g) as a snack, and earlier,1/3 cup clam chowder and 3 crackers for dinner. Didn't get all my fluids in, though.

@@bugsy72

Hi there! I buy chocolate chai tea from Teavanna. There is cocoa nib in the tea it is not something I add. It has a subtle hint of chocolate and lovely chai spices. It is a loose tea and wonderful treat.

I order mine online. You can buy a 2 oz. sample and try it. I loved it so much that I bought a whole pound of it. LOL!

@@Djmohr

Thanks for the tip. I'm not a huge tea drinker, more of a coffee drinker...but i may have to check this out. I do like Chai tea...

i love teavannas teas i have some in my cabnit right now yum

I still have the occasional experience like this. It happened last night for me with some delicious baked chicken and a garden salad.

I am not certain why it happens but occasionally foods that you eat regularly may bother you for a few hours. I do hate when it happens because I then feel like I did not get enough good Protein in.

I don't have dumping, I just get that blocked feeling with a bit of nausea mixed in and as you said even Water doesn't work for a while.

I will say that I noticed the recovery time improves over time.

I too still have issues 6 months out. I keep the Zofran handy and am resigned as this is my current "normal".

So today I am confused. This morning i went out to Breakfast with my family and had about 1/4 cup of cottage cheese plus coffee (30 min before and 30 min after eating). At lunch time I ate a "think thin" Protein bar (20g). I grabbed a bottle of Water for the afternoon--I was going to be out and about on errands. Well as the afternoon went on, my stomach started feeling weirder and weirder...as in "not good." I really couldn't even drink the Water. I thought i might throw up about 4pm but it didn't happen. But just didn't feel good. Now, at 6:35, i'm having a premier Protein shake to at least get my Protein in for the day. Why does my pouch cause me such frustration? Maybe it didn't like the Protein Bar? But I ate one before without a problem.

@@bugsy72

Hi there! I buy chocolate chai tea from Teavanna. There is cocoa nib in the tea it is not something I add. It has a subtle hint of chocolate and lovely chai spices. It is a loose tea and wonderful treat.

I order mine online. You can buy a 2 oz. sample and try it. I loved it so much that I bought a whole pound of it. LOL!

I just bought some on Amazon in preparation - thanks for the tip!

I haven't had surgery yet but from what I've read on here maybe it would be worth you going in for a check up to see what's up? Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

So today I am confused. This morning i went out to Breakfast with my family and had about 1/4 cup of cottage cheese plus coffee (30 min before and 30 min after eating). At lunch time I ate a "think thin" Protein Bar (20g). I grabbed a bottle of Water for the afternoon--I was going to be out and about on errands. Well as the afternoon went on, my stomach started feeling weirder and weirder...as in "not good." I really couldn't even drink the water. I thought i might throw up about 4pm but it didn't happen. But just didn't feel good. Now, at 6:35, i'm having a Premier Protein shake to at least get my Protein in for the day. Why does my pouch cause me such frustration? Maybe it didn't like the protein bar? But I ate one before without a problem.

My pouch is frustrating as well. My guess would be the protein bar. I used to eat them and then got to where they just didn't agree with the pouch. My pouch sort of runs my life now. I saw my surgeon on Thursday and talked or him about how nauseated I've been and how I've had about two weeks where I can barely eat any protein, I have to drink it. He said it didn't sound alarming and to talk to their nutritionist about dropping back to stage 2 of eating plan. So, I've been drinking lots of Isopure Protein Drinks. I've also become very sensitive to milk products which really bothers me because I had been eating cottage cheese every single day, but now it upsets my stomach. I don't have any answers, unfortunately, just know you aren't alone.