Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcoholism & WLS

Before getting my sleeve, the pre-op cardiologist made a remark that I didn't really remember until now. He said "I see a lot of people get weight loss surgery and become mild alcoholics. Don't know why that is but be mindful of that."

It was weird to me because I don't drink, but for those of you who are much further out than I, have your liquor consumption habits changed? Did you not before, but do now? Did surgery change how you feel about alcohol? Or is this just one of those things I shouldn't be too worried about?

This is true to some degree,not for me though.I was a mild alcoholic before surgery .I am 17 months out of surgery and I hate liquor.Some ppl I know are full blown alcoholics and gain weight back.

Nope, no changes here.

I'm nearly 18 months post-op.

I am nearly 8 months out. I was nearly paranoid about drinking and decided to have a glass of wine at six months. Not sure what I thought would happen...spontaneously combust maybe. All went fine. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't hold enough alcohol to get tipsy, much less get drunk or become an alcoholic. I now enjoy a glass of wine about three evenings a week. I make sure to choose a wine low in calories and I measure out 1/2 cup before I drink. I like having my wine back. I now know I can enjoy my old pastime of visiting wineries.

Edited by maggie409

Many folks don't know the definition of "social drinking." For women it's one serving of alcohol a day for no more than 7 drinks a week. (BTW, 12 ounces of wine is at least two servings.)

For men it's 2 drinks a day for no more than 14 drinks a week.

More than that and you're no longer a social drinker.

I quit drinking before surgery long before, in an effort to lose weight on my own. I still have no interest. When I go out I drink Water with lime and tip very well.

I only know one person personally that had WLS. They never drank before surgery. They were a homebody and felt unattractive. Fast forward to them being down 100lbs. They feel better, more confident, going out several times a week. Lots of drinking. I think that is how some people become alcoholics.

Other people who have not done the emotional work, need alcohol as a replacement coping drug because they dont have food.

I had an occasional drink before and still only have an occasional one now...now change there

It can be a transfer addiction for many people. Your Dr just wanted you to be aware of it.

transfer addiction - Dr wanted you to be aware of it.

@@Afrikanaaa

i was going to say the exact above phrase

@@Daisee68 beat me to it

she is such a smarty pants!!! :rolleyes:

(i taught her everything she knows) LOL

since you (or anyone) no longer has the vice of overeating

it's possible you might turn to some other bad habit (like alcohol)

smoking, shopping etc in excess

or.............coming to BP too often!!

i was never much of a drinker

now i drink all the time

Water of course :lol:

drinking to your health

good luck

kathy

I'm curious - just what is a "mild alcoholic"?

True alcoholism is an emotional and physical dependence on alcohol and there isn't anything "mild" about it.

For health reaaons, 1 drink a day is considered max for healthy for women. It's pretty easy to go over that if you often have a glass of wine with dinner (i think a serving is 5 oz). I don't think I'd call a woman who has 8 drinks a week an alcoholic, but have more than is healthy.

I think the reason is your body handles alcohol differently post sleeve.

I have gone through times when I was having more than my 7, but like now I haven't had ANY in around a month for health reasons (recovering from surgery)

I have a girlfriend who is not a wls patient, going through a difficult divorce and she definitely drinks 2x the amount that is recommended for women. Not sure I'd call her an alcoholic, but it's more than is healthy.

Anyway, empty calories, doesn't help you build lean mass, lots of reasons to limit jt.

True alcoholism is an emotional and physical dependence on alcohol and there isn't anything "mild" about it.

This.

It's kind of like being pregnant. No such thing as being just a little pregnant. You either are or you aren't.

So a woman who has more than 7, 5 oz servings of wine in a given week is an alcoholic? As someone who lives in "wine country" I guess there are alot of them here.

I have known alcoholics - their consumption impacted their lives in a negative way.

I am not defending drinking, as it really is just empty calories, just saying that I am not sure comparing it to a yes/no condition like pregnancy is quite accurate.

I don't consider someone that has dessert every day as part of an overall decent diet is a food addict either - again empty calories so I don't think we should do it, but it isn't a clinical addiction.

This.

It's kind of like being pregnant. No such thing as being just a little pregnant. You either are or you aren't.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I'm not going to give it too much worry and I'll just focus on becoming even more addicted to my healthy sleeve lifestyle ????

Edited by Afrikanaaa

There is a difference between having a glass of wine with dinner to compliment the meal and downing a whole bottle of 2 buck chuck from Trader Joes just so you can fall asleep at night.

While I think mild alcoholism is a dumb term. The bar for what makes you an alcoholic from a medical standpoint is too low, too black and white and too linear.

I would say the thing to be watch for especially if you are young, and even more if you are single is that once you start socializing and dating, it is easy for calories to creep in. This happened to me at the tail end of last year. Started dating, going out more and it was hard to track and estimate calories from restaurants without nutritional value. It is too easy to start enjoyying your weight loss and pick up bad habits you didn't have before.