Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

oh no someone died? that's so sad. :-(

@@sassyfrass23

I cried too :( I felt HORRIBLE for his mom.

But didn't you find it interesting that Dr Shaw has done 1200 surgeries, and only has lost 3 patients? I'm terrible at math, but those are some pretty low odds of death....

oh no someone died? that's so sad. :-(

Oh I'm sorry Daveo! I spoiled it for you! But the episode is so sad, it's better to be prepared actually. He was such a sweet person!

I'm still tearing up about it :(

It really is better to be prepared. I was not prepared I was so shocked. I believe I was watching while I was doing pre-op testing and I was crushed.

He was so sick though before.

So many of the people they operated on are in such terrible health, it is amazing that they have so few deaths.

@@prettyCali916 I've always dreamed of going there! dang my mouth was watering when you described the fresh bread. lol

I'm telling you - you have to go when you are 10lbs below goal. The things they do to food. Omg. Bangers and mash might sound like just sausage and potatoes but it's delicious when prepared right. And back to the bread. They made mini loaves so I often had a loaf in my purse for whenever we had tea if I wasn't going to be anywhere fancy. But yeah - I'll stop. I'm 4 days post op and I don't know why I'm doing this. Maybe because I haven't had any cravings yet lol. Sorry!!!!!

@@Daveo & @@prettyCali916 My mouth was watering over the chocolate bar! Mmmmm....I love chocolate. You gotta stop!

I LOVE that they refer to the OR as the theater. It's sounds so much more exciting when put in those words :)

Lol!!! Yeah it does! It's a military term too - my husband was in theater today: he was in a big room for a briefing. Lol!!!

They make everything sound so divine!!!!

I'll leave the chocolate alone.

Maybe we should plan a losers bench trip to the UK. Only requirement, be at least 10lbs below goal lol!!!!

@@prettyCali916 hahaha a mini loaf in your purse, I love that!

@@sassyfrass23

But didn't you find it interesting that Dr Shaw has done 1200 surgeries, and only has lost 3 patients? I'm terrible at math, but those are some pretty low odds of death....

That's what.....1 in 400 chances of dying from the surgery itself?? Those are pretty phenomenal numbers. I was surprised at one point to see his partner operating over an open GB without a mask though. Seemed a little less than sanitary...

@@Babbs oh no worries, I'm glad I know now. Especially since I'm trying to watch them at work and I would hate to be sad at work.

@@prettyCali916 - I'm down for a loser's bench trip to the UK! Tell me when and I'll start packing :P

It really is better to be prepared. I was not prepared I was so shocked. I believe I was watching while I was doing pre-op testing and I was crushed.

He was so sick though before.

So many of the people they operated on are in such terrible health, it is amazing that they have so few deaths.

Death has been at the back of my mind during my pre-op stage and as I get closer to the big day, that episode acted as the wake up call I needed. I knew it was a possibility and since I haven't been under anesthesia for any time longer than 30 min max in my life, I've been a bit nervous. But the last week or so I've gotten so caught up in thoughts about life AFTER surgery so sweet Daniel brought me back into reality.

And yes- for the size patients & health conditions they operate on, their low numbers of fatality are impressing.

@@sassyfrass23

That's what.....1 in 400 chances of dying from the surgery itself?? Those are pretty phenomenal numbers. I was surprised at one point to see his partner operating over an open GB without a mask though. Seemed a little less than sanitary...

They explained that in a few episodes. Basically since they are operating on the intestines, it isn't a sterile environment anyway. Once they cut the intestines, bye bye sterile operating room. Especially back when they were doing open surgeries. I think by the time they switch to laprscopic, they always wear masks.

Also, they tailor the death chances to the patient. Most of them were told 1 in 50, to 1 in 200 depending on the status of their health. When they go over the release forms they explain the chances to them.

By the time I decided to have surgery I had decided it would be better to just die fast in surgery, than to keep killing myself slowly with food. I felt I had nothing to lose.

@@OutsideMatchInside I obviously need to put my phone down while watching this...lol. I miss small bits of info like what you just shared with me. The way you just worded death was perfect and put me at more ease with my fears. Thank you.

@@prettyCali916 - I'm down for a loser's bench trip to the UK! Tell me when and I'll start packing :P

Good! Me too!!! 10 lbs under goal!!!! :)

So for me, maybe this time next year?

@@OutsideMatchInside I obviously need to put my phone down while watching this...lol. I miss small bits of info like what you just shared with me. The way you just worded death was perfect and put me at more ease with my fears. Thank you.

When i was on my preop diet I binged watched the whole series start to finish like 2 times. It was the only thing I could watch that would keep my mind off food and eating. I watched it all day while I worked, and in the evenings, if I didn't watch Fat Doctor I don't think I could have made it through the pre-op diet.