Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Energy levels after your operation

I'm having surgery in a couple of weeks and just interested to hear other peoples experience with energy levels during the honeymoon phase where weight drops off you. Do you feel exhausted, or we're you ok as long as you reached your Protein quota? Not sure what to expect really. Any thoughts??

For me the first week was very low energy. After that week I went back to work half days (desk job not a lot of stress) and needed naps in the afternoon for another week or so. Then my energy level seemed to even out.

Since you are having a mini bypass it is very difficult for me to compare to a full on bypass which is more complex.Each person is different.5 weeks out I still have low energy.

It literally kicked my butt! I have had two prior surgeries and was thinking it would be similar but it wasn't. I had surgery on Thursday night, flew home on Saturday and went back to work Tuesday though I had zero energy, I started leaving work early after things were finished just to go home and nap on the couch. Now, I should also point out that I developed pneumonia in both lungs so I'm not honestly sure if it was surgery or pneumonia that took ALL of my energy but I didn't feel normal again for about 8 weeks. My advice, prepare for the worst, hope for the best ;)

I had RNY 16 months ago. I am down 140lbs and very close to goal but still losing.

The first week is the roughest from an energy perspective. I was on Clear liquids for that week and had not yet started Protein. Week 2 was better after starting Protein shakes on a full liquid diet. At week 3 more improvement but still exhausted by early afternoon.

By week 4 things improved a lot but would still get tired in afternoon. At week 8 I felt pretty much like myself again.

The reality is it is difficult to get enough fluids and Protein in during those first few weeks because you are very swollen. You literally have to be sipping Water and protein all day long. If you don't, you get tired, dehydrated which then causes a whole host of other symptoms. It is a vicious circle.

Most people learn very quickly how critical proper hydration is and then of course the protein which helps you heal.

It all sounds so easy but right after surgery you really do not feel like eating or drinking anything so getting a minimum of 48 to 64 oz of fluids in is much more difficult than you think.

For me, getting used to executing fluids every single was more difficult than the surgery itself. Once I was about 8 weeks post op, life became much more normal for me and I am still losing 16 months post op. I am about to head into maintenance.

Good luck to you!

I am super active, and it took me a good few weeks to have energy levels back to what they were before surgery. rEmember, you are taking in little calories, and its hard to get your Protein levels up..

I was sleeved and was pretty much a flat noodle until I started regular cooked foods at one month. From there on my energy started coming back in small measures.

Thanks for all your responses -- I shall re-set my expectations! Think I was being a bit optimistic. Will done on all your weight loses; it's inspirational to see your progress. Cheers