Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WLS is a pretty strong tool! Whether you’re just gaining restriction (as with the lap-band), or you have the added benefit of changes in hunger hormones (as with the gastric sleeve), or you have have nutrient malabsorption thrown in, too (as with the bypass), the surgery plus some careful eating on your part is theoretically enough to give you “success” – lose weight and keep it off.

But in real life? A lot of other things are helpful, too! Having ready-to-heat high-Protein meals, Protein Bars, and Protein shakes, for example, helps you stick to the diet plan. Having a gym membership – or even a personal trainer – can keep you motivated and focused as you get fit and burn more calories.

Or maybe you just need (or want) more information – maybe you appreciate the forums, or you are lucky enough to have healthcare providers who are available to answer your questions so you can be absolutely sure you’re on the right track. Or maybe you love having a meal-tracking app to hit your calories and protein every day.

What I’m wondering is what you feel are the best tools you have to improve your success in the WLS journey – whether they save you time (such as meal preparation kits), make you lose weight faster (such as having an exercise buddy), reduce stress, or help in any other way. Share them here – and maybe you’ll get some ideas from other members about other fantastic tools and tips!

Regular visits to my therapist!

Therapy, MyFitnessPal, and my physical therapist who doubles as a fitness trainer have been my biggest tools outside of my surgery. I also have a partial YMCA membership through my physical therapist that gives me access to the pool and the exercise equipment, and that has been really useful. Mostly what works best for me is keeping myself accountable and staying positive when I feel discouraged by my PCOS and the accompanying stalls. It's easy to feel like a failure if you're not seeing an accurate report of your progress, both physically and mentally.

Exercise is a big one.

It helps to keep stress levels down and watching the calories that you burn on a treadmill, for example....really is a great reminder as to how hard it is to burn off those candy bars and extra beers.

This Bariatric Pal community is another big one. There is so much insight, support and understanding expressed by the members here.

The best tool I was given was watching my swallow test live. It helped me understand how my sleeve works.

Tracking food with an app. The app doesn't matter but tracking every day even the bad choices helps you understand calories and keeps you accountable.

Get a dog that requires walking!

one of my most helpful, is to make regular use of my old LBT 'smaller plated' and 'smaller dishes' eating equipment. My drinking cup is 3 oz; my little gruel bowl holds barely a 1/2 cup.

When I use the larger Cereal bowl, for instance, that is nearly 2 cups, for the life of me I continually cue from that and revert back to fixing that amount....while the 1/2 cup really is nearly adequate.

And periodic review of this very forum tends to help me head in the right direction.

Cheers

For me it is about keeping track. Using a tool like myfitnesspal truly keeps me accountable.

Snacks and meals add up and the reality is if you really don't track it it's hard for me to really know where I am at. It also allows me to make better choices.

So if I want that small piece of cheesecake, I then have to make sure the rest of my day is right on track.

I also use ready made shakes and Protein bars when I need my Protein and don't have access.

Exercise, Nike Fuel to track my movement, Bariastic to track my food, and this app for peer support.

My top 3 are a a digital food scale, my food log app, and this site!

I track every bite I eat on MFP, which helps me keep my eating in check. I have to be brutally honest with myself, which is sometimes easier said than done.

I come to BP daily. The topics and conversation range from reminders of why I had WLS and how to succeed, to enlightening about things I never thought of, to a sense of camaraderie.

Both of these things really point to the primary objective for me, and that is to maintain a lot of focus on my diet. I have to keep my plan in the forefront of my mind at all times in order to maintain my lifestyle change. Even at three years out, I can't say my new habits are stronger than the old ones of overeating. Obesity is never cured, and something I have to fight hard to keep at bay. Totally worth the effort!

I am at the 5.5 months mark.

My best tool is my FitBit, I go walking everyday. I live in the country, up and down hills. I try to go downhill skiing when I can.

But I found that keeping track of how many miles I walk everyday is very motivating.

I am a few lbs from my goal and my dr said I was perfect.

Lots of new clothes help !!1

Number 1 tool is scheduling. Looking at the week ahead and making sure I have a workout plan and a rough idea of what I am going to eat.

Multi-gym membership through my insurance. I love this. I am able to hit about 6 different gyms in my area. I am not very good at working out so I like classes. I have printed all the schedules out and every week make a plan of attack as to what I am going to do each day depending on my work and dance rehearsal schedules.

Batch cooking and repeat meals. I am a boring eater during the week. I make a big batch of turkey chili over the weekend and freeze 2/3 of it. This will last me a week or two depending on what other foods I eat during that time. I make hardboiled eggs and buy Perdue precooked chicken strips.

As for tools, my nutribullet is awesome for my shakes, a good Water bottle, and my weight tracking app.

1. Always have a plan!

Never leave the house without knowing that wherever you're going, you will be able to stick to your program.

Always have emergency food in case of the unknown. My car has beef Jerky and/or almonds in the trunk.

Drink a Protein shake on your way to a party so you don't arrive hungry.

Always bring a big jug of Crystal Light (or your sugar-free drink of choice) to a party. If you keep your sleeve/pouch full of liquid, you are less likely to go off your plan.

At restaurants, be careful with appetizers, never order the starch (ask for a second veggie instead), and skip the dessert. Spaghetti with meat sauce (but without the spaghetti) is basically chili and very filling. Seafood Pasta without the Pasta is even more delicious, and still fills you up. Ask for Water with lemon and put some sweetener in it so you can wet your whistle. (But don't drink more than a sip or two.) No point in paying for iced tea that you won't drink.

Try to get some exercise at least every other day.

Exercise, MFP, digital kitchen scale, Nutribullet, WiFi smart scale

A well stocked kitchen with WLS friendly foods, my trainer, and extra Protein bars and drinks everywhere I might be.

Edited to add this site.... Lots of great info and people here????