Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need help/a kick in the pants

Hey y'all, I hate that I even have to write this down. I had my surgery in June, it's been amazingly successful for me. I'm so close to onederland, I'm currently sitting at 205lbs. and I just want to get to 199 and from there 150-160. I'm more focused on how I feel than any particular number.

However, I apparently need some additional motivation, or butt kicking, or something. I can't stop eating crap food. I have no idea why. I know what I'm supposed to do. I know that it's AT LEAST 60g Protein and 64oz of Water. I know I'm supposed to limit carbs. When I'm eating well I log everything, when I'm eating poorly I don't log anything. As if not logging it somehow means it didn't happen.

I go to the gym 5 days a week for 10,000 steps and I weight train twice a week with a trainer. Most of the time I start the week well. Protein shake for Breakfast, Salmon for lunch, and a healthy crockpot meal for dinner. Then someone says lets get Starbucks, or brings home chips, and the other day I bought all this healthy food and then there was nowhere to put it because there was a tub of ice cream in the fridge. If it's in the house I'm eating it. It's terrible.

Every adult in the house is sleeved and my intentions are so good but my will power is not. I've asked them not to bring the stuff home but they don't stop. I don't actively buy junk when I shop. I don't go looking for it but I feel like the surgery and all the money we paid will be wasted if I can't get my eating under control.

I also had my surgery in Mexico so I didn't get great information on how much to eat, with the working out I've been trying to stay around 800 calories. Could someone please tell me if that is enough? It seems that when I eat a little bit more I seem to lose better. Anyways, I would love to hear from you guys even if it's just to tell me to quit being a baby and making excuses.

I want this to be successful, I don't want to gain the weight back.

You have done a great job so far and will continue to do so.

Don't beat yourself up. Maybe get back to basics and journal your daily food/quantities, liquids and Protein. Include the times and maybe comments ("I was emotionally stressed out", "Stayed 2 hours late at work, ate late while very hungry", etc., so you can maybe see a trend, the quantities or come up with a plan to mitigate the too many less-than-healthy choices.

kick-in-the-pants.jpg

(Did this help? :))

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

Congratulations on your progress so far. It sounds like you have done really well, especially with so little information and post-op support.

I am not a NUT but here is what I think, based in my own experience and understanding.

I suggest you find a good bariatric NUT and make an appointment.

Track your food. How else will you know whether or not you are reaching your nutritional targets?

60 grams of Protein is really low. Were you never given a Protein target? Mine is at least 100 grams, a day, for life. 60 grams is very low and I would consider that a bare minimum for someone just out of the hospital, not someone who is actively trying to lose weight and is exercising. The protein target is a minimum.

The same with the Fluid target. It is a MINIMUM of 64 oz. a day.

You need more calories. For someone who is exercising as much as you are, you need more calories.

Carbs are not the enemy. Starches, added sugar, high fructose corn Syrup and processed carbs are what are unhealthy.

Willpower is a bunch of hooey. Feed your body delicious, nutritious food and it will be easier to bypass the crap.

Critical success factors for me:

Follow my program.

Eat slowly and chew thoroughly.

Focus on getting in all of my protein and fluids, every day.

Take my Vitamins and supplements, every day.

Exercise.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Congratulations on your progress so far. It sounds like you have done really well, especially with so little information and post-op support.

I am not a NUT but here is what I think, based in my own experience and understanding.

Track your food. How else will you know whether or not you are reaching your nutritional targets?

60 grams of Protein is really low. Were you never given a Protein target? Mine is at least 100 grams, a day, for life. 60 grams is very low and I would consider that a bare minimum for someone just out of the hospital, not someone who is actively trying to lose weight and is exercising. The protein target is a minimum.

You need more calories. For someone who is exercising as much as you are, you need more calories.

Carbs are not the enemy. Starches, added sugar, high fructose corn Syrup and processed carbs are what are unhealthy.

Willpower is a bunch of hooey. Feed your body delicious, nutritious food and it will be easier to bypass the crap.

Follow my program.

Exercise.

Embrace the Stall!

They told me 60g protein was goal, 80 for men. They said get the protein, drink the Water, take it easy on the carbs, and exercise. That's what I know. 600-800 calories a day but they didn't say if that was with or without exercise.

So I am almost 11 months out and have been stalled for the last 3 months. I started orange theory HIIT training 4 days a week and GAINED weight. This prompted me to start researching why. Short answer: inflammation Water weight. However, this lead me down the road of how is my eating (your story sounds just like me!) I came across the Paleo plan. I want to post about this once I have travelled down the Paleo road a bit longer but it really makes sense to me (especially not tracking calories). It is a lifestyle change not simply focusing on food.

Here is a link I found useful to just get an idea of chaining my mind set. Maybe it will help.

http://paleoleap.com/how-we-get-fat/

Edited by akreese02

Hi....I don't get it. Every adult in the house is sleeved. So, who is bringing the tempting stuff home, and why aren't they being informative and supportive of your efforts?

You do need to eliminate roadblocks one by one, and the first one is to insist on support from the family, since they should understand. Although, you did not say if they were successful along the way themselves or are losing ground because of the junk edibles.

Follow my program.

Exercise.

Embrace the Stall!

They told me 60g protein was goal, 80 for men. They said get the protein, drink the Water, take it easy on the carbs, and exercise. That's what I know. 600-800 calories a day but they didn't say if that was with or without exercise.

My surgeon's protein targets are:

All men and anyone with a starting BMI of over 50 -- 100 grams

Everyone else -- 80 grams

You said you noticed that you lost better when you upped your calories. It is probably because you haven't been getting enough protein and calories.

Congratulations on your success! Definitely track your food, and I agree, you are not eating enough. Make sure the calories you add are Proteins, healthy fats, and complex carbs. These foods not only give you the fuel you need, they stick with you.

My other concern is that you mention "everyone in the house is sleeved". Then what is ice cream doing there? I'm inferring that your family are all sleeved - which means that the entire family had unhealthy relationships with food to unlearn. I'd really recommend getting everyone together to talk about this. You all got sleeved to get healthy, and to enable you all to make different choices. It's time for some mutual problem-solving and accountability, with the help of a counselor skilled in bariatric issues if necessary.

Good luck!

Edited by 2goldengirl

This.

Get rid of the junk.

See if there is a bariatric support group nearby and consider talking to a counselor or therapist.

Even though you had your surgery in Mexico, that doesn't mean you can't create your own support team.

Everyone in the house is sleeved. We've talked to her about it but she just keeps buying it. Ice cream, chips, kettle corn, cookie dough, cake, and crackers. Crazy amounts of bread that we will never eat.

When it's not in the house I don't go searching for it but it makes it damn hard sometimes.

She has lost an amazing amount of weight, more in fact than I have. She started at a much higher weight than everyone in the house and so we assumed that without even trying she would have a significant loss.

We have asked her a million times not to bring it in, we have all explained that its hard on the others when one person gets derailed and brings it in. I've gone so far as to throw it away when she's not home or tell her she has to take it with her.

Sometimes I feel like it was all for nothing. I wanted to be healthy, I wanted to live my life and be happy. I am so much better now than I was before but I still have so much work to do. I'm not sure why it has to be this way when we all decided this was what we needed to do to be healthy. I knew it would be hard, I knew that I would have to make substantial changes.

It just drives me crazy that we can't all be on the same page together. However I will toughen up, and I will keep working, see a NUT, and adjust my diet accordingly.

@@FancyCakes

It will be all for nothing for HER if she keeps eating like that, not for you. You care about continuing your journey, she doesn't seem to. She's fooling herself if she thinks she can continue to eat like that and maintain her loss. The party will come to an end. I guarantee it.

You somehow need to put your foot down about the food being brought in. Have her hide it or separate it from you. Or even have a come to Jesus talk with her and let her know the way she's eating is affecting or will affect both of your weight loss journeys.

The other thing is just keeping yourself so full of Protein and fluids you can't possibly want or even fit that stuff into your sleeve. That's really what has worked for me most of the time. When I want to eat, I drink Water. I ALWAYS follow the Protein first rule. so I stay satisfied longer.

Good luck!

Sorry you are having challenges, but remember this is the real world. Temptation will be around us at every turn.

My husband does not need the surgery and eats all of the things you mentioned. I DO have to practice will power EVERY day. I move the cake over to get to my apple and try to overlook other tempting treats. Unfortunately, I cannot remove these items from our house.

The 1st six months after surgery , the loss takes less effort. The difficult work, for a lot of us, start after the infamous honeymoon period. I am not at goal and I'm over a year out. I was told to increase my calories to 1200 calories at six months because I was working out four days a week. The loss started again. However, after Thanksgiving I've been at a stand still (TWO MONTHS)! So, I feel your pain.

Edited by Kathy812