Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six week pre-op diet

Hi everyone

I'm new to these forums and about to start a six week (minus 3 days) pre-op Optifast diet on 1st February, my op is booked in for 11th March.

My surgeon has allowed the late start so I could go to my friends birthday lunch on 31st January.

The Dietician has said I can have 4 Optifast products and 2 cups non starchy vegetables daily and at least 2 litres Water, hoping I don't have too many problems.

I have been hanging around these forums for a while but only registered a few days ago. Good luck to all my fellow MGBypassers who are either starting out on their journey like me or have been steadily progressing towards or reaching their goal.

Marie

Welcome to the forums! You will find lots of good folks with lots of experience.

Thank you, I'm ready to start my diet tomorrow after having a lovely lunch with my friend. She is the only person other than my husband who I have told, other friends think I am going in for a reflux repair which I am having done at the same time as the MGB.

Edited by MissyMe

Hi Marie

Yep, I'm starting my pre-op diet as well tomorrow. I only have 2 weeks of it, and my MGB is booked for 16 Feb. I've been like a bear with a sore head today as I just don't know how I will go with the Protein shakes. You never know they may taste gorgeous!! Let's hope so. It's good to know someone else is in the same boat. Good luck.

Hi Lizzie

Good luck to you as well and hoping you like the taste of the Protein shakes. I have had the Optifast shakes before and while not my preferred drink of choice, I found them to be more enjoyable the longer I was on them.

I'm a bit jealous you only have another two weeks wait for your surgery. Hope everything goes ok with the shakes and lets keep each other informed on our progress

Marie

Hi Marie

How are you doing of your pre-op diet? I'm not finding it too bad, and the Protein Shakes are keeping the hunger away.

Thinking of you

Lizzie

Hi Lizzie

Yeah I'm not finding it too bad either. I am feeling hungry at times but is easy to ignore, although yesterday and today have been really good, the headaches seem to have gone as well.

The Optifast chocolate bars are horrible and the taste is quite unpalatable, I take it the taste of your Protein shakes wasn't that bad.

Take care of yourself and hoping we both get through the rest of the pre-op with no fuss.

Marie

Yeah I agree the Optifast chocolate bar was not that great - but the Cappuccino one I thought was pretty good. I was quite tired Mon and Tues but better now. Evenings are hardest as that was my snacking-time!

I know it will be worth it, and I'm feeling lighter already - but won't get on scales until I've done a full week.

Cheers

Lizzie

Hi Lizzie

Yep! Most definitely worth it

Marie

Hi Lizzie

Good luck for your surgery on the 16th, hoping everything goes beautifully.

Marie

Thanks Marie - I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi Marie. Just got home after the operation. All went well, absolutely no pain post-op, just mild discomfort. It's hard keeping the Fluid levels up but I'm working on it. It seems I can take 3 sips, then need to wait a few minutes before I take any more. But no hunger whatsoever. Hope your pre-op diet is still going well. It will be worth it. Cheers. Lizzie

Hi Lizzie, sorry I haven't replied sooner but life gets in the way sometimes. Hoping you are keeping well and managing to get enough Protein and fluids in. Glad everything went well with the op, I guess you will be nearing the end of the fluids stage soon and losing heaps of weight.

Today marks exactly two weeks before my surgery on the 11th and getting a little bit nervous. I'm finding the pre-op diet reasonably easy but will be glad when it is finished as it seems to be going on forever.

Marie

Hi Marie. I'm doing ok. Recovered from the operation really well and no hic-cups along the way. I don't get hungry at all. But I am totally struggling to get enough protein; I'm no where near getting enough. I just can't tolerate the Optifast now, and I've bought loads of different Protein powders trying to find something that I could cope with. But still no joy. Today I bought some egg white liquid, and have a smoothie recipe for it - so will try that later. On the up side tonight I puréed some of my husbands chilli meal, and it was gorgeous.

Weight-wise I've lost 3kg in 2 weeks, and to be honest I'm a bit disappointed with that. But perhaps the lack of protein has been slowing me down.

Less than 2 weeks and it will be you - if it helps I don't regret it at all.

Keep in touch

Lizzie

Hi Lizzie, so glad you haven't had any setbacks. Don't worry about the numbers on the scale just work on getting your Water and Protein in, then things will start moving in the right direction. I actually think 3 kgs is great, when was the last time you lost that much in 2 weeks. Keep following your surgeons and dieticians plan and you will do well.

This weight loss thing isn't a race, in the end most people lose their excess weight and I'm sure you and I will be successful too. When we weigh ourselves in kgs it always sounds less than pounds, so you have lost 6.61 pounds - sounds much better, and would probably be an average weight loss on these forums.

Me, I'm getting a bit nervous now but everything is fine, just getting sick of Optifast and non starchy vegies. Please take care of yourself, will keep in touch.

Marie