Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK Ladies, kinda embarrasing question for you all

@@proudgrammy

OK guys!! The answer to the question is.......SHE DID NOT ????and to top it off there was no shaved bits when I woke up???????? I am officially sleeved, had no sickness or upset tummy. Nothing had come back up. Just a little tender on the abdomen and I will be flying back home tomorrow. Yay, I can finally get to the losers bench ????????????

Edited by Adina's_Journey

I had a catheter and I didn't shave, and they didn't shave me. That is not where they're doing surgery. All the incisions are above the belly button.

@@proudgrammy

OK guys!! The answer to the question is.......SHE DID NOT and to top it off there was no shaved bits when I woke up I am officially sleeved, had no sickness or upset tummy. Nothing had come back up. Just a little tender on the abdomen and I will be flying back home tomorrow. Yay, I can finally get to the losers bench

Wooooo HOooooo!!! Welcome to the losers' bench---fully "coated". :)

I was sleeved 2/15/17 and did make it a point to ask if I would be baring all on the table or if I would be 'covered' for modesty.

All my incisions were above my belly button and they told me that I would be covered from my private down, so shaving was never even a thought in my mind... no cath either.

Now whether that took place during, I can't say, but they had warming blankets piled on me before I went to sleep and when I woke up!

I'm waiting for insurance authorization for a VSG now, but I've had 2 other surgeries on my abdominal area that required catheterization and neither time was I required to shave beforehand, nor did I wake up shaved. One of those surgeries included a "bikini line" incision, even. Having said that, I recognize that we are all different and (TMI), I just don't have a ton of hair in that area.

I'm especially interested in receiving my pre-op paperwork after reading this. I've only shaved once and regretted it immensely, lol! :)

On 2/18/2017 at 0:33 PM, ANewLife4_Me said:

I was sleeved 2/15/17 and did make it a point to ask if I would be baring all on the table or if I would be 'covered' for modesty.

All my incisions were above my belly button and they told me that I would be covered from my private down, so shaving was never even a thought in my mind... no cath either.

Now whether that took place during, I can't say, but they had warming blankets piled on me before I went to sleep and when I woke up!

You are braver than I. I really don't want to know how I'm going to be all splayed out in front of everyone, lol! However, I figure most surgeons have seen it all, so I'm really not going to stress over it.

Edited by Ms. Brightside

Haha. I'm paranoid like that. They could have lied to my face and I could have been showing the world everything, but it made me sleep better leading up to the surgery at least 'thinking' I was going to be covered! Lol

I have alwaysd been a shaver, I have done this most of my life. I know that some are totally against it but I feel like it keeps me fresher. I had a cath with all of my surgeries. But like I said I was not worried as my bits are taken care of. Since my RNY I don't know why but I defintly don't have the hair down there or on my pits. Shaving is almost a thing of the past. LOL

8 hours ago, Ms. Brightside said:

I'm waiting for insurance authorization for a VSG now, but I've had 2 other surgeries on my abdominal area that required catheterization and neither time was I required to shave beforehand, nor did I wake up shaved. One of those surgeries included a "bikini line" incision, even. Having said that, I recognize that we are all different and (TMI), I just don't have a ton of hair in that area.

I'm especially interested in receiving my pre-op paperwork after reading this. I've only shaved once and regretted it immensely, lol! :)

Same here. Oh, the itchies growing back out! (TMI? :lol: ) There was nothing in my pre-op requirements about shaving, because, as others have pointed out, the surgery isnt anywhere near the hair for most women. I wonder if those places also require men to shave all.

The only thing I had to take special care with was to have a scrupulously clean navel because of its proximity to the main laparoscopic incision.

Im not sure why shaving is necessary even with a catheter... unless its the lower abdominal portion. I dont understand the medical necessity i guess.

I know this was for the ladies but I wasn't aware that you had to shave at all until the night before surgery a male nurse came in and said that he'd shave me in the morning from my chest to my knees. I was like, uhhh NO!!! Thats not happening. He looked pretty stern at me and said "YES! I have to shave you, Dr's orders..." like that was changing my mind. So I hopped on the phone with the doc and told him the belly was perfectly OK but not my "man bits."

My wife had a good laugh and surely asked me after surgery if i was "bare down there." And don't anyone dare ask if it happened. LOL

My instructions say " Do not shave any area that may be involved during surgery (with a list of anatomy parts that may be subject) pre-shaving may cause infection" Well I am not wanting assistance with that as I manage fine now so I will continue to take care of this matter as I do with my showers each morning!

I do know from experience as a military medic "hospital shaves" are not always GQ standards!

I wanted to know if I would be on display too lol..
answer was a def no and I didn't have to wear weird undies like some have to wear the hospital ones.
No catheter either ( thank god)
I would have put it in a heart shape if the answer was a yes for " will it be on display!" Lol...

Wait, we still have pubic hair?

I thought once I couldn't see it anymore it didn't exist!