Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How has gastric bypass effected you?

I just registered and started classes so I am on my way to my gastric bypass surgery, however I am very scared. I was wondering if anyone would like to share their experience with me. How much have you lost? Complications? Regrets? I am in need of support from people who have been through the surgery. I am truly terrified, but also excited at the same time.

I am 32 months post-op RNY surgery. I consider it to be one of the best decisions I ever made. I have written a couple short articles about it. The first one describes my experience in the "Weight Loss" phase. The second describes the "Maintenance" phase. I have also include a before and after photo at the 6 month post-op mark. I have lost additional weight since then but it is unbelievable what can happen in 6 months time.

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Operation.jpg

hello @@antionettemn619y :) I'm about 5.5 months out from my RNY in August. Since the day of surgery, I've lost exactly 100 pounds (just made that milestone this morning when I weighed myself!) and my life has changed in amazing ways. I'm slightly anemic at the moment, though that's mostly my fault for misreading my supplement instructions. Other than that, my health has greatly improved. I had a doctor's appointment 2 days ago and my blood pressure was PERFECT. All my blood work is perfectly normal, save my Iron levels which are being worked on. I have no regrets whatsoever.

It's certainly not easy. Vitamins are going to be a part of your life forever. Social situations may be a little awkward in the beginning, since you won't be able to drink or eat the same things in the same amounts as your friends and family. Changing so many lifelong habits can be difficult at first, though it gets easier. There are also less obvious changes that can be difficult, changes that a lot of people don't often talk about - your identity will change. Your self-image will change. Maybe even your life-priorities will change, because so much more becomes possible when you are no longer obese. People around you may change their behaviors towards you because they aren't sure how to react to the new smaller, more confident you. Some people even have issues with their close family members or spouses.

Is it all worth it? That's going to be for you to decide. But the huge majority of people, myself included, would not reverse this for the world. It took me six months to be brave enough to even go to a seminar, and another 7 months from there to actually have surgery, but now that it's all said and done and I'm becoming the best version of myself, I can honestly say it was the best decision I have ever made.

You'll find plenty of support and advice here. All you have to do is ask. :)

Thank you wonderful encouragement :-)

@@BonnieJo

I am about 10 weeks out from surgery. So far, I have found that the key to success after surgery is the work you put in before surgery. One of my support group buddies likes to point out that "its not brain surgery". The surgery will help you lose the weight, but you still have the same brain that got you in this shape in the first place. Do the work and get your brain ready for later. My NUT had me practicing from day 1 habits that were going to be necessary after surgery, such as the 30/30 rule, eating slowly, Protein, Protein, Protein. Those habits were ingrained enough by surgery that I can focus on other things now to stay on track. You will get out of the surgery what you put into it. If you are ready to put the work in before, you will be able to maintain once you hit goal.

Good luck, and it has been the best decision I have ever made,

pam

I'm 6 wks post op and down 52 lbs. I'm glad I pushed myself to do this as it's already been a dramatic change.

Apprehensions are normal. My biggest bit of advice would be to convey these to your surgical team. Ask questions at your informational session as well as your first consultation. We usually fear what we don't know. So, become informed.

@@antionettemn619y, if you don't mind....what concerns you the most?

Thank you. I'm worried about the eating part of it. I actually eat pretty healthy, I take 3 spin classes a week plus I use my elliptical every day. I just can't seem to loose the weight after having two kids. I'm getting the surgery to prevent future disease and health problems. I don't feel as though I'm as big as society pressure makes me feel. 5'2 220 size 14 jeans. I'm scared. I beat myself up because I can't loose the weight. I don't plan on telling many people because I am embarrassed I guess to admit I'm morbidly obese. I'm scared. I'm hoping I learn a lot in classes if not I'm going to just have to just have the surgery and figure it out. That's what scares me. Not knowing. I feel like I've let myself down. But I am trying so hard. I've been busting my butt for so long to be "morbidly obese" I'm tired of being the biggest person at family parties. Too bad all of my husband's female family members look like super models compared to me.

@@BonnieJo

Hi there! Congratulations on taking steps to get healthy.

I am 16 months post op RNY. I am down 140lbs with 5 left to go to get to my ideal weight.

Prior to surgery I was a mess and chose to do it to get healthy never believing I would really get to a point where I was a normal weight vs. obese or even overweight. Well, I am a normal weight now with a BMI that went from over 44 to 24.5!

I had type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, severe Gerd, sleep apnea, anemia and stage 3 kidney disease. All of these diseases are in remission! Most of them with the first 3 months.

I have had no complications and I don't get sick unless I overeat. When I overeat I get very nauseous and on 3 occasions have vomited. You learn what to do and what not to do very quickly.

For me, this surgery was a breeze. Off pain medication with a couple days of being discharged.

I have gone from a size 26 to a size 10! This really was not the reason I had this surgery but let me tell you as soon as I started feeling better, getting to a normal BMI became my ultimate goal.

I have never ever regretted making this choice, not for 1 second. I used to live to eat and now I eat to live. food just is not as important to me. What I do eat is. I do not waste what little space I have on crap food like I used to.

RNY gastric bypass is the absolute best thing I have ever done for me.

I wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery! Feel free to reach out if you have more questions. I would be happy to help.

Thank you, I am happy to hear how well you are doing. Were there any tools you used to help make the first couple of months easier? Is there an ideal puree machine I could buy that's easy to use and clean?

Thank you , such a wonderful outcome I am so impressed !!!

I am in pretty good health for my age right now just sore back and knees at times....cant wait to feel as great as you sound :-) congratulations on so much success , very inspiring !

Keep in mind those first few weeks can be rough. What I mean by that is you do feel very tired and weak. For me that got better once I was able to get all of my Water, Protein and Vitamins in.

I was on Clear liquids for 2 days before surgery and 7 days after. By the end of that first week I was very weak and when I went for my 1 week check in they advanced me to full liquids for a week, then puréed until I was 4 weeks post op. At the 4 week mark I was able to start eating soft foods.

That is when I really started to feel pretty good. By week 8 I went to Vegas for 11 days and felt like myself again.

I was never actually hungry until about month 4 however I definately dealt with head hunger or cravings. I learned how to distract myself but the hardest part of having weight loss surgery is dealing with head hunger. It is always there and you have to learn to cope with it. Leverage your therapist for some tips.

I'm 3 months out on Feb. 9th. Was I scared? Heck yeah, there was a lot at stake for me. I have 7 kids who depend on me and that I couldn't bare to leave without a mom. I also had a very competent surgeon who saw me through the process. That made all the difference. I had no complications from the surgery itself. I had some complications from the pain killer dilaudid during post op and had to have oxygen support til I gave up the pain killer. The post op pain wasn't that bad by day 2, that I couldn't just deal without pain meds. I was 386lb on the day of surgery and right now, as of today, I'm 329. So not bad for 3 months out. The first month was a touch disappointing though, I won't lie. I lost only 15lbs which was far less than I had been losing on my own pre op, but it did pick up and the 3 wk long 3wk stall was horrendous to my morale, but when it did break, my weight started falling off faster.