Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Personality: INFJ

Weight: 288 lbs

Relationship status: Committed

Health: Good, but not much stamina

That's me, in a nutshell. My favorite thing to do is to travel and explore everything around me. I'm insatiably curious and love interacting with different cultures. I've traveled to several countries with various missionary and relief projects because I believe in spending my resources helping those less fortunate. I love hiking in the woods, zip-lining between mountains, scuba diving, getting intentionally lost in new cities on foot, and meeting new people. Skydiving is on my bucket list. I'm fiercely independent and stubbornness is my fatal flaw.

History: I've done all of these things overweight. I've lost up to 60 lbs (twice), my lowest adult weight being 220 at one time. I felt marvelous and my energy was unending. The weight stayed off for about two years, but when it came back brought another 10 or 20 on top of what my highest had previously been.

Recently, the scale tipped 296, something I never thought I'd see. I was mortified that I'd let myself get that high, as I'd started feeling the physical signs of that much weight: Being physically uncomfortable with that much bulge (sitting comfortably), energy sapping quickly, sore feet after just a couple of hours of exploring New York. Knees painful when climbing stairs.

I noticed in myself the last few months that I've started withdrawing from social situations and meeting new people out of embarrassment over how I look. I had an internet friend visit the states from the UK recently, and I wanted to fly out to meet her. I didn't. I want to visit my dad back home in Minnesota since it's been six years. I'm not.

I've tried two dieting attempts in the past year. I lost 12 lbs doing very strict low carb, which was confusing to me since usually I dropped weight quicker with healthy eating. My doctor explained it as my body becoming resistant to low carb dieting, since I've tried it and failed so many times before. I knew I needed help this time, so I made an appointment with bariatrics to talk about getting put on a dieting pill -- they had another solution for me.

Present: Long story short, I've come to the conclusion that the sleeve will be the help I need to really make a lifestyle change. I know it won't be easy, and due to my stubbornness, I'm not used to doing things the easy way. I'm ready. My excitement is growing. I've been stalking and lurking this forum and youtube for the past two weeks, learning all I can.

Here're a few things that really were the tipping point for this decision:

-Getting rid of my PCOS. I want to bear children sometime soon! I know PCOS will complicate that.

- Airplane seat belts. I fly every 3 weeks or so, and having a seat belt not fit was mortifying. About 50% of seat belts fit me, depending on the plane. If they don't, I tuck the buckle under my belly. Also, seats in general.. not comfortable.

-Ahem.. intimate positions. I really enjoy sex, and have been increasingly sad that I'm not able to do the things I once could.

-Social embarrassment/afraid to meet people

-Meeting my boyfriend's parents is sometime in the near future (They're Asian. Even though my boyfriend is also overweight, he's dating a white girl.. and a fat one at that. Two strikes against me in Asian culture)

-Wedding pictures.. nuff said.

-I've always dreamed of a trip around the world, and I finally have the funds for it. How much fun would it be if I tire easily, though?

-How far away is diabetes with my sugar addiction and weight, really?

-I completed a GoRuck (physical endurance) Light challenge this summer and loved it. I want to do more.

Things I just can't wait for:

- Stamina! Being able to explore all day and not have to stop to rest my aching feet and knees.

- Traveling comfortably. Airplane belts that fit. Not having to squeeze between people in a restaurant.

- Forgoing that first assessment when entering a room where I look around to see if I'm the fattest person there... you know what I mean.

- Summer dresses!!

-Cute shoes and cute clothes. Not having to shop in Lane Bryant for everything.

-If I need something, being able to simply go to the store and get it. Explaining to my boyfriend why I couldn't just go into the mall and get a winter coat was embarrassing. Not being able to buy emergency clothes in Central America.. ugh. Packing light and buying clothes wherever I travel to would be a real possibility.

-

-Theme park rides. I love roller coasters, and the last time I went, it was touch and go whether or not I fit in the seat.

-Boots that fit my calves!

-Skydiving

-Being able to do more than a couple sets of stairs without my knees starting to hurt

-Enough room to snuggle comfortably on the couch with my boyfriend

-GoRuck Tough!!

Anyway.. that's me! My name is Rio and I'm starting this journey now. I'm telling very few people in my life..my direct coworkers, my wonderful, supportive boyfriend, and a couple of close friends. I'm not close with most of my family, and I know there will be a lot of judgment there, so I've chosen to not tell them. I'm trying not to go overboard and over-prepare.. already looking at bariatric plates, collagen cream for loose skin.. lol. When I'm excited, I prepare (I've mostly contained myself, but I did try a Protein drink powder and I bought a cute bento bowl for my lunches). I'm about two months away from surgery with no firm date set yet. I'll be getting sleeved at the mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida. I am just one EGD and two classes away from my workup being completed.

post-269368-0-03448700-1454076001_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ruth1ess

God bless you with your honesty. You are so on point with many things you said describe myself. I am almost there with the end of my 6 mo strech. I meet the Surgeon on Monday. I related to so many things you mentioned. I can only say that when you go to a seminar after attending for Bariatric you realize you either in it, or against it. I'm wanting to be on the loser bench with all these wonderful people I have learned from. I hope to meet you there one day. For now, you continue being strong and focused on the end result.

Everything you said was so on point with me. My biggest dream is to travel and doing this surgery will help me see the world. I'm not telling many people either. My family and a few close friends. It is my journey and I don't need to worry about judgments.

I have been looking at all the before and after pictures and I can't wait to wear cute clothes!!!!!!!

Welcome aboard! The stubborn thing can work for you, or against you. You can stubbornly commit to your goals, just avoid stubbornly avoiding following directions ;-)

Welcome! Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Please keep us posted with how you're progressing. Sounds like you have some amazing things to look forward to! :)

Hey there! I'm having mine done at mayo too. I have my last 2 classes on feb 9th and then follow up with Dr Lynch on the 10th. Then I'll just be waiting on insurance approval. I'm hoping to have surgery the last week of April or 1st week of May (bc of school schedule). Good luck to you and maybe we will meet and support each other!

@@Sammysmiles Cool!! I wondered if there were any other mayo patients on here :)

My first class is on Feb 16th, then March 9th is my last one. I'm also hoping for an April surgery. I don't have a follow up with Dr. Lynch beforehand, though. He said he wouldn't see me until after the surgery.

I'm sure we'll see each other at one point or another :) Do you know if there are any support groups local to Jax?

Big step for me... I needed someone to act as caregiver and take me to my bariatric classes, so I told my grandma about my plans on Tuesday night.

My fear was that she would be judgmental, tell me I didn't need it, tell me I just need to eat less, etc, as she's done in the past. She's always the first one to comment on my weight.

Reality was, she started crying and hugged me. She thinks WLS is a great idea, supports me 100%, and literally cleared her schedule for me. She says she's been praying for something like this as she's been worried about my health. I was able to reassure her that I was not pre-diabetic as I had also feared, my bloodwork all came back really good, and my blood pressure is still 112/72.

I cried a lot that night -- her acceptance meant a lot to me, and now I have someone to hold my hand through the process... and not just anyone! I respect her more than anyone else in this world.

Great story...We have the same goal weight and we'll be going in around the same time. Can't wait to get in those dresses. Probably pathetic but I've been trolling those youtube lookbooks to find my style (hehe). Dreams!!!!!

We have very similar stories. My heaviest weight was 295. When I saw that number on the scale its like my heart dropped. I was able to lose about around 60 pounds on my own but gained it all back. I was 287 the day of surgery on Oct 22. 2015. I have no regrets and although I feel like I've been a slow loser I am happy with my progress. Good luck on your journey. Keep us posted.

Hi Rio! Thanks for sharing your story. We have a lot in common with our weight histories, things we are excited to do once we are healthy and I'm also an INFJ! (Only 2% of the population has this personality).

I just had my endoscopy this morning. It was my last test. I've been sleepy all day from the Anesthesia, but otherwise I'm fine. Hopefully I'll be getting the surgery in March. Anyway. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post! Hope you're doing well and I'm glad you've found such great supporters!!!

Hi Rio! Thanks for sharing your story. We have a lot in common with our weight histories, things we are excited to do once we are healthy and I'm also an INFJ! (Only 2% of the population has this personality).

I just had my endoscopy this morning. It was my last test. I've been sleepy all day from the Anesthesia, but otherwise I'm fine. Hopefully I'll be getting the surgery in March. Anyway. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post! Hope you're doing well and I'm glad you've found such great supporters!!!'

No way, I just had my endoscopy yesterday! They did it non-sedated, which was not very fun at all. But, at least I didn't have to go under.

Next, all I have is two classes, one month apart from each other. First one is next week, last one is March 9. Good luck and stay in touch! It's hard finding other INFJ out there :)

Measurements:

Bust: 48

Natural waist: 44

Belly button/waist: 50.5

Arm: 17.5

Mid thigh: 29

Calves: 19.5

Hips/widest: 53.5

Foot length (standing) 9.0

Ankle 9.25

Foot width: 3.5

I just had my endoscopy this morning. It was my last test. I've been sleepy all day from the Anesthesia, but otherwise I'm fine. Hopefully I'll be getting the surgery in March. Anyway. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post! Hope you're doing well and I'm glad you've found such great supporters!!!'

No way, I just had my endoscopy yesterday! They did it non-sedated, which was not very fun at all. But, at least I didn't have to go under.

Next, all I have is two classes, one month apart from each other. First one is next week, last one is March 9. Good luck and stay in touch! It's hard finding other INFJ out there :)

Did your throat hurt after your endoscopy? Mine is a little sore by the bottom of my neck. Hopefully it will be gone by tomorrow.

Sorry you had to be awake. That sounds terrible. Did you feel it? They gave me an IV and put me to sleep. Next thing I knew, I was waking up in the recovery room.

Yeah, I felt it. I have a pretty sensitive gag reflex and I choked pretty much continuously for about three minutes. Had to concentrate to draw breaths.

Today I'm about the same, just a little bit of a sore/hoarse throat, but I'm feeling mostly normal now.