Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Talk you out of surgery?

I just told one of my friends and he was like why do you want to be skinny? I told him I have too many health problems for being 31 and I need to get them under control so I can live longer. He was like well how skinny are you going to be. I hope you arent like a stick. I know he likes big girls so he doesnt want me to be smaller. I am not changing my mind for anyone especially a man. Did any of you deal with this? How did you handle it?

One of my friends ask me who am I'm trying to impress.i told him no one im trying to be healthier for me my wife kids and my future grandbaby

@@readyforachange84 - hate to ask, but here goes...is he overweight or a friend (who wants to be more)? Some people are jealous that you may be skinner (same gender friends) and other may think you won't want to be friends/BF/GF if they are heavier than the "norm".

No we been drinking buddies for 20 years and good friends he was wondering why i decided to do this i also told him that i was doing for medical reason my arthritis

A lot of folks tried to talk me out of it- They were worried about death during surgery. Now that it is over and I am feeling wonderful they seem to be OK. They truly were just worried for me.

I only had one person who thought my surgery was a bad idea. He himself is very overweight and I think it's interesting that he was the only one who gave me a hard time. I think by telling me not to have surgery, he was defending his own decision not to have surgery? Though he didn't say so, I think he was making it more about him than about me. It immediately put him on the defensive.

Almost everyone I shared my WL surgery decision have been very supportive, except for the 1 person I thought would be happy that I was working towards getting myself healthy, my father. He says he's supportive, but asks me if I'm sure I want to do this or he just doesn't talk about it at all. I'm a grown adult with a husband, son, daughter-in-law and 2 beautiful grandsons. I think I can make my own decisions now!!!

I ran into several people who gave me grief about the very concept of me losing weight...I felt as though my decision somehow confronted them or threatened them somehow. It's weird. I guess for some people weight has a huge impact on social standing...if I lose weight then you are forced to think about me differently and therefore yourself differently.

Not fun. But I felt like inevitable. Don't let it derail you if you feel this track is your best decision now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk