Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everyone asks the same questions. If you're an expert on the topic, most questions will seem rote and pointless. Ultimately, it's still going to help to see things re-surfaced from time to time. I, myself, wouldn't even have thought of looking for threads about hair loss because I haven't talked much about it with my surgeon. It's good to know that nothing really fixes it and it does come back.

I think nearly everyone who is a "regular" on the forum post-op goes through a period where they get sick of seeing the same posts over and over again. Either you get over it, become more patient, and try to help the newbies or you get fed up and spend less time on the forums. I know I had my own stretch of angst over so many repetitive topics. But I just try to remember we all started somewhere and I had my share of stupid and repetitive posts back in my early days. So I try to suck up the frustration and be as helpful as possible. If it weren't for people being patient with me in the beginning, I never would have gotten to where I am now.

It does not matter if it's been posted before or not. A refresher is never bad. Don't ever feel bad about posting a topic that has been discussed before.

I find this post enlightening

People can post whatever they want as much as they want. Be caring. This is the first time for everyone that's new!! I'm tired of some of the people on here with such bad attitudes. Your hair fell out and apparently so did you heart.

Anyway.

hair falls out. It's sad but true. No everyone, but most. For me it was about month 6-10. Oh it was bad! Luckily I had very thick hair. Now it is thin but it's stopped falling out at last.

I believe that Biotin can't hurt. But really.... There isn't much you can do. Just breathe. It will pass :)

Please feel free to ask questions. The new members will learn to navigate with time.

Wow... if its a repeat post that have you annoyed. Or people that are trolls. You always have the option to ignore them. Can we get the adult panties on now?

I had substantial hairloss from months 3-6. Around month 7 it just stopped. I didn't change anything, so I think it just ran its course. Just make sure you get your Protein, Water, and Vitamins, and it will eventually lessen.

I had a check-up with my surgeon this week and mentioned the hair loss. They said that people take Biotin, etc. and I can try that, but most often, the Hair loss lessens when the weight loss slows down. At this rate, I will be extremely scalpy by the time I am 1 yr post-op. On the upside, I got into a pair of jeans I haven't worn in 15 yrs, and I look hot in them (according to my daughters).

@@gigglesforyou369,

Unfortunately, it happens! There’s not always much you can do to stop it. There are supplements like Biotin. Also, getting in your Protein and fluids helps. Other than that and reducing stress, you can’t do a whole lot besides wait it out and enjoy the weight loss at least.

I'm kinda freaking out now about my Hair loss. I'm at 3 months and it just started, so was pleased to see the issue brought back up on the forum. My shower is full of hair everytime I wash my hair. My bathroom is full of my hair. My hair is one of my best attributes so yes, I'm worried. I do hope it stops shedding soon.

I am a 3 weeks out and I am taking Biotin twice a day 10,000 mcg . I started that a month before surgery. I am so scared to lose my hair. :(

I find it comforting to know that others are having the same issues or challenges. It does not matter how many times the question comes up. But anyhoo, I had the same experience. I took Biotin and a Multivitamin prior to surgery, but I don't really think it prevented anything. I still take both. I was sleeved on 6/1 and the Hair loss started about 4 months in. It is totally normal after a major surgery and anesthesia. I kept my hair a little shorter and did not go too dark on my hair color to help me mentally a bit. My hair started coming back at about 6 months so that was a relief. :) Yours will too. Hang in there. :)

I lost my hair from five months out, for so long. A good wig saved me. I took Biotin over a year, no results, just kept losing hair. Finally started taking Hair Vitamins about a year and half after the sleeve, and now it is 2 1/2 years and I am finally hair happy again. I cut my hair short, did everything possible to make it healthy, and there are just some of us who will have more Hair loss. We will all survive it! Good luck everyone.

I am 19 months out and I lost a lot of hair from around month 3 to around month 9. It slowed down somewhat, but I am still loosing it. On a plus side, the new hair that is coming in is very curly. I have always had just lightly wavy hair, and now it looks like I just had a hair perm.

Folic acid supplement will help tremendously. I didn't lose a ton of hair, but what I did lose was just in one three inch patch on the side of my head. I bought a B6/B12/Folic Acid supplement from Trader Joe's (they're little dissolvable dots) and took two every morning before Breakfast. Not only did it stop the Hair loss, it accelerated Hair growth. My hair has always been super slow growing, but after starting the supplement I average about an inch to an inch and a half of growth per month.

8 months out and my bathroom sink is still full of hair! Truth be told, I kind of thought I was going to be lucky and not have any--but at 6 months out it hit! I had really thick hair to start, and now it's more like average thickness. I'm just taking my multivitamin, Biotin daily, getting my Protein and not stressing over it since everyone seems to experience some degree of Hair loss after WLS.