Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI'ers, how are you doing?

I am down 37 lbs since my surgery 2 months ago and am only 13 lbs to go to my goal weight. I am ecstatic! You know the feeling when you get something new that you love, like a new phone or a new car? I feel like that every.day. The weight has just melted off, and the changes it has made in me are not small! I do my hair and makeup now, I wear cute clothes and jewelry, and it's fun! Before I would just wear stretchy yoga pants (because my jeans no longer fit and I couldn't stand the thought of buying a large new pair), and a plain t-shirt. I was just so frumpy and didn't care about how I looked at all. I had given up on myself. Now, I work harder at my job, I enjoy exercising more, and the extra attention from my husband is wonderful. And there are so many other positive changes in my life since the surgery! I know some people out there think a person has to be morbidly obese with comorbidities to justify gastric sleeve surgery. Well, I don't regret it one bit and am so happy with the change it has made in me! How are the rest of you doing out there?

It's been 15 months and I still don't regret it. It took me about 4 months to get to goal. One of the best things I've ever done for myself. It's so nice being able to workout in the morning and not be starving all day long. I still have a hard time looking at 0P/25 jeans and believing they fit me.

~LA

I am 7 weeks out and down to 168 from 200. My NUT said I should be at goal soon. I have more energy but I still have challenges on what to eat. Overall it's been going good.

Low BMI Band to Sleeve Revision 10/16/15. HW 184 SW 154 down to 136.5. I am 5'1 and my goal is 128 - Hope to reach it soon. Revision to the sleeve is the best thing I could have done. I still eat a little but I can eat healthy stuff like Protein some veggies and hardly any carbs, the difference now is whatever I eat stays in. No more throwing up or getting stuck, it's a true blessing.

I had my surgery 10 months ago and here are some pros and cons:

Pros

1. I am healthier and more energetic: don't need my CPAP, can exercise longer and harder- with no aches, pains, and running out of breath.
  2. I've dropped almost 10 sizes and can fit into clothes that models wear.
  3. I get compliments on my weight loss constantly- and oddly enough; it seems that more people talk to me (even strangers). It's been a great ego boost.
  4. I don't over-eat and I'm no longer an emotional eater: I've found more productive ways to cope with stress.

Cons

1. I have had to buy a new wardrobe which has become expensive- although I now shop at thrift shops, Ebay, and consignment stores.
  2. It is VERY difficult to find clothing in size 0,00, and even 2P.
  3. I do still occasionally get sick and vomit when I've had too much (which is usually very little to most people) or have eaten something high fat/ high sugar
  4. It's much harder to maintain my weight than I imagined. My weight fluctuates between 119 and 121 and I'm still trying to find that sweet spot.
  5. I have had some hair loss and thinning, and am virtually flat-chested. This is nothing that a good weave/hairpiece/wig and push up/padded bra can't fix.

Though I have more "cons": the #1 goal for having the surgery was to get healthier and I have achieved that. The "side effects" are a small price to pay considering I was on a dangerous path before the surgery.

I did my vgs August 2015; started wt 185. I achieved the set up goal wt of 147 at 5 month. Current wt 142. Working towards my ideal wt of 125lb .

I don't exercise. I have a 2 yrs old so I run behind him.

I eat wherever I want (2-3 bites ) It takes me one day to finish a chicken sandwich. Don't count calories.. Don't eat too much sweets only one a month. Drinking a ref coffee.

Never vomited or became sick.

Loosing my hair ( this is going on for almost 3mos) I have thick hair and short ( bob) so it is not noticeable .

My boobies and ass are gone so my belly. I m wearing size 6-8 i used to be size 16.. Plus size.. Super happy with my results.

I was 275 on 8/1/15, surgery on 10/6/15 (251) and now 197 - 7 pounds from goal.

The weight did just fly off (although I was very obedient patient).

Now I'm struggling thinking about how I'll transition into maintenance.

I think I've learned what I can eat, and how much is too much, but I'm kind of addicted to logging my food, which is a little scary.

I'm thinking I'll start by stopping logging on weekends, but still weigh in - just so I'm not fooling myself.

Any other ideas?

It was great to read all your stories ...I start my journey on Monday Feb 1 ...I lost 6lbs already from the pre-op diet and starting to get pretty excited for this procedure on Monday ...I was a low BMI also I am 5 ft 7 212 pounds as of today . I walk everyday and hoping I can get back to walking right after the surgery. I have told none of my friends about the surgery since I was afraid they would try to talk me out of it ... I was always a thin person in my 20's only to ballon up after a bout with breast cancer ... I did the full round of chemo and radiation and felt it was justified to eat what ever the hell I wanted and boy did it show ....my oncologist said weight loss was my first defense against re-occurrence so with the support of my family I am making this big step. Grateful to have this forum to share with peace to all ????

It's so wonderful to read about everyone's progress! I now have 12 lbs to my goal of 140 lbs, but if I lost a few more that would be fine. I don't want to get much smaller than 135 lbs as I am 5'9". Being only 9 weeks post op, I am starting to wonder when my weight loss will majorly slow down. I haven't had a stall yet. I had a week where I only lost 1 lb, but I was still losing. For those low BMI people who have hit their goal, how long did it take and did you do anything to stop the loss and maintain when you hit your goal?

It's so wonderful to read about everyone's progress! I now have 12 lbs to my goal of 140 lbs, but if I lost a few more that would be fine. I don't want to get much smaller than 135 lbs as I am 5'9". Being only 9 weeks post op, I am starting to wonder when my weight loss will majorly slow down. I haven't had a stall yet. I had a week where I only lost 1 lb, but I was still losing. For those low BMI people who have hit their goal, how long did it take and did you do anything to stop the loss and maintain when you hit your goal?

I lost 50 lbs. in 6 mos. I still haven't figured out how to maintain & stop the loss (I've lost 25 lbs. more than I wanted to) but I'm a work in progress. Docs and nutritionist tell me to eat more smaller meals during the day, add more carbs and Protein. My BMI isn't too low (yet), but I am close to being underweight so am trying hard to find that happy medium. Good luck!

Hi all just came back from my surgeons office for my one week post op appointment ...down 10lbs and feel great my current weight is 201. They are now allowing me to eat purée food ???? Never so excited to eat cottage cheese before. I am blessed I have not yet thrown up however I have been following the diet plan exactly . I am not hungry but must admit when I see food I used to love to eat ( especially yesterday with the Super Bowl ) it's hard to resist . I have not set a goal weight how did you all decide what your goal weight should be ? I guess in my mind I am hoping to be the same weight I was in my 40's ...I am 51 now ...is that possible I used to weight 138 ...didn't think that would be possible at my age ? Any opinions

I have the same question. I was never thin, but back in my 20's I was a competitive athlete (skier) and women seemed quite attracted to me. I weighed more then than I do now!

Yet, I still feel that I can lose more weight and I can't really get my head around maintenance. I fear that I must keep losing or start gaining...

Hi everyone,

I'm finally back for an update! I had been in the typical stall for quite some time, so was hesitant to post too much and come across pessimistic.

Here's a recap. Had my surgery January 9th in Mexico. BMI was 29, weighed in at 153.4 (only 5'1) on January 1st when I started my pre-op. I had an easy pre-op, basically just did Protein shakes for Breakfast and lunch and then veggies and chicken for dinner. Three days before surgery was yogurt only diet, but I did add a Protein shake once a day just to keep my Protein up and my carbs down. Day of surgery I weighed 148.4 lbs, which put my BMI at 28.

I went down to Mexico on the day of surgery and spent a few days in San Diego afterwards. First time I weighed myself on my home scale I was 139.2 and that was on January 17th.

Jan 18 - 137.2

Jan 19 - 137.0

Then my weight started to bounce around and stall out so I stopped weighing daily.

Feb 1 - 137.6.

I started working out Feb 1, scale was still moving super slow, so again just weighed every once in a while

Feb 5 - 136.0

Feb 23 - 135.2

Then I went on vacation to California. Just got back last night and I weighed in this morning at .... 129.0!!!!!! That puts me at a BMI of 24.4, the high end of NORMAL WEIGHT.

Why did I finally drop? I don't exactly know, but here's two things that probably helped.

1. I ate out a lot, and although I didn't eat lots at a time, my calories were definitely higher, so I think that actually helped boost my metabolism.

2. I got super sick the second last night, stuck in the bathroom (sorry if this is TMI - but basically all night pooping and puking --- although it was mostly dry heaving since there was no food in me). So I probably am down quite a bit of Water weight, and fully expect I may gain a couple pounds once I get hydrated again and eating somewhat normal.

Anyways, I just wanted to post an update since it's been a while, and I feel like I may have finally broken this stall. I am less than 6 lbs above my lowest weight as an adult. Still 14 lbs above my goal weight, but that being said, I am looking forward to increasing my exercise and putting on muscle, so realize it may be difficult for the scale to drop steadily if I'm toning up.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

--I am going to copy and paste this post to a few of the other "low BMI" threads, so sorry for the repeat to those of you that follow those threads as well--

I am post op 5 weeks and I have lost 13k hmm I think that's 26lbs I have another 20k to go. I don't miss food only when I go out for dinner with my hubby.. I am still on soft food so I have Soup or pate. Today my hubby had pork belly. I had a taste about 1 teaspoon I managed it ok. It tasted so good at first but it's strange I didn't want anymore from his plate.

I still tend to eat too fast.. So then I sit and watch him eat.. I am trying to slow down but figure this will come with practice. I do have pity parties in my head particularly not drinking coffee when can I have a coffee like an espresso? Does anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App