Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does it feel like to dump.What exactly is dumping?

I only had it happen once, in the very beginning from drinking a shake to fast. Was on the commode for quite a while. Never did that again!

I think there are varying stages of dumping.

For me, all I get is my heart starts racing, I get light headed and a bit nauseous, almost like I might pass out but never do, a bit sweaty.

So that is probably the low end. Others can speak to other symptoms (I think they include cramping, diarrhea, that sort of thing).

Dumping is when you get sick. You only get it when you eat too fast or do you eat stuff that your body can't handle like Grease and sugars in fact stuff like that. Signs of dumping depend on the person some there hart rates will go up or you get really weak or you get the shakes are you'll get really tired etc.

Edited by JackB

I have only had 2 true dumping episodes. The first one was after a can of potted meat very early on, I think about 6 weeks after surgery. I got dizzy, nauseous, and sweaty. My heart was racing and my ears were ringing. It felt like the worst flu EVER! I actually had to take a zofran because I felt so bad. It lasted about an hour or so and made me so tired I just went to bed, but I felt 100% better the next day. I looked at the can and found that this particular potted meat (Spam spread) had a TON of fat in it. I had been eating a deviled ham that was great, but I never did try that Spam one again, lol. My second episode was a sugar overdose at Christmas. I just don't do sugar anymore, so my body totally rejected it. I had to stay near the bathroom for a good 24 hours and I think I doubled my Fluid intake during that time because I was losing fluids so rapidly. I felt icky but not quite as bad as the first time. I'm actually glad I dump from too much sugar. I wasn't sure if I did or not because I have had nuts with a lightly sweet coating on them and those don't bother me, but they also contain nowhere near the amount of sugar I consumed during that episode at Christmas. Lesson learned the hard way! :D

I dump all the time even 3 years out. For me it is...

Rapid heartbeat

A panic, anxiety like the walls are closing in

I get really warm

And if I really have it bad, like hey let's eat some ice cream (don't)

I get so sleepy I literally pass out.

I've only had dumping when I eat too fast. I just get horribly nauseated, some sort of pain in my gut that I don't know how to describe, and I have to stay in bed until it passes or it starts all over again. I'm so afraid of sugar and fat that I get angry if someone (who knows I can't eat it) offers me something that has either sugar or fat in it. Especially if I have declined and explained how it will make me sick. Happened last week. And this person had a lap band she had to have removed so she should have known better or at least been understanding enough not to even offer it to me.

In a handout from my surgeon's office it says the parts of your stomach and intestines that digest fat and sugar are the parts that have been bypassed. So when fats and sugars hit your shorter bypassed small intestine, Fluid from all over your body is rushed to that area in order to dilute and get rid of the offensive stuff. So your other organs get stressed from shortage of fluid, some people get headaches, nausea, pain, weakness, diarrhea, etc. it not only feels awful but it is hard on your body. Thats from memory. I'll look it up tomorrow if you need a more complete description. Our bodies eventually recover the function of that part of the small intestine but maybe not entirely. Some people never dump, some are more sensitive. I'm just scared! Lol.

dumping feels like you been kicked in the stomach. it is the worst feeling ever. You feel so bad , it feels like you are going to die. I watch the sugars and pace I eat. slowwwww. sip sip sip chew chew chew

I've only dumped once and for me it started with rapid heartbeat, trembling, nausea, severe stomach cramps, diarrhea and then I was so weak I could barely stand up and had to sleep for about 3 hrs to make it better