Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fitting in a plane seat

I've been putting this question off for the longest, but here goes...

Last year I took a flight out of state... I was having a hard time fastening my seat belt... It took me a long time and I was trying hard to make sure no one noticed... My question is what did you do for your travel to and from TJ Mexico? That was the first time that has happened to me and now I'm afraid of that happening again

Did you have a seat belt extender? If the seat belt won't fit, you will have to ask a flight attendant for an extender.

Did you have a seat belt extender? If the seat belt won't fit, you will have to ask a flight attendant for an extender.

No lol I didn't know such a thing exist. I thought I would have to buy another seat. Southwest have them?

No lol I didn't know such a thing exist. I thought I would have to buy another seat. Southwest have them?

I am pretty sure every airline has them.

Edit: They have some policies on their web site that mention seat belt extenders, which leads me to believe they must have them. I saw that their policies also mention that you only need to buy a second seat if you can't fit in your seat with the arm rest down.

Im working for a big international Airline and i can guarantee that every Aircraft has Seat belt extensions on Board as its an FAA requirement.

Yes, no need to pay for a seat belt extender.

If you fly first class you will be more comfortable. You are only requested to purchase an extra seat if you need more than one seat belt extender or if your body spills over into the space of the person next to you. If you don't want to purchase a second flight in those instances they may ask that you take a later flight that has more room.

We flew Southwest when we went to Mexico and needed seat belt extenders, but you have to ask for them. Also, with Southwest you can get an extra seat for free (if you feel you need it) when you check in at the airport, BUT we found it better to purchase an extra seat in advance (just to make sure the plane wasn't booked), and then when you get back home they will refund you for that extra seat. It is part of their "Customer of Size" policy...which is great!

Not sure if other airlines do that or not. We always fly Southwest because we have a friend that is a flight attendant.

Here is a link to that info: https://www.southwest.com/html/generated/help/faqs/extra_seat_policy_faq.html

I don't know if they changed their policy at Southwest or not, but we had a horribly humiliating flight with them a few years ago. They essentially called my husband out and forced him to buy an extra seat, even though we were flying as a family of 3, in a row of 3 and we had paid extra for early boarding to ensure we sat together. Hubby is a big guy, but doesn't ever need to put the armrest up and didn't need an extender. After the initial embarrassment, on one of our legs, a flight attendant had the gall to find him in his seat (in our little family row) and ask him if he wanted to go sit elsewhere since he paid for an extra seat. Loudly enough for everyone to hear. It was so disgusting I vowed to never fly southwest again.

If they had said any of this to me, I would have died right there.

I have a good friend that is a Southwest pilot and another that is a flight attendant. With that said, I can confirm that their policies have changed. They are more accommodating and better prepared to handle different situations. We just flew in December and had a great flight with no issues.