Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will anything ever taste good again?

I'm 2 weeks post sleeve and am mostly having Premier Protein shakes and a creamed of chicken Protein Soup when I'm feeling like something "savory." Every yogurt tastes very artificial and the puréed soup that I've made with Protein Powder (I like Unjury chicken soup protein powder) & liquified just tastes kind of terrible. Now I prayed that sugar would taste terrible to me post-op b/c I love sweets, but savory vegetable purées taste quite bad too. Has anyone else had this problem?? Does it ever go away??

Your taste will continue to change over the coming weeks and months, but yes, food will taste good again! Five weeks out from surgery, I find that simple food tastes best, and I appreciate the taste of food much more than I did before surgery because I eat very slowly.

4 months out and nothing tastes good. It has just gotten worse for me, not better

@@theladyslipper My taste has definitely changed.. But I think for the better. My favorite creamed Soup is tomato... What?? I hate tomatoes. My desire for flavor has ignited my desire to cook again. I can't wait for the next stage (Pureed) so I can experiment with it. My family says "wow mom, you cook more now that you can't eat, than you did before". Lol sad but true.

I'm hoping they start eating healthy with me without all the crazy looks as to "What is that?"

Use this to find your new flavor.. It can be fun! I'm having a blast and I'm not even eating what I'm cooking yet.

Edited by cindyw41

At your stage, I found that if I was tasting something that I had a preconceived idea of flavor, it was off or tasted wrong. Try getting something you have never tried before. I bought "weird" Soups and now I can't get enough of them. For example, my favorites are by Pacific; Cashew Carrot Ginger Soup and Red Curry Lentil soup. Never tried either one so I had no idea what they would taste like. Tons of flavor and I couldn't say that they tasted wrong since they were new to me.

Oh, and the lentil soup has protein! Add unflavored Protein powder to it and the curry hides it well.

Will anything ever taste good again?

@@theladyslipper

my taste buds NEVER changed

some people say they can't eat sweets anymore

OMG i wish that would happen to me

i can see it in your eyes!!

you are going to have sweet success :rolleyes:

keep up the good work

good luck newbie

kathy

I am in the same boat. I am 6 weeks post op, and it can be hit or miss. I had to get off the Protein premier shake routine because it was making me gag. Real food does taste best (sometimes) but a lot of things don't taste so good. I am frustrated by this and it often makes me not want to eat. I am forcing myself to eat but I will be honest- it's still a struggle. I have ordered the unjury Protein shakes but has anyone added fruit to it? I figure this will allow me to get the necessary Vitamins and calories has anyone done this before? I am open to anything.

My taste buds never changed.

When you can eat real food it will taste so delicious.

The unjury Protein is probably the least flavorful Protein powder I have had. The chicken Soup tastes good, but anything with 1/2 a days worth of salt is going to taste good.

Adding fruit means adding sugar. I mean one frozen strawberry to shakes isn't a big deal but if you add a lot of fruit you are just adding sugar.

Syntrax Nectars taste very good and they have a variety of flavors. My favorite post op because I couldn't have coffee was Cappuccino. The lemon aid is okay, the strawberry is delicious and so is caribbean cooler.< /p>

strawberry Kiwi is good mixed with Water. It is lighter and doesnt even seem like a Protein drink.

I do find some foods (prepared ) are far too sweat or salty for my taking now but usually only applies to store bought or at reastaurants. I've come to love to cook healthier tasty meals for our family at home

Somewhere around the 8-9 week mark I started to enjoy grilled food again.

Now, at 14 weeks everything tastes great....it's just that only have a desire for meats, cheeses, fibrous vegtables and some occasional nuts.

I have zero desire for candy, sweets and carby stuff.

I have just discovered, through posts on this site, nutritional yeast. It is a miracle flavouring ingredient for jaded post op palates-well in my case anyway. Even my husband wolfed down the roasted cauliflower that I made last night and went back for seconds and he is not a veg fan at all. Type 'nutritional yeast' into the search box on this site and have a look at some of the posts. Google it too and there are loads of great recipes. It is fat free and just so yummy.