Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to Firefighter Physical in 2 months. Help!

I'm an EMT (not a firefighter) and am trying to join my local Fire Dept. as an EMT. One of the qualifications is that I obtain a physical exam, it's the same physical firefighters go through, with gear on and all.

Part of the reason I had VSG surgery was to get in better shape so I can be a better EMT. But right now, I'm completely out of shape! I did join a gym a few weeks back and I've just been walking on the treadmill, as it's the only thing I can handle at this point.

Help! How do I get in shape in 2 months or attempt to do so? I don't even know where to start.

A lot depends on what they expect in the physical. is this a physical to gauge your overall health, or is it a fitness test"?

To go from completely sedentary to being able to pass this kind of physical in two months sounds really unrealistic to me. I could be wrong, but this sounds like something you at need to talk to a physical trainer about. A trainer can help you put together a plan but I just don't know if it would even be safe to do in two months.

Best of luck. Whether you are ready in two months or not I wish you all the best. Don't stop following your dreams.

Realistically, you still have a whole person to lose to get to your goal. Is it possible to take this exam next year so that you can be healthy and fit enough to not have a heart attack? And if you lose another 174 pounds you will probably have excess skin to deal with and may be in the middle of getting plastic surgery.

I am in favor of following your dream, but this may be the two year plan instead of the two month plan. Delay is not denial. I wish you good luck and good health. Hugs from Chicago.

It's both, @2goldengirl. And, according to all my pre-op testing my body is in great health, except for the fitness part.

I found out the requirements for the physical and then spoke to a trainer at the gym about what I should do to get ready. Even though my doctor said no weight training (he doesn't want me gaining muscle, it's heavy), we decided I need to do a little bit to be able to pass this test.

I'm going to try and find someone else to consult with, someone who knows more about my type of body/someone who has had experience with WLS patients. I'm also going to try and contact someone who has been through the physical to see what it's really like.

I think the first thing you need to find out is: is there a BMI cutoff to pass the physical. There very well may be, and a BMI >50 may put you out of the running at this time.

I did some checking online and evidently the fitness test for firefighters is standardized. This link may be helpful: http://home2.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/units/recruitment/cand_prep/5_fitness_standards.shtml

I do notice they mention "very low body fat". Honestly, I'd focus on getting healthy this year, and take the test next year.

Thanks, but I don't live or work in NYC. The test I have to do is nowhere near this. It involves a treadmill test, a drag test and a weight lift.

The woman I spoke to on the phone also mentioned that sometimes they take it a bit easier on the EMS folks since we are NOT firefighters, we do not do the intense amount of physical work they are required to do, and I'm a volunteer, not career.

Well it sounds pretty aggressive with a 50 BIN, but what really bothered me is your surgeon telling you not to strength train. It is one of the pillars to maintenance success. As you lose weight you will lose muscle, strength training slows that and helps you build lean mass. When I got to goal I was pleasantly surprised to find defined shape underneath.

When did you have surgery?

You shouldn't be lifting anything or engaging your abs until your incisions heal.

After that moderate weight lifting should be ok.

@InnerSurferGirl, I had surgery on December 3. I'm all healed up and good to go according to my surgeon.

I'm back on laundry duty at home too (oh, joy)!

The weight lifting the trainer is having me doing is starting at 10 lbs and moving up to 30 lbs eventually. Nothing too heavy.

@@NYLux12

You have done a great job on getting yourself healthy. I hope that things work out for you with this test. Please be careful that you don't push yourself too far too fast.

It really does take more time than a month or two to recover from this surgery. A little light weight training may not hurt but please be careful and kind to your body. You have to remember you have put yourself through a lot of stress in the last couple of months.

The other advice I would offer is that setting timeline goals after WLS can be a problem. Just be aware that weight loss really happens on its own schedule, stalls happen along the way. The same is true of how are bodies react to all the stress.

If for some reason you don't meet your goals to pass the test in time, please don't let it discourage you. You can always try again next year.

Lastly, your doctors advice about not weight training really is strange. Yes muscle weighs more than fat but you need that muscle to remain healthy. I might suggest pushing back on him and get clarification.

I wish you the very best!

I'm with @@CowgirlJane no weight training? Ridiculous! Especially for the reason that it's heavy! Our goals should be health and fitness not a number on the scale. We should target losing FAT not pounds.

Here's my thought--go for it! Why the heck not? What's the downside? You're six weeks out and cleared for exercise. I mean work towards that goal, but don't be heartbroken if you don't get there, just keep going for it for next time (do they only offer it once a year?). I don't see the harm in trying and then you will be even more prepared if you wind up having to take it next time to pass.

One thing that hasn't been discussed--what level of functional fitness do you have now? I mean being an EMT can be a physically demanding job and sometimes even when we are obese we have a certain baseline of cardiovascular and muscle strength. Perhaps your base level is higher than we realize and it will help you get to that goal

Thanks, all for the encouragement and insights. I've decided I really do need to find a fitness trainer that knows more about my situation, and talk to my surgeon.

I'm working on bettering my cardiovascular health. I get tired pretty quickly, especially when going up stairs, performing CPR, or carrying heavy bags/monitors.

I expect the muscle strength in my legs will be pretty decent from carrying around 400lbs all these years. I'm working on my arms, but they're alright. I can lift all but the heaviest patients.

my husband and I were both career/volunteers for over 25 years in Nassau and Suffolk county s NY. I have never heard of a volunteer having to do a physical agility test ever...your profile says your from Poughkeepsiyou , NY ,not sure how its don there but sound like B.S to me there is no pass fail to be a volunteer...that being said please do not do any heavy lifting this soon after your surgery as an EMT you should know this. let yourself heal first then you can stress yourself out over the wonders of becoming a volly....sarcasm ......it is a lot of stress and political B.S....when you are ready a personal trainer would be the way to go

I'm an HR manager for a Fire Department. We have a weight requirement that has to be met before you can even attempt the physical (And our physicals aren't strenuous really, strenuous activity doesn't start until you are in the academy). EMT's and FF's have the same weight requirements here. I'd be surprised if 1) they don't have a weight requirement and 2) they let you do a physical.