Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant 8 months post op

Hi all,

I had my wls in April 2014 after suffering from a miscarriage. I never weighed 260 lbs and when I reached it it drove me mad. I couldnt walk without suffering from a severe foot ache, I couldnt breathe, i was too heavy and tired all the time and The worst part was the fact that my weight affected my pregnancy and was a barrier to have another. My cousin recommended a great surgen and I went and met him. After 15 mins, the doc agreed with going for the surgery and told me it was the best choice for me bacause it will teach me how to eat healthy and how to stay healthy. My goal honestly was. Baby. Nothing else. I could not think about anything else regardless of all the warnings my ob-gyn and doc gave me about being preggers in less than a year of the surgery. My period got messed up after surgery and i waited for a couple of months til I started trying for a baby again. I went thru 3 courses of clomid and they all failed. I was an emotional wreck and decided that I needed to give myself a break. I had my first period post break on the 13th of Dec. 10 days ago, i felt it in my core.. Something kept telling me to take a pregnancy test even though My period was due the next day.. I took it mid-day and to my shock and surprise I was pregnant! I am 5 weeks 3 days preggers today and my hcg levels are great. I did loose abt 3 kgs in the past 10 days but its because of the morning sickness which is horrible.

The thing is, i am terrfied to my core. I keep getting these scary thoughts about losing my baby once more due to the malnutrition from the surgery or because my body isnt ready to house the baby. Mamas out there please share your story if you got pregnant around the same time I did, what meds did u take and how did your pregnancies go?

This question gets asked quite often so I'm just going to copy and paste from the last time I answer to save time LOL of course everyone is different I can't promise you a healthy pregnancy but I know four or five girls who got pregnant and were all completely fine and so are their babies

Well I'm not sure if I am the norm but I got pregnant five months after my Roux-en-Y procedure and had a very healthy 8 pounds 8 ounce girl and then I did it again the next year LOL 2, perfect, healthy daughters in 25 months. I did however have to get Iron transfusions. I gained about 6 pounds.

2vn2vrd.jpg

2zzm1jm.jpg

2cmk6r5.jpg

Edited by Kathy Coop

God bless them they are gorgeous ❤️ But how was your pregnancy? Did u suffer through it? And how did u manage to eat and keep the food down? Any meds u took through ur pregnancies?

I'm sorry I ask a lot I know but it good to learn as much abt it to know whats coming.

No problems. No morning sickness. Took my Prenatals in the Gummy form because I couldn't swallow this big pills. I focused on getting as much Protein down as I could have a little bit of dehydration because I couldn't drink large amounts and I live in a place that hits 113 degrees in the summer. Lots of swimming. Because of my surgery I did have a lot of extra appointments but everything was great.

For me yogurts and a cheese went down best I put Protein Powder in my coffee (I am a vegetarian) taco Bell pintos and cheese was a serious lifesaver!!! The doctor explained to me kind of weird he said babies are like a tumor or like cancer they'll take what they want from you. They can thrive in crack whores!!! I was like.... Ok lol

Hi,

Well I had the MGD mainly to get pregnant. My pre-op BMI was 33.. I asked my doctor when is it safe to try for pregnancy and he said after 3 months provided that I do my labs before I start trying. From what I hear, if you stick to your Vitamins you should be fine. Good like..

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm 23 weeks pregnant today and I have to say that by far this has been the hardest pregnancy I had so far! 5 preg, 2 kids n 2 miscarriages.. I am so glad for every pain, kick and nauseous moment I had cause i knew that it meant that baby is doing great. I had to get a cervical cerclage done cause my cervix was shortening and My dr added more Vitamins to my stack to insure that Baby gets everything she needs. I am high risk so I get ultrasounds every other week since pregnancy started. I lost 20 pounds since i got pregnant and i just gained 3 pounds this month. So far all is good and hopefully we will make it to 36 weeks!

I'm 23 weeks pregnant today and I have to say that by far this has been the hardest pregnancy I had so far! 5 preg, 2 kids n 2 miscarriages.. I am so glad for every pain, kick and nauseous moment I had cause i knew that it meant that baby is doing great. I had to get a cervical cerclage done cause my cervix was shortening and My dr added more Vitamins to my stack to insure that Baby gets everything she needs. I am high risk so I get ultrasounds every other week since pregnancy started. I lost 20 pounds since i got pregnant and i just gained 3 pounds this month. So far all is good and hopefully we will make it to 36 weeks!

Oh dear I'm so sorry to hear that? Do you think it has been the hardest because of the MGB?? I just can't see a link between cervical shortening and MGB but I might be wrong.. What was your BMI prior to surgery? Have your labs shown any deficiencies in any vitamins/ minerals? I'm guessing from your name you're from the GCC!! :)

I am from Dubai ^_^ the cerclage was due to a surgery i had back in 2011 to remove part of my cervix because I had abnormal cell growth. My BMI pre surgery was 40.7 and today its 23.5 I am so proud of the progress I made weight wise but yeah it did make my pregnancy harder because pre pregnancy I was already drained and had dizzy spells and with the pregnancy it magnified it all. Maybe its just me and it shldnt be a guide to all pregnancies post MGB. But the worst part was the hemorrhoids!! I never knew that you can get it from diarrhea and not just constipation!! I couldnt sit, walk or sleep for 2 months and it was so stressful! Thank God I found the best meds for it after a long battle called Anusol that turned me into a normal human being again. I hope with the 3rd trimester so close by that I do not gain more or get the hemorrhoids ever again!

Everyone is different of course and plenty of people have fine pregnancies post op. Having a baby was a big motivating factor for me to have surgery too (of course shortly after surgery my soon to be ex husband said he didn't want kids)

I do have to ask, and I'm not trying tobe rude, butif you're so worried about malabsorption causing issues why try to get pregnant so soon post op against doctor recomendation?

Everyone is different of course and plenty of people have fine pregnancies post op. Having a baby was a big motivating factor for me to have surgery too (of course shortly after surgery my soon to be ex husband said he didn't want kids)

I do have to ask, and I'm not trying tobe rude, butif you're so worried about malabsorption causing issues why try to get pregnant so soon post op against doctor recomendation?

As for the labs and blood work, i have them every 2 months now and i am slightly anemic but thats the only low so far.

Edited by MaDz Al Hammadi

Thats the thing, I was so obssessed with trying to have a baby because after 2 miscarriages I felt that I will not be able to have any more and that killed me that I did not think it through at all. But I am glad that it worked out well

Thats the thing, I was so obssessed with trying to have a baby because after 2 miscarriages I felt that I will not be able to have any more and that killed me that I did not think it through at all. But I am glad that it worked out well

I understand the desire to have a baby. When my husband told me he didn't want kids it killed me. We often talked about having a family when we were dating. If i knew he didn't want kids i honestly wouldn't have married him. But now i feel like he stole my "baby years" from me. Im already in my 30s and i worry that by the time i meet someone else and get remarried (IF i get remarried) that i will be too old to have a baby

I'm from Muscat :).. Well initially and because of my low BMI I really wanted the sleeve. I read so much about it and was just mentally and physically prepared for it until an hour before the surgery my surgeon came into my room and convinced me to have MBG mainly because it is reversible (well he did mention other reasons as well) I quickly agreed but right after the surgery I had the worst buyers remorse ever (not to mention the severe complications which had me in the ICU for 3 days and 7 units of blood + 6 units of frozen packed platelets) . I feel I just didn't give myself enough time to process the idea. He said MGB is not associated with more malabsorption than the sleeve which then I came to know that that wasn't true. I'm currently just trying to cope with what I'm in . I have PCOS. I have one child who needs bone marrow transplant from a matched sibling donor and I have been through 5 rounds of IVF with pre implantation genetic diagnoses and each and every time we manage to find a viable healthy embryo but no pregnancy is achieved. I don't have time and just thought of taking a drastic measure to control my PCOS and reverse it. I really hope this time things work..

Dont ever give up hope. I got married at 19 to an abussive man and divorced at 22 with two kids and a miscarriage. I did not want another marriage and the thought of another crazy man in my life drove me crazy that was until I met my current husband, 8 years later, obese and did not care at all. We got married 2 years ago (im 32 now) He loved me for who I was and not how I looked like and he always kept telling me how beautiful I am. after 9 rounds of fertility treatment I finally got pregnant and 3 months later ai lost the baby. It killed me and I went through a very bad breakdown phase. 2 months later I decided that Ive had enough and that I shld do something about my weight to be able to have a baby and the same month I had the surgery. Hubby was stunned at the change and8 months later he had the surgery as well. The same month he did is the month we found out that we were gng to be parents ❤ Dont give up hope ladies because miracles do come true and I never thought I would get mine but Im so thankful to god that I did

Edited by MaDz Al Hammadi

❤️❤️ I'm glad things turned out well for you. Noor im not giving up hope.. Hubby is supportive and we are high school sweethearts .. May I ask why you chose MGB? And who was your doctor? At first I went to Abdulsalam Altaie. He was a quack .. Tried to convince me to go for a 40% sleeve which is absolutely a blunder. No medical based evidence that is works, not to mention how pushy he was to convince me to get the surgery done to the extent where he wanted to perform it the very second day before any blood work was out yet!! Can't believe he is still practicing on so many patients