Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost a year out and only lost 64lbs

Having never been a year out I am obviously not in the know here...

That being said, what is the difference in caloric intake between 5 weeks and one year if you are still trying to lose weight?

At 5 weeks, you are still healing and, presumably, aren't doing any intense exercise. At 5 weeks I wasn't even on solid foods yet, so it would have been impossible for me to get 1000 calories even if I wanted to. I remember working very hard after I was on solid foods to try to get up over 800 calories so I could start exercising.

At a year out, you are fully healed, living a full life, and hopefully exercising several times a week. In order to sustain that level of activity, you need to get enough calories. If it was as simple as fewer calories equals faster weight loss, why not just eat 240 calories a day, since that's all you need to get 60 grams of Protein? There's a whole lot more that goes into it, especially long term. You need to care for and fuel your body, otherwise your metabolism will just shut down altogether.

The issue is the impact long-term, massive calorie deficits have on the endocrine system. Think permanent thyroid hormone dysregulation...resistance to satiety hormones...super-efficient energy storage. Our bodies aren't stupid. If you starve them long enough, they fight back. They'll take energy from all kinds of places we don't want them taking it to preserve essential functions - like breaking down muscle tissue to preserve energy stores. Can be a pretty big deal when the muscle tissues that are left include important ones like the heart.

This is good info!

Yeah this is very discouraging as I'm only four months out and have stalled over a month but I'm not exercising daily and spent the last week consuming to much wine but I was stalling prior.

hello I'm 4 months post op and been stalled over a month next week on the 29th will be 2 months stalled , how much have you lost so far, I'm so discouraged
47 pounds total might be a little more as I weigh in today. The more frequent I eat and move the more the weight comes off but traveling recently didn't help my stall because I ate whenever and drank wine a lot. Now I'm back to my normal routine.

feeling discouraged

@@branlee90

your initial post was dated 1/21/16

now, one month later 2/19/16

how are things going??

how is your mood

never give up!!!

stalls come and go

like gas!!! :huh: :D

"the one thing we have in common is that we're all different"

64 lbs gone - that's great!!!

good luck

kathy

My nut doesn't take calories into account. (I thought 'That is crazy!') Only Protein, carbs and fat. I read that you eat fruit everyday? How much fruit? In my our class we learned that's a big source of carbs that will kick you out of ketosis or fat burning. We were told to eat berries if we really wanted fruit. Other foods to steer away from were root veggies like potato and carrots, corn is a no no, as is onion. Its all about the makeup of the food. I'd love to share the whole list with you if interested.

I am interested in the list if possible. I no longer have access to my NUT due to insurance reasons. Thank you so much... If it would be easier you can email me at tlemieux220@gmail.com.

Please send me list as well...

cal2okl@gmail.com

I'm interested in the list as well. Trying to get back on track. Please send list to loriemt@aol.com. Thank you

So 40 mins of cardio a day? Is it the same routine? If so switch it up! Add some strength training and that'll really speed up metabolism and burn calories!

Are you eating the same diet, if so switch it up. You have to shock ur body. I'm a huge fan of carb cycling. Most days I eat just Protein and meat. When I add in a carb here and there I notice still I lose weight and even more.

You need to trick ur body otherwise it adapts and u get stuck. Find new workouts and new eating plans. Good luck!