Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dry hair/hair loss

I had SIPS surgery 6/8/15. I'm so happy I had this surgery and I'm feeling and looking fantastic, EXCEPT my hair!! First think I've noticed is my hair was becoming dry and frizzy and falling out, ALOT. I am so subconscious, that I wear my hair up so no one notices. I also am Hypothyroid, but my levels have recently been checked and are where they should be. I take my Vitamins every day, (3) Bariatric Advantage Ultra Multi Formula, (1) 500 mg Bariatric Calcium Citrate, (1) 1000 mg Evening primrose oil, Vitamin B Complex lots of it.

Has anyone gone through this? Will your hair regrow? HELP!

They hypothyroid always adds to it. If you have other symptoms (fatigue, dry skin, etc.) don't just let the doctors tell you "normal". I have one doctor that considers me "normal" at 4.9 TSH; however, my more in-tune endocrinologist knows that my TSH should be closer to 1-2 (that is for me particularly - not everyone).

Biotin helps with hair regrowth I am told though I have not really taken it consistently enough to know. There are supposedly some shampoos that help with regrowth after chemo, so surely those would help (though I haven't researched it much). Believe the 2 I have heard of are Ovation and Nioxin. Might be worth checking in to.

I took Biotin, sprayed rosemary Water (boiled rosemary, let it cool, put it in a spray bottle and added a few drops of lavender) in my hair and scalp a few times a week and massaged my scalp for about 10 - 15 minutes. I also didn't wash my hair a lot. Co-washed it and didn't put much stress on my hair by pulling it back tight.

I also ate more dense Protein versus cheese, Protein shakes or Beans. My hair stayed shiny, strong and didn't fall out.

best wishes

Everyone is different with the hair loss issue. I lost about 2/3 to 3/4 of my volume.

I got all my Protein, Water and Vitamins since the very beginning. I took Biotin from the beginning.

My hair started falling out around month 2 and did not stop until my weight loss slowed way down which was the end of month 12 post op.

During that time I had lots of regrowth happening so while I was losing it a lot faster than it was coming in. It simply shed, no bald spots.

It also has been coming back with a completely different texture. My hair is actually coming in with more curl. I had body before, now I actually have curl so I find myself straightening it.

I saw numerous doctors about this issue and everyone of them told me that it would stop when my weight loss slowed way down and they were right. At month 12. I even stopped taking Biotin because I am not sure it did anything for me. I also have hypothyroidism and my TSH has been great although we did have to lower my dose after I dropped the first 80lbs.

By the way when it comes back in you are excited to see it however it is so annoying! My hair sticks up everywhere. No matter what I do I cannot stop it from sticking up. I look a little like alphalfa! LOL!

Maybe have your zinc and Iron checked. Also extra Protein helps with Hair growth. When I would grow my hair out before surgery I would always up my protein intake to increase growth.

My hair dried out too and started thinning about a week ago (much more hair coming out in the shower and when brushing). I switched to a very hydrating conditioner because I couldn't get a brush through it. My NUT said some believe Biotin really helps, but she doesn't believe it does. Who knows. I think if you are getting in your Vitamins and Protein and fluids and are still losing hair, it should slow once the weight loss slows and you are no longer in a state of malnutrition. It's just your bodies way of utilizing it's means to keep vital organs healthy and hair is not a priority when it comes to living.

Thank you all for responding! Come to think of it, I'm not getting all of my Protein. Didn't think about the dense Protein going to try that. I am taking lots of Biotin, also bought a moisturizing conditioner. Perhaps just being patient while this weightloss levels out some is the key. Thank you for your input.

I thought i was losing hair at 2 months! It is coming out when I shower. It really concerned me because I have read that it comes out at four months. I guess I am going to take the next step and buy Nixon or something to make it grow back.