Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone else have a problem finding food they like? I use to love food now it seems like I dislike the taste of everything that is good for me. I have started getting nausea from just about anything that I eat. What do some of you eat? I am tired of eggs, do not like meat, salads are ok but no nutrition so it is a waste to eat but at least it something in my stomach, tired of Protein Drinks, Water makes me gag! I have lost 46lbs since November but the last 2 to 3 weeks it has only been 1 lb. That is still a lot of weight but I mostly lost it in the 1st

month. Please give me some suggestions on food. I am not a very creative person and I refuse to fail on my new weight loss journey. Most of the time my Vitamins make me nausea too! I have tried adding Protein to coffee but it clumps up so I don't know what I am doing wrong. HELP :(

Do you like seafood? I eat mostly Swai, Crab and lobster.

Swai is my favorite because it is cheap, high moisture, very soft and barely any fish taste.

Do you Pinterest? There are tons of WLS recipes on there & a lot of them look terrific.

I'm the same way. Nothing tastes good. I could go all day and not eat. I force myself to get Protein in. It has been this way since my surgery in September.

Until I got off some of my meds and pain pills, everything tasted odd to me. It helped to brush my teeth more often.

You said: "I use to love food now it seems like I dislike the taste of everything that is good for me. I have started getting nausea from just about anything that I eat. What do some of you eat? I am tired of eggs, do not like meat, salads are ok but no nutrition"

It sounds like maybe you were one of those people who was raised on Kraft Mac & cheese, hot dogs, Twinkies, and Pepsi like I was. Until I met my boyfriend 9 1/2 years ago (at the age of 54), my menu was very limited. He has introduced me to so many new foods, some that I had never heard of. I just had to be open to new flavors that I was not familiar with.

One thing I noticed post-op is that because I am not loading up on salt, sugar, and grease, I am being exposed to the natural flavors of real food. It has taken some adjusting. But now if I taste something, sweet, salty or fried, I just about choke and can't believe I used to like it.

Salads can have lots of nutrition. I have started buying a bag of mixed lettuces and add a bag of fresh spinach (which I thought would be awful, but is actually quite neutral). I chop them up smaller and combine them. For supper tonight, I had a taco salad. It used to be that I would have eaten 3 or 4 tacos from Taco Bell. Sometimes I have a bean salad, or garbanzos with cucumber, onions and Tomato with a little low fat Ranch dressing. If I am cautious with the Ranch, then I can benefit from quite a bit of Protein and nutrients.

My boyfriend loves to cook, so he keeps made up for me a batch of taco fixins made with ground turkey, onion, garlic, peppers, diced eggplant, diced jicama, tomatoes and spices. It is packed with nutrition, Fiber and and Protein, especially when he adds Beans. I usually sprinkle a 1/2 ounce of shredded cheddar on it. Today I included a dollop of real dairy sour cream. The calories don't do much damage because I eat so little.

Being creative isn't all that painful when you have a world of resources at your fingertips. Is it just that you are not comfortable with cooking or just don't want to invest in yourself and take the effort? This is what we mean when we say that the bariatric surgery can only take you so far. You have to realize that you are worth the trouble. Learning how to prepare healthy food and learning to like it is actually an act of self-preservation.

food doesn't taste bad to me I just don't want it. I don't crave food like I use too. I also use to be thirsty all the time and now I have to force myself to remember to get my Water in. It's crazy how I use to LOVE LOVE LOVE food and now it is a chore to eat. I'm so happy I made the decision to have the gastric sleeve. Because now I eat to live and no live to eat. I pack me Snacks that are good for me and am finally making better decisions.

Just some advice that has helped me get thru this phase. Stop looking to food to make you happy. Most of us had food addictions of some sort before surgery and food was a comfort and feel good mechanism. You really need to wrap your head around the whole eat to live and not live to eat mentality. That way you're just putting fuel in your body and not eating to make yourself happy.

This has been a hard thing for my wife and I. No matter what was happening good or bad we could always go out and eat and all was better. We have an argument and we would go out to lunch the next day to a favorite place to talk it out and enjoy a good meal. Now it just causes me stress because I am like no I brought my lunch I need to eat healthy. We had to find new ways to communicate and relate.

Once you are able to accept that food is not to make you happy but instead there to make you live, then you can get past nothing tasting good. I swear the old me would never eat the same thing 3 days in a row, now I can make something and make a weeks worth of lunch out of it and I am happy cause its healthy and fills me up with the Protein i need.

Edited by Remmy75

@@Remmy75 you are so on point. I would be eating Breakfast and thinking already about lunch. I agree, for each meal I wanted something different and good and savory and delicious. Now since I eat so little at a sitting, I make a batch of something and eat on it for at least two days maybe three. I'm learning to eat healthier and make better choices and make meals about getting the nutrition I need. It's hard to change your way of thinking but you do in order to succeed. and this site helps with that a lot.