Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG In Tijuana, Mexico ANYONE?!

I would like to know the experience of any others that have had their VSG in Tijuana, Mexico since I´m very interested in going there, though its is a bit scary for me, so please help me by sharing your story and Thank you so so much.

I went Nov28 last year. It was seamless! I am down 40lbs. They picked me up at the airport and provided all transportation. I went alone and while that made me a little nervous I didn't mind it at all once I got there. I slept a lot after surgery when I wasn't up walking the halls. If I had someone with me They would have been bored! I work in a hospital and their methods and handoff procedures are what we do here. The "hospital" was more of a dedicated surgery center but the care was great. The after stay in the hotel was fine too. Room service would bring bottled Water, Popsicles, and broth when I called. It was all included in the surgery charges. I did tip them a dollar for delivery. The hotel was very nice. Everyone spoke good English. We went to an outpatient radiology clinic the day after surgery for an upper GI to check for leaks. They took you there and back as well. There were 3 ladies that all had surgery the same day as I did. We got to chat a bit when walking the halls and going to the tests so I didn't feel alone. They sent me home with starter meds, Water and antacids. The TSA just scanned my larger liquids on the plane ride home. I felt safe and comfortable the whole time.

Take ear plugs. Tijuana is a big loud city And they like to party! Lots of loud music everywhere at night it seemed!

Just got back from having surgery in Tijuana with Dr. Carlos Altamirano on 1/15/16. It went wonderful and the staff was friendly and attentive.

Tijuana was a lively city and I had a safe and wonderful trip. No regrets so far. :)

I had a surprisingly lovely experience in Tijuana when I had my surgery with Dr. Garcia in August. My parents came with me, and they were very well taken care and enjoyed their stay. I live in LA and had been to Tijuana a couple of times, but we only just crossed over the border and never went beyond the gaudy tourist strip. It was a pleasant surprise that there are some very pretty areas. We felt completely safe. We stayed at the Marriott which was a bit dated, but very comfortable and had a staff willing to take good care of us. They provided complimentary transportation for my parents from the hotel to the hospital every day, which I appreciated. There is a small but nice shopping center not far from the hotel with a Walmart, Applebees, and other shops and restaurants, and they also were taken there whenever they wished.

At the hospital I had the EKG and blood work and met with the staff, who were all pleasant. The surgery itself went smoothly, and I really didn't experience as much pain or discomfort as feared. I started my period immediately after the surgery, and the cramping far was more intense than usual. I dry heaved a bit the first few hours, and then felt fine. I brought Gas-X strips and a heating pad with me, and I recommend that others do the same. I was able to walk quickly on, and was told to slow things down because I was going too fast. Some of the nursing staff did not speak English but they were attentive and friendly. The hospital was very nice, though it is under construction and extremely noisy. I brought my laptop and an HDMI cable with me to hook up to the TV, and my parents spent most of their time in the room with me watching movies I'd loaded on before I left home. I slept a lot.

After leaving the hospital I didn't really have that much pain, either. We'd driven to the border since it's just two hours from my house, and had parked at the border crossing lot. That's where we were picked up and dropped off. I'd felt energetic enough to go shopping at the outlet mall near the parking lot, and to stop at a few fun places on the way back to LA.

I was given medication and a folder with instructions on follow-up care. I don't feel like not having a local surgeon has been a detriment. Reputable bariatric centers like the mayo Clinic provide information about what to eat and how to care for yourself online, so that education is accessible by anyone. I also have gotten good feedback from here and another forum when I've had questions. I have excellent doctors in LA, and am having my annual next month. I'll get blood work then.

It's been five months since I had the surgery and I've lost 50 pounds. This isn't a phenomenal loss in comparison to others, but I'm pleased with it. I've gone from a size 14 to a size 8. My periods are regular every month now. Before they were very erratic. My BMI was low for the surgery, which is one of the reasons I went to Mexico. Since it was under 35 I would have had to gain weight for my insurance to even consider covering the cost. And even then it would have been an uphill battle because they do not consider my PCOS to be a comorbidity. My fertility endocrinologist was the one who had suggested the surgery to me because other patients my age and size with PCOS have been helped with it, but that still wouldn't have sufficed in regards to insurance contributing. I went for consultations at a few surgeons, and the least expensive one was going to charge $29,000. If my insurance had covered anything, my responsibility still would have come to around $5000. With the surgery in Mexico the total cost was right around that, and that included the hotel stay not just for me but the additional room my parents had. The hospital in Mexico was actually much nicer than the ones in Los Angeles, and I feel like my surgeon did a good job. I don't regret going to Mexico at all.

Just got back from having surgery in Tijuana with Dr. Carlos Altamirano on 1/15/16. It went wonderful and the staff was friendly and attentive.

Tijuana was a lively city and I had a safe and wonderful trip. No regrets so far. :)

How are you feeling now? :)

Going to Mexico was the best decision I've ever made. I had the surgery in June with Dr. Garcia. My mom went three weeks later, and my aunt went three weeks after that.

I've lost 65lbs. My mom has lost 70, and my aunt who was larger than all of us refuses to get on the scale but her weight loss was substantial.

I met several people the day of surgery and I still talk to all of them, but no one went with me and I was perfectly comfortable. post-230312-14536127737149_thumb.jpg post-230312-14536127948929_thumb.jpg post-230312-14536128284794_thumb.jpg

Those are pictures of Hospital CER, where my surgery was done

I had surgery 1/13/16 and it went awesome. I didn't even know about Medical Tourism before this! It's kind of opened up a door where I know later down the road if I need plastics and don't want to be in debt the rest of my life, I have another option. I don't want to get TOO carried away with it, but it's nice to know the option is there.

I would like to know the experience of any others that have had their VSG in Tijuana, Mexico since I´m very interested in going there, though its is a bit scary for me, so please help me by sharing your story and Thank you so so much.

Hi Cherrycupcake21 how are you?

My name is Peter and i am a member of BariatricPal TeamMX, let me tell you that Tijuana it's a safe city, things have changed a lot, everyday we have patients coming here and believe me the least thing they worry it's about security. We have personnel Valet to take care of our patients and companions so they enjoy their staying. If you have anymore questions you can contact me at: peter@bariatricpal.com :)

(619) 900-7345 Office Number(619) 651-0803 mobile number
(844) WLS-DEAL / (844) 957-3325
Office Hours: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Monday thru Friday