Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The truth is, I failed

I had my surgery on 4/2/15. Pre surgery diet I was 260, surgery day I was 248. Im now 210. Yes, 38 whopping pounds in 9 months (but really ive been at 210 since october). The thing is that the people I know all act like ive done something astounding. Theyre not looking at the numbers and comparing it to what I should have done. I have exercised zilch and graze on junk because "food"food is yuck and heavy. I feel like I have thrown my chance away.

If you are grazing on junk food I would think you are in the process of throwing away this opportunity. Why is Protein food yuck

Uh oh! First, here is a hug from Chicago.

Secondly, since when is meat and veggies yucky, and edible chemical-laden crap from a factory your best option for self indulgence?

I am sure you have heard the saying "If you keep on doing what you have been doing, you are going to keep on getting what you have been getting."

So, you have to change your thinking in order to change your results.

Don't start tomorrow. Start with the next thing that goes in your mouth.

You need to think of your body as a mechanical container for the spiritual you - that essence

of being that makes you who you are. You need to respect that machine and give it the proper nutritional fuel that it needs. Your wouldn't try to make your car run on Pepsi instead of gas.

Would you let a toddler run out into traffic because it can? I hope not. You need to stop your self imposed pity party and take control of this situation...starting right this minute.

Stay around and absorb everything you can from this site. Many of us do falter along the way. Encouragement and tough love" from this forum helps turn us around.

I assume that no one is force-feeding you and that you voluntarily put this factory crap in your mouth. By coming here, you are at least reaching out for help. Opinions and tact will vary, but we have your best interest at heart.

You've only failed if you completely give up. You are still here seeking help so as far as I am concerned you haven't failed.

So, you haven't seen as much progress as you would like. You obviously know why.

Why not make an appointment with your NUT and talk about your goals and how you want to proceed?

Why not find out when the next support group meeting is and attend?

Why not go back to basics? Track your food. Focus on getting in all of your Protein and Water. Pitch the junk into the trash (and don't get it back out). Take your Vitamins.

Find something easy to get you moving. Take a walk. Sign up for a dance class. Join the Y.

You know what to do.

And, if you need even more help, consider finding a counselor or therapist.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

It's not over till it's over. You know the changes you need to make to kick yourself back in to gear. Build on you past success.

"You need to stop your self imposed pity party and take control of this situation...starting right this minute."

yes, you are absolutely right.

as for the "yucky" food comment...I just mean meals just seem so heavy and nauseating. And forget about Protein shakes. Right from jump those things grossed me out.

"You need to stop your self imposed pity party and take control of this situation...starting right this minute."

yes, you are absolutely right.

as for the "yucky" food comment...I just mean meals just seem so heavy and nauseating. And forget about Protein shakes. Right from jump those things grossed me out.

What type of Protein Shakes are you doing? If they are too chalky or heavy maybe try plain powder in crystal light. It's not as heavy.

I agree with the others that if you haven't given up, then you are not a failure.

There are literally dozens of different types of Protein shakes out there - light/no flavor powders, dessert flavors, fruit flavors... and I am sure there is one out there that you'd be able to drink. I personally love Boost's glucose control shakes because they're low carb and taste like thick chocolate milk, and use them for right before or after exercise, but it did take me a few tries to find one that wasn't weird tasting to me.

You know what you need to do, and you found this forum which is super for offering support, tips, and sometimes a smack on the butt to get you going again. ;)

I would suggest doing a hard reset - a 5 day pouch test - and begin again committed to working your sleeve for the maximum benefit. http://5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html

After that, start tracking your food - every single bite - making better food choices (good Proteins, complex carbs, healthy choices), and speak to a NUT that can get you back on track. There is still time in your honeymoon phase to get some serious weight loss in and relearn how to eat and what to eat.

Get excited. Get riled up. But most of all GET UP AND MAKE AN EFFORT. You are so worth this and you can absolutely break through this apathy that is holding you back.

You need to really commit to doing this tho. You have an amazing opportunity still, so don't let it slip through your fingers. You are far enough out to not be experiencing any of the issues of being sleeved and still reap all of the benefits. All you need to do is try and keep on trying - fall off the horse 50 times, get right back on 51!!

Another thing to consider, you don't need to drink the shakes if you can get all your Protein in from food. I know lots of people who don't like the shakes and do just fine. You could also look into adding Protein Powder into other foods. I use it as a Creamer in Decaf coffee. I also add it into sugar free pudding

You weren't mentally prepared for this journey. Did your insurance cover it? I bet if you self-payed you probably would have succeeded because it would have been something you would have had to actually work to save up and earn for.

You can still recover. Go back on the pre-op diet so you can get over your carb withdrawals. Then focus on Protein first, followed by non-starchy vegetables. Go through and throw away all the junk food you have in the house.

I personally suffer from a binge eating disorder, so I very actively work with an eating disorder program while I am on this journey. It is very worth looking into why you are eating what you are eating. Good luck!

Another thing to consider, you don't need to drink the shakes if you can get all your Protein in from food. I know lots of people who don't like the shakes and do just fine. You could also look into adding Protein powder into other foods. I use it as a creamer in Decaf coffee. I also add it into sugar free pudding

SCARLETWITCH, which Protein powder do you use in coffee? Like OP, I hate the drinks, and I have to really work to get my protein. All the powders I've tried clump up or taste weird in coffee. I'd love to find one I could use daily.

Another thing to consider, you don't need to drink the shakes if you can get all your Protein in from food. I know lots of people who don't like the shakes and do just fine. You could also look into adding Protein powder into other foods. I use it as a creamer in Decaf coffee. I also add it into sugar free pudding

SCARLETWITCH, which protein powder do you use in coffee? Like OP, I hate the drinks, and I have to really work to get my protein. All the powders I've tried clump up or taste weird in coffee. I'd love to find one I could use daily.

I use carbthin zero carb vanilla soy protein. Its 98 calories and 24g of protein. It clumps a bit if you stir it into hot coffee. I mix it with room temperature coffee so that it doesn't clump, then heat the coffee. More of a process, I know. But I really like it. Sometimes I do it as ice coffee too.

SCARLETWITCH, which protein powder do you use in coffee? Like OP, I hate the drinks, and I have to really work to get my protein. All the powders I've tried clump up or taste weird in coffee. I'd love to find one I could use daily.

I found RTD Protein Shakes tend to make better Creamers since they don't clump. I use Premier vanilla or chocolate, depending on what flavor mood I'm in. I also use hazelnut, caramel, and Irish cream Torani syrups to make more of a cappuccino/latte drink.

I use PB2, vanilla, banana, piña colada and lime protein powders to flavor plain Greek yogurt to boost the protein level even more. I also add unflavored protein powder to every Soup, casserole, and baked goods I make. Drink dairy milk instead of almond milk because it has a lot more protein.

Have you tried the Syntrax nectar powders? They are more like koolaid rather than a milkshake so you may like them better. Quest bars have 20g protein.

I've used Isopure Vanilla in coffee - I mix it in the cup with a bit of milk or Water first. Premier Protein ready to drink also works. If you throw a shot of chocolate PP and one of vanilla, you get a mocha.

So "real" Protein feels heavy. What have you tried? you might try fish, or shrimp, for something lighter. And don't forget to chew, chew, chew!

I just had a snack of yogurt with unflavored protein powder mixed in. I didn't use a whole scoop, and you don't have to, either. You'd be amazed how many grams of protein you can sneak in this way.

Milk. Fairlife milk has twice the protein and half the carbs of other milks, and no lactose. If the texture of protein shakes puts you off, thin them with this. If you add a half-scoop of protein powder to a glass of Fairlife, you get nearly 30 gm of protein in your glass of milk.

Protein really helps curb hunger. What it won't do is keep you from reaching for your slider foods. That's a head game - why do you feel the need to sabotage yourself after you went through the work of getting the surgery? That isn't a question we need to know the answer to - but YOU do.