Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am doing some research prior to WLS. I went into my consultation thinking that RNY was the best surgery for me. My doctor did not have anything positive to say about it for someone my age and eagerness to have a family. I will be 29 next month and have no children. She stated that with the RYN, it would be very difficult to provide enough nutrients to have viable pregnancies. She also mentioned lifelong nutrient deficiencies. Has anyone had a doctor okay RNY at a young age and do you regret the more extreme surgery? Thanks in advance!

Argh- I accidentally posted this on your other post!

@@swinglifeaway That's strange. My surgeon literally said the opposite. I'm 27 and am hoping that an added bonus to becoming healthier is finally having thr ability to conceive. Thanks to PCOS, the last 7 years we've been trying...we had ZERO luck. He was very confident in my chances after WLS and when I asked about the safety, he was not concerned at all. Like everything else, how well I do is based on how well I choose to do. Like with losing weight, I have full control over how successful I will be. And with getting/being pregnant, it will be up to me to make sure I continue to eat healthy and put the right nutrients in my body to ensure a healthy baby.

It's crazy to see the difference in the way surgeon's practice across the US alone..

Personally I have no experience with this other than having an interesting discussion about the many benefits of WLS with my surgeon. He actually discussed (in his opinion) how beneficial WLS can be for women who would otherwise have pregnancy complicated by being obese.

He mentioned to me that pregnancy after gastric bypass can be rather safe and healthy especially when managed with your various doctors. He also stated that the latest research shows improved health of mother and baby compared to women who conceive while overweight.

When I talked with my surgeon pre-op he told me that there was a long term study in Quebec, Canada that followed women and babies for approximately 20 years after the mother had WLS. They found that the reduced weight of the mothers led to an increased likelihood of the children growing up to be healthy weight adults. To me this was a huge factor in going through with the surgery. I wanted to give my future babies the best start in life. I was 29 when I had my surgery. Whether you get pregnant or not after surgery you need to make sure you are taking your Vitamins and taking care of yourself. My surgeon also said that babies will arrive when they want to, but to try to wait two years post-op before getting pregnant. He also said that with any pregnancy you want to have good comprehensive medical care to ensure the health of mother and baby :)

I replied to the other forum:

"And I was going to say there are many people on this forum and others who have had zero problems getting pregnant. I hate to say this but your doctor is wrong. Having the sleeve will not make getting pregnant any easier."

I agree with the other posters. My surgeon knows that the desire to have a child is my #1 reason for proceeding with RNY, and she never mentioned anything indicating this would not be the best idea. Its the weight loss itself that increases fertility and reduces the likelihood of complications during pregnancy - I believe that the type of surgery is irrelevant. The only real issue is if you get pregnant too soon after surgery. Your body needs time to recover from the major changes to its gastrointestinal system, and your weight needs to stabalize. Getting pregnant too early will not only sacrifice your weight loss, since you and your medical team will need to do everything in your power to stop it, but you'll definitely struggle to get in enough calories and nutrients, even with supplements.

As others have said, my surgeon said the complete opposite. I haven't had surgery yet and I am about half way through my pre-op requirements for insurance. As you did, I did lots of research on both the sleeve and RNY. I personally know several people who have had both surgeries and talked to them and asked questions. I know everyone is different, but wanted to hear their experience and why they chose the surgery they chose. I went into my consultation thinking I was set on having the gastric sleeve. I'm 28 and my biggest concern was having a healthy pregnancy. I don't have kids currently either and that's one of the biggest reasons I'm having surgery is to be healthy enough to have a healthy pregnancy and to be around a long time to be a mom once I do have children. When I spoke with my surgeon and told him my concerns and why I was leaning towards the sleeve, he told me I shouldn't have any worries about nutrient deficiencies and not being able to have a healthy pregnancy after RNY. As long as I am eating how I should and taking my Vitamins and taking care of myself, I will be fine. He said that I would actually be ahead of the game so to speak by taking the Calcium and other Vitamins before I get pregnant and when I get pregnant because in the first weeks of pregnancy its the most important for you to have those as that is what helps development of healthy hearts, brains and spines in the baby. He suggested I have RNY due to the amount of weight I am looking to lose and because of my age and desire to get pregnant. As others have stated, he advised I wait at least 12 months before I consider trying to conceive since that's when you have your most rapid weight loss and should wait until your weight stabilizes. But that's with either surgery. After I left thay consultation, my husband and I bother thought RNY was the surgery I shold have.

Those are my surgeons suggestions for me and his thoughts, but everyone and every surgeon is different. Maybe schedule another consultation with a different surgeon just to get their take on things? Good luck!!!

I am almost 12 years post-op RNY and have had 3 completely normal pregnancies. Any complications had nothing to do with gastric bypass. With my first in 2010 ( 6 yrs post op) I told every doctor thinking I would be high risk or closely watched. They were just like "and?...." It was no big deal. They would have reacted if I was 250 pounds (SW). I think it is much healthier for you and baby after RNY than if you were obese. best of luck! Anyone who has pregnancy questions please let me know. I have had 2 csections(not due to RNY) and my last pregnancy was post Tummy Tuck. That was harder than post RNY! Hope everyone is well:)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hey @@matvinixmom ! I was so happy to read your story. It gives me hope! I'm curious- how was the weight aspect after getting pregnant? Was it difficult to lose the pregnancy weight?

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Each pregnancy has made it harder to lose the weight. I am now about 40 pounds higher than my lowest weight, which was too low to maintain anyway. I had my last baby a year ago, and have only lost 10 pounds since my immediate post pregnancy weight. This time I am trying not to get obsessed and enjoy my life with my 3 boys, but I would really love to lose 20 or 30 pounds. I've been trying everything and yo-yoing for a year. I am really trying to stop dieting and just get back to a healthy gastric bypass diet. I also have been eating and drinking together and not doing Protein first. It's tough, but not impossible. It's also important not to go crazy while pregnant. I think I gave myself way too much flexibility while pregnant, eating things that no pregnant woman should have, let alone a baristric patient should have. Remembering that I cannot eat what everyone else eats because I have had the gastric bypass helps. Finding this website also has helped. I am really trying to focus on my bypass and make decisions based upon my needs as an RNY patient.

Edited by matvinixmom

I hate to hear the struggle you are experiencing with losing the extra pounds. But I do commend you for fessing up to your own contributions to the problem. I believe you will be able to lose the weight once you get back to your bariatric food guidelines! And not wanting to obsess over this and enjoy life is totally understandable! Good luck on your continued journey! :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by sassyfrass23

I am doing some research prior to WLS. I went into my consultation thinking that RNY was the best surgery for me. My doctor did not have anything positive to say about it for someone my age and eagerness to have a family. I will be 29 next month and have no children. She stated that with the RYN, it would be very difficult to provide enough nutrients to have viable pregnancies. She also mentioned lifelong nutrient deficiencies. Has anyone had a doctor okay RNY at a young age and do you regret the more extreme surgery? Thanks in advance!

My doctor told me something completely different. Also I am only 22 years old and I asked about having children later on. He told me that it would be fine, that they would be healthier. Also he had preformed rny on his daughter and she had been already 4 years post op, and she was currently pregnant with her 2nd child. So I don't think your doctor has the right information. Best of luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App

The only thing my doc said was to wait 2 years after WLS before getting pregnant. I can't remember why though.

Well, I met with my surgeon and he highly recommended RNY. I also met with my OBGYN and she feels with supplements, nutrition modification, and being closely monitored, I can have successful pregnancies after bypass. I should have surgery next month. Thanks so so much for everyone's input.