Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was forced into the gastric sleeve.

I just read the responses and didn't see the original post but I gather that you had the sleeve surgery because your mother wanted you to but never intended to go through with it and now don't know what to do? Is that the gist?

Whether or not you wanted it you now have had the surgery. What choice do you have but to accept it and move forward? You need to take control of your health and your recovery.

Did you receive any nutritional counseling? Do you know what your Protein target is? Did you receive a detailed post-op food plan? Do you have a Vitamin schedule?

I recommend you learn as much as you can, make an appointment with your NUT, and find a good therapist.

A few books you may want to read: Alex's Big Book of Gastric Sleeve, Eat it Up! (a book written by a therapist who works with WLS patients), and The Emotional a First Aid Kit (I think that is the title. I haven't read it but have heard really good things about it.) I also recommend you consider reading Melodie Beattie's book entitled The Language of Letting Go. It may help you come to peace with your situation.

We can help you, but it is important you use all of the professional resources available to you.

The quote below appears to be from the same user from about a week ago. I don't have all the information as it appears some posts have been deleted, but unless someone else posted this for her, she seems to be consenting pretty clearly.

She also appears to meet the qualifications just fine if she's 230 at 5'2.

Something smells funny here....

"I have my surgery scheduled for 1/13/16 I'm excited nervous and grateful over all. I only have to do one week pre op diet and I started that today. I went from planing on getting a balloon, to wanting the lap band, then was suggested the sleve so I just went for it. If my doctor is confident it's the best option for me I trust him completely cause I am ready to TAKE MY LIFE BACK!! I'm 21 years old. I wasn't really too heavy until a few years ago. I'm 5'2 and around 230 lbs. I used to be way smaller but hey I fell in love and my boyfriend and I found time together by eating out together. So here I am! Still in love with the same man but not so much in love with my self. Already I'm missing so much out of life. I turned 21 in July and still haven't celebrated since none of my friends recognize me from the extra weight. I've kinda been hiding away. I was recently diagnosed with pcos, have always had depression but now with horrorible anxiety. So I must say today is the day I change forever so glad I have found this forum with others going through the same thing"

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/358588-Anybody-have-a-surgery-date-of%2E%2E%2E%2E%2E%2Eon-or-close-to-1-11-16%3F/page__view__findpost__p__4046655

This thread began with her mother, who only ate an Apple a day, forcing the OP on diet pills from when she was 8 and essentially forcing her to stay thin via whatever means. The OP said she gained 70# after moving out since she finally had access to food, and the mom was insistent on bariatric surgery. The plan was to teach mom a lesson by letting her waste a bunch of money ( I just assumed cash pay) and then back out quite literally at the last minute. Surgeons and hospital were great but too quick because she was knocked out and woke up with her stomach cut out thus foiling her plan to " teach mom a lesson" the OP went on to say she consented to everything ( signed all the paperwork) but didn't really know how much she weighed, BMI but approximated. She also didn't know anything about the sleeve but felt terrible ( physically). Her sisters have consoled her that she will feel better but mom is happier that she won't be able to gain weight back again.

My reply was about that last point....yes Virginia, you CAN gain weight back post bariatric surgery.

I think it is clear this person is either a troll, or needs mental help or some combination thereof, especially when the previous post psychprof quoted is thrown in. op said she was in counseling which is another fishy detail. Wouldn't a counselor be ethically required to report the cohersiin of this scale?

@@CowgirlJane.

Thanks for the recap.

Either a troll, someone really gullible and immature, or someone who needs much more professional help than we can provide.

The quote below appears to be from the same user from about a week ago. I don't have all the information as it appears some posts have been deleted, but unless someone else posted this for her, she seems to be consenting pretty clearly.

She also appears to meet the qualifications just fine if she's 230 at 5'2.

Something smells funny here....

"I have my surgery scheduled for 1/13/16 I'm excited nervous and grateful over all. I only have to do one week pre op diet and I started that today. I went from planing on getting a balloon, to wanting the lap band, then was suggested the sleve so I just went for it. If my doctor is confident it's the best option for me I trust him completely cause I am ready to TAKE MY LIFE BACK!! I'm 21 years old. I wasn't really too heavy until a few years ago. I'm 5'2 and around 230 lbs. I used to be way smaller but hey I fell in love and my boyfriend and I found time together by eating out together. So here I am! Still in love with the same man but not so much in love with my self. Already I'm missing so much out of life. I turned 21 in July and still haven't celebrated since none of my friends recognize me from the extra weight. I've kinda been hiding away. I was recently diagnosed with pcos, have always had depression but now with horrorible anxiety. So I must say today is the day I change forever so glad I have found this forum with others going through the same thing"

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/358588-Anybody-have-a-surgery-date-of%2E%2E%2E%2E%2E%2Eon-or-close-to-1-11-16%3F/page__view__findpost__p__4046655

Ummm ok yeah that's a 42 BMI, big difference from what's being presented here I think. Even if she was posting from an optimistic please mom way over there

I honestly think she was having a full on anxiety attack along with the normal "what the hell did I just do to myself?" moment. It was the typical moment of regret ramped up to 1000...to the point of wanting to blame everyone else and being terrified of what the future holds with 85% of her stomach gone.

But what do I know. I only post here. :P

sounds like regret and externalizing of blame... hope they get the help and support they need and can learn to work their sleeve.

I'm fairly new here and I'm only 2 weeks out (tomorrow will be 2 weeks) but I feel maybe she is placing the blame on someone else due to the initial after surgery regret. Whatever the case is, I really hope this young lady finds happiness. If it's a troll, then shame on them.

Wow! What Dr. Would do this to an unwilling patient and provide no education? This is totally wrong. Are you over 21? You would have to have signed papers to have this surgery done. We need to know the name of the Dr. and the hospital that did this , so we can warn others.

Yes I'm over 21 I signed the papers did the online stuff the hospital did everything right. I just never planned on actually doing it. Just was trying to teach my mom a lesson but Now I'm stuck with it. The hospital was actually great they did do a good job taking care of me

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Mind if I ask "when" your surgery date was? Your profile states that it was in November of 1999. So I'm confused, trying to catch up =) thank you!

Everyone that doesn't fill out their profile has a date of 1999. I wish that was turned off.

Wow! What Dr. Would do this to an unwilling patient and provide no education? This is totally wrong. Are you over 21? You would have to have signed papers to have this surgery done. We need to know the name of the Dr. and the hospital that did this , so we can warn others.

Yes I'm over 21 I signed the papers did the online stuff the hospital did everything right. I just never planned on actually doing it. Just was trying to teach my mom a lesson but Now I'm stuck with it. The hospital was actually great they did do a good job taking care of me

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Mind if I ask "when" your surgery date was? Your profile states that it was in November of 1999. So I'm confused, trying to catch up =) thank you!

I'm a newbie here, for some reason when I edited my profile it wouldn't give me the option to leave the surgery date blank, therefore mine says November 1999 too but I haven't even had surgery yet.

I think it is clear this person is either a troll, or needs mental help or some combination thereof, especially when the previous post psychprof quoted is thrown in. op said she was in counseling which is another fishy detail. Wouldn't a counselor be ethically required to report the cohersiin of this scale?

In reference to this section, just to clarify, clinicians, regardless of field, can only report on what they know (ie. What clients tell). And what can be reported is VERY specific. A practical joke, so to speak, even such a large one, is not reportable. Nor are most actual crimes as per most ethical guidelines. Clinicians can only break the confidentiality of the counseling session if there is concern the client will be harmed, the client intends to harm another (physically), if there is child or vulnerable adult abuse or neglect, if permission is given, or by court order. There are a few other extenuating circumstances (ie. Medical emergency, client sues, etc.), otherwise, that's it. Breaking confidentiality could result in the loss of licensure and being sued.

That said, having been unable to read the original post, the words personable responsibility really stand out. Play chicken, face the consequences. In this case, a potentially life saving consequence. Congrats.

Edited by Mistie

Mistie is correct... I'm a therapist and the therapist could face censure and have license suspended or revoked for breaking confidentiality.

So pseudo planning on having 85percent of tummy removed with no intention of Being educated or compliant is not self harm? Of course if she lied to surgeon, why not lie to counselors?

guess now i know why my surgeon insisted on the psych letter we even though my insurance didn't require it.

BTW, counselor and my primary care doc were against bariatric procedures but as responsible professionals they did write that I understood it,had reasonable expectations and threw something in there about highly motivated to succeed.

Anyway, this is a sad situation whether it's all true or it. I can't imagine being pressured into this. I know I am in the minority, but I don't think most young people should have WLS.