Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Revison to Sleeve, Bypass, or not at all? Advice Please!

So I was banded 8 years ago. No real complications...got to a the median estimated weight loss over time. Began to creep up a pound here and there and figured would "upgrade" to a new long term solution with the sleeve being the direction I was pointed. Main reasons were that I know that at some point the band will fail etc as it is a mechanical device...and secondly to get ahead on the weight regain curve.

Saved up on self pay, got my unfill about a month ago now in preparation for a Feb 19th sleeve revision surgery which is scheduled.

Now here is the problem...and question..

prior to banding I had severe gerd...to the point where I was afraid to go to bed at night. Woke up with acid in my sinuses 3 times a week, choking on stomach acid whole nine yards.

I thought it was because I was fat and was one of the driving reasons for my weight loss surgery. In my banding surgery they found a hernia and repaired it. Cool that must be my reason right? Fat and hernia...

Never had Gerd or heartburn post banding...well, until after my unfill that is. Just about after every meal I have heartburn to some degree. Havent had a night time gerd episode "yet" but after reading all the GERD stories on sleeves I am hyper nervous.

To the point of looking at all options to include blowing the surgery off...Does anyone have any experience, stories from yourself or even other friends where something similar occurred ?? Any suggestions at all?

I haven't talked to my doctor yet as I want to kind of have my mind in a strong direction before doing so. I am thinking about bypass, but it seems the most extreme and frankly freaks me out a bit. My BMI is 34.5 currently...Also what if I try to go back into lapband fills after the break? Maybe it will be like a new banding? but that contradicts one of the reason I wanted a revision in the first place, lol..

Anyone tried unfill to refill strategy ?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!

I had severe GERD and got bypass. It's been amazing. Yes it's drastic but I have felt so much better getting my band removed

Now here is the problem...and question..

prior to banding I had severe gerd...to the point where I was afraid to go to bed at night. Woke up with acid in my sinuses 3 times a week, choking on stomach acid whole nine yards.

I thought it was because I was fat and was one of the driving reasons for my weight loss surgery. In my banding surgery they found a hernia and repaired it. Cool that must be my reason right? Fat and hernia...

Never had Gerd or heartburn post banding...well, until after my unfill that is. Just about after every meal I have heartburn to some degree. Havent had a night time gerd episode "yet" but after reading all the GERD stories on sleeves I am hyper nervous.

Anyone tried unfill to refill strategy ?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!

Hi Duckhnt,

I had band to RnY revision six months ago. The main reason my doctor advised me to choose RnY was because of the severe GERD that was caused by the band. The sleeve is usually not a good choice for people who suffer with GERD.

Now your situation may be different...but what happened to me is that the lapband was overfilled and resulted in a Dialated Esophagus. Thankfully the esophagus retracted back to normal and I was able to have the revision to RnY.

Like you I was awakened every night with acid reflux. My poor husband had to endure my nightly coughing sessions and neither of got any quality sleep. The RnY procedure totally put that to an end...and my weight loss has been kickstarted again.

If you haven't already, get to a bariatric doctor asap. He will probably order an Upper GI to see whats going on.

Best of luck to you!

I am 5 days Post-op band to bypass. I don't have GERD but due to the band constantly slipping and rubbing, I developed similar symptoms of GERD. I've heard many physicians lean towards bypass if you already have GERD because it could make it worse. I know you want to have done as much research on your own to present to your physician, but they really are the best to get advice on which route to take. I wish you the best in your decision and hope all goes well with whichever surgery you pick.

Hi all I'm usually on the gastric sleeve pages but I thought I might be able to help a bit, I was a lap band to sleeve revision, the gastric sleeve is also know to cause gurd so if you suffer from that with the lap band there's a chance you might with the sleeve , do to complications my sleeve twisted and also have gurd, I'm having gastrectomy with gastrojejunostomy. On the 21st

Hi. In june 2012 I had Gastric Sleeve. I went from 330 to 167. I had gerd prior to surgery. I then developed a worse case of gerd and something called esophageal spasms. The spasms were so severe that I went to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack in January 2015. I had test after test, endoscope, barium swallow, I got treated for ulcers, I had a monometry done. I stopped eating meat, the only thing I could get down was slider food. I choked a lot on my food. I have to say that I also have Lupus so my problems are probably twofold.

I went from 167-205. I am switching from gastric-sleeve to gastric bypass. I worked hard prior to my sleeve surgery and lost 70 pounds.

I am now on my 4th day of pre-op shake and surgery is scheduled for March 21st.

I do not regret getting the sleeve, however I wish I would have done the gastric bypass. I walk around constantly with acid in my throat and I feel horrible. The pain in my chest due to spasms is more than an annoyance too. What is worse is I never hit my goal weight the first go round and then gaining weight back.

No matter what surgery you have though, you can and will gain weight if you switch to slider food. I eat very little but only liquids and soft food go down for me without choking.

Best of luck.

I got my band removed in December 2015 and am revising to RNY the end of the month. Due to the extreme GERD and esophageul spasms, I was not a candidate. I know a gal who is 6 weeks post op with the Sleeve and she's having horrible GERD. Sadly, she will probably have to revise to RNY.

I had my band removed in 2013 due to slippage resulting in GERD I wanted a sleeve but surgeon said it isn't suitable for me and suggested bypass instead.

After reading multiple threads on this forum of sleeve to RNY revision, I think it's a wise thing for me to do.

Sent from my SM-G920F using the BariatricPal App

I had 13 years of misery with the band....I am 3 months revision to RNY.Best decision ever!!!!

No Gerd,vomiting,pain,slippage,stuck issues!!!

I am living life normally again!!!!