Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't Decide About Surgery!

As I research I go back and forth between trying once more to lose my 150 pounds by conventional diet or surgery. The dietary changes after surgery sound so hard I'm worried I won't be able to do it. Do you think it is easier to maintain a weight loss after surgery than it was to maintain one before? (I've lost and regained so often.) I'm so scared of dumping and Vitamin deficiencies with gastric bypass. I have a mild form of GERD controlled by medicine but it makes me hesitant to try the sleeve. I'm an incredibly picky eater so worry about getting the Protein in (no seafood, soft cheese, yogurt, tofu,ground or rare meat, etc). I'm 55 and starting to have real health consequences so losing weight is urgent. Advice please!

We are all on here because we have opted for some form of WLS.As far as conventional .If you were able to maintain or go conventional you would not be 150 pounds overweight.Do your research with the knowledge that 150 pounds of excess weight is shortening your life.If you overeat then dumping will happen.You have to take control.No more excuses.Focus on the positive of each procedure and see a qualified surgeon and seek a bariatric program where you can meet people who have had WLS.

And frankly, most food restrictions after WLS are likely to be the same things you should be restricting with any diet anyway. Or, you will gain the weight back. WLS just makes it easier to not have those foods later.

You CAN lose weight with traditional diets. But I assume, like most of us, you already have, many times.

not everyone dumps. I don't. I've read about 30% of post-op patients do. But it's easy to avoid it by following the program. Also, Vitamin deficiencies are rare in people who keep on top of their Vitamins. The people who have trouble with them are *usually* people who aren't diligent about taking their Vitamins.< /p>

If you can take off 150 lbs and keep it off, then do it. I couldn't. Tried again and again and again. I'd lose about 50 lbs, hit a brick wall, and then gradually gain it back. I finally came to the realization that surgery was the only way I was going to be able to do it.

that being said, you need to be in the right frame of mind to do this. It takes a lot of work and dedication. If you're not ready yet, then you're not ready. I thought about it for around five years before I was mentally ready.

also, if you have GERD, then yes, bypass is probably a better option. I also had GERD pre-surgery and haven't had any trouble with it all since my surgery.

Like everyone else here I have also lost and regained hundreds of pounds over a life time. I seem to remember

the chances of keeping off weight conventionally is only something like 3-5%. That is not a very good

result after all the work to lose. If you are starting get health consequences it is time to look at other

ways.

You may be surprised to find your eating choices/ your taste in foods changes after surgery. Many people find that

and perhaps that will help you. You will also have time while you go through the hoops to get the surgery

to try out lots of different Protein Drinks and sources and find something you find tolerable.

You have taken a good first step thinking about surgery and com coming here where there is so much help and

support.

Good luck on this journey.

I am 32 months post-op RNY gastric bypass. One of the interesting things that happened after my surgery was that I completely lost my hunger. It was not difficult to lose weight when hunger is not constantly continually gnawing at your bones. Many individuals that undergo RNY experience this loss of hunger. This condition does not last forever but after a year or two the hunger returns but not at the same level. RNY is the best approach for those with GERD. I had severe acid reflux (GERD) prior to surgery. But that condition went into remission after surgery. I have experience dumping syndrome. But once you go through it once, you become aware of the signs and stop before you reach that state. So for most people it is not a significant problem. I keep up on my Vitamin regiment. Since I undergo blood work about once a year any deficiencies are noted and my Vitamin regiment is modified for any deficiency. Life is full of trade-offs. I traded my love for food for being healthy. My diabetes, high blood pressure, GERD, sleep apnea and several other conditions went into remission within days after surgery and have stayed in remission.

Think of it this way... in order to lose weight, with or without surgery we need to alter our behaviors and eating habits to consume less food and consume the right kinds of food. We also need to increase physical activity. These are the key factors you would follow with either path.

Weight loss surgery is not a quick fix by itself. It provides us with a tool which makes it easier to make those changes and comply with our new habits and behaviors. Restricting intake and possibly absorption (with bypass) help to achieve the weight loss we want, but with either path we have to alter the way we eat and how much we take in.

There are studies published in the past couple of years that seem to indicate permanent weight loss is usually only achieved through surgery. According to the studies, almost everyone who loses conventionally gains most or all of their weight back. Conventional dieting doesn't change our metabolic set point. Weight loss surgery does.

However, you have to make sure you have the personal commitment to make the eating and behavioral changes necessary, otherwise weight loss surgery is just another expensive path to failure. You have to decide if you are willing to change your eating habits, commit to a healthy nutrition program and increased exercise. If you make that commitment, you will be successful with weight loss surgery.

When I decided to have surgery, I realized and admitted to myself that I wasn't going to be able to do it on my own - it takes a lot of soul searching, research, discussions with loved ones, etc. This is a huge decision!

I'm a little over 2 years out - I have had difficulty recently with some regain, 17 pounds. It's horrifying. Luckily, my 2 year follow up was due and my doc reminded me of some tools I had in my tool box - reintroducing shakes, pointing out the fact I was grazing, and prescribed some appetites suppressants to get me back on track.

I wish I could say that because of the surgery, it's all sunshine and lollipops and that I never ever have to worry about my weight. I do. But it is easier to re-gain control than it was prior to surgery. Two years out, I still have to work hard. I still have to exercise every day and I still have to monitor my intake of calories - I work at controlling my weight every day.

The difference between today and 5 years ago, I have learned to love myself and take care of myself. My negative self talk is gone for the most part. I don't hate my body any more. I don't wake up in the morning and put a lot of pressure on myself to "behave" or "do it right today" or "lose 10 pounds by the end of the month". I don't feel compelled to do that. Now, I know that exercising or doing hot yoga makes me feel good. I know that eating large amounts of bread or processed foods, makes me feel bad, so I try to stay away. If I have a yummy yeast roll, it's a conscience decision and I enjoy every delicious bite - but I allow myself one and move on.

Many of us on here have a similar story as you (tried many diets with losses then regained). Anything you do will require lifestyle modifications whether it be a strict diet and exercise program, or WLS.

I got tired of the yo-yo diet which lead to my decision for gastric bypass. Are there risks? Yes, but many times things like dumping syndrome can be mitigated by how regimented you follow the diet plan put forth by your nutritionist and surgeon.

Edited by jj7481

Wow - great comments! Thanks for all the responses! It sounds like you are all saying it is a little easier maintaining after surgery. I am ready to make permanent changes (not exactly happy about it but I know I have to). Even though it has always been easy for me to lose weight at some point I would go off my regimen and would find myself regaining at an even faster rate (faster than would seem possible on paper if you calculated my calories).That's what scared me cuz when I read comments from so many people struggling not to regain I was thinking what if I end up in the exact same position as before regaining uncontrollably with a now altered anatomy? I would not have the surgery just to lose the weight - it might be a faster and easier way to lose but I can lose without surgery. I will do it if it can help me maintain my loss because that is what I have never been able to do.

Btw when I say it might be easier I mean because of not being as hungry- I know from my research it is extremely hard to do even with surgery!

@@j16

I am not sure how old you are but I am 52. I was a yo yo dieter. I lost hundreds of pounds over the years only to gain them back and then some.

It was easy peasy to lose the weight so I did not even concern myself.

I did notice over time that it did become harder to lose and I always gained more than I lost. I am one of those people that looks at food and I gain weight. My husband and sons could not understand it because I did not eat a lot. I was never ever a member of the clean plate club. I did not always eat the right foods but I did not eat a lot.

Finally in the last 5 years prior to my surgery I was unable to lose anything anymore! In fact my weight just kept piling on. I had so many comorbitities that I became sick.

When I saw a nephrologist because I had been diagnosed with stage 3 kidney disease he told me that my metabolism was so screwed up from years of yo yo dieting. He then told me I was young enough to consider weight loss surgery.

Getting to the point where you cannot lose weight without surgical intervention is pretty bad. It sounds like you still have the ability to lose. Don't wait too long.

Gastric bypass was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I really wish I had done it years ago before I caused all this permanent damage to my joints and kidneys.

Don't be afraid, just decide to change your life.

I am down 138lbs in 15 months. I am 7lbs from goal and I have a normal BMI. I am no longer overweight.

I also no longer have severe Gerd, sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, anemia and my stage 3 kidney disease is in remission.

Don't be afraid! Run fast but make sure you really are ready. The surgery is a tool that really does help you lose and maintain your loss but it is up to you to eat the right things and increase your activity.

Good luck to you!

To me no better way than a sleeve. I watched my 2 sons lose well over a hundred pounds each and not following a lot of the rules and are maintaining very well. [They are sleeved]Myself at 58 CANNOT keep the weight off on my own. I am only 4 weeks post-op, but best decision I made for my well -being. THE BEST PART IS THAT MY HUNGER BUTTON IS TURNED OFF! I hope it stays that way. Honestly don't care if I eat or not. I know that hinges also on what I eat, but so far, I love it. 31 pounds in a month and feeling great! GOOD LUCK and I wish you the BEST!

Thanks for the feedback! I was looking at the sleeve rather than gastric bypass but as I said am worried about the GERD. Mine hasn't been a problem with daily medication but my Mom who has never had a weight problem has severe GERD and I'm thinking I could have a genetic disposition to it. Other than that my main problem is overeating. I'm addicted to sugar but have basically cut out all obvious sugar over the last ten years with occasional brief relapses around the holidays.

@@j16 I'm right at the beginning of my bariatric nutritionist supervised diet requirement (90 days total, I'm 5 days in) and still going back and forth about surgery. I've had or will have all my "other" visits and evaluations my doctor and insurance require by next week (iDXA body composition scan, sleep apnea test, psych eval, and upper endoscopy), and I've decided not to fully decide until the 90 days are over, but I'm about 85% sure that I'll have the surgery if approved.

My surgeon has an extensive pre and post surgery plan that starts the day you see the surgeon for the first time. I was really surprised. I'm going to stick to their diet (ketogenic diet -- oof. I miss sugar. But it was shockingly easy to quit drinking 1000-1400 calories a day in chai lattes and Dr Pepper. I would probably kick a puppy for a Breakfast taco, though.) and see what happens over the next 85 days. Their pre surgery diet isn't much different, aside from portion sizes, from their after-surgery diet (once you're past the first 5 weeks after surgery, of course). If I can't stick to the plan for the next 3 months, then I know I won't do well on their plan after surgery, either, and I'll re-asses my plans then. And if I lose more than 20 pounds in the next two months on their plan, AND I feel like I can keep it up without a sleeve or bypass (I also have GERD, and we're waiting until the endoscopy to decide) then maybe I'll switch to a non-surgical patient and continue with their nutrition/medical plan.

The practice's compliant surgical patients have excellent outcomes 1, 2, 3, 5, and 10 years out, and do far better than the non-surgical ones, though, so it is a big maybe on not having surgery.