Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op constipation?

My surgery is coming up on March 14th and I'm getting all my supplies together. I've seen some people say that they get constipated post op and now have to take Probiotics or Fiber supplements. If you are one of those people... what brand do you buy? What makes a good fiber or probiotic Gummy?

I don't suffer from Constipation but I do use the Equate sugar free fiber powder -- I add a couple teaspoons to my Protein Shake if I'm not going to get enough fiber for the day otherwise. I buy it on Amazon. A lot of fiber gummies and so on are loaded with sugar and carbs, so watch out for that.

For constipation, my surgeon recommends using Milk of Magnesia. I only had to do it a couple of times but it worked like a charm. Good luck!

I use fermented foods for pro-biotics: yogurt, eat pickles, kraut, ricotta, ginger, dark chocolate are sources I eat, but there are others. Ii did not get constipated until I started soft foods. It happened ONE time and will not happen again. It was like pushing a watermelon through a straw. I put Walgreens Smooth-lax in my smoothies and have stool softeners on hand if I need them. There is also Smooth Move Teas.

There is a certain joke to eating Haribo's sugar free Gummy Bears. They are so effective that you will be cramping within a couple of hours. The joke is that if there is someone you don't like or is giving you grief at work, just set some out on your desk or in a lunchroom, and you will reek havoc and chaos as people fight for bathroom stall. Go to Amazon.com and search for reviews of Haribo Gummy Bears. OMG it's hilarious.

I suffered with Constipation for about 6 weeks pre-op, but once I started eating regular foods, I have no issues (I am 5 months out now).

My entire "system" is so much better now.

I dealt with IBS for years, always running to the bathroom.

Now I go each morning and that's pretty much it!

I suffered Constipation once when the only thing I was consuming was Protein Shakes. I can assure you that once it happens, you will make sure it does not happen again. Get your fiber in and Water as required you should be fine.

My doctor started me on colace pills day 1 post-op for 30 days. It was enough time for my body to regulate and get back on track. Additionally I ate enough fiber rich foods and Water that I have never been constipated. I would ask the doctor for a script for colace.

Oh my gosh! It has been miserable! I am taking fiber but it doesn't help at all. I am lucky to have one a week.

Oh my gosh! It has been miserable! I am taking fiber but it doesn't help at all. I am lucky to have one a week.

What do you typically eat? How much Water do you drink in a day? It's not too late to ask your doctor for a colace script. I swear it was invaluable to getting me back on track. I went on day 5 and have been regular ever since.

The Multivitamin I take every day contains probiotics. I also eat yogurt with live cultures every day. I get 64-100oz of fluids in every day. I always take miralax after any surgery until I have my first BM. For a long time I took milk of magnesia every other day or so in order to poo because all the Metamucil and Benefiber and Gummy fiber supplements didn't help at all. Then I figured out they were all soluble fiber, which can actually make Constipation worse. Turns out insoluble fiber like apple pectin and ground flax seed was the key to normal, soft, daily BMs for me. I mix insoluble fiber in my Greek yogurt and Protein smoothies every day.

Oh my gosh! It has been miserable! I am taking Fiber but it doesn't help at all. I am lucky to have one a week.

What do you typically eat? How much Water do you drink in a day? It's not too late to ask your doctor for a colace script. I swear it was invaluable to getting me back on track. I went on day 5 and have been regular ever since.

Maybe I need to do that. I am eating mostly Protein and some veggies and fruits. Hard to get enough Water. I stay so full from what little I eat. I do take 3 large fiber supplements a day. Nothing helps. ????

You need to get in Water. Keep a water bottle nearby at all time. Download one of those reminder apps if you need to. Fiber supplements won't work without water and can actually bind you up worse. I even keep a water bottle by the bed and try and drink at least 4 ounce of water when I wake up.

So far I have not experienced Constipation post op. However, it did happen to me a few times during the pre op liquid diet. I took an off brand laxative. I purchased Smooth Moves Tea which is a more natural laxative. Or rather it has those properties.

You need to get in Water. Keep a water bottle nearby at all time. Download one of those reminder apps if you need to. Fiber supplements won't work without water and can actually bind you up worse. I even keep a water bottle by the bed and try and drink at least 4 ounce of water when I wake up.

Thanks for the info. I drank more this weekend and it seemed to help my BMs!