Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

small complaint about my body

I am coming up on my 1 year in March and have lost 77 lbs so far. the dr wants me to be at 155-160 per BMI chart. here is the thing, I haven't lost anything since I hit 175 two months ago. my bone structure isn't meant for 155. I have a body, even though now much slimmer, of a line backer. my dad calls me the Russian beat farmer, but I blame him, since his entire family looks like this. pants, no matter what, except jeggings, fit funny. my hips, and I can feel the bones won't let size 8 up, but my legs need it. when I put on 10s it looks like I am wearing my ex husbands pants.

anyone else have this issue?

I have an Irish/German farm wife body type, myself. ;-) I'm right in the "normal" BMI range at this point, but when I circle my wrist with my other hand, my fingers still don't touch, which supposedly means that you have a "large" frame--literally having big bones. Technically, for my height I could get down to 103 lbs and still be within the normal range, but my dietitian told me that she doesn't want me to go below 115 (which I weighed for about 5 minutes when I was 15 or 16 and a ballet dancer... um, don't think it's a concern)

I've been thinking about getting a DEXA or similar body composition scan to see what I have as far as body fat percentage, lean muscle mass, and bone mass. You may want to look into that so that you can get a more accurate idea of what is a reasonable weight for you.

My weight verses height standards are off as well. 19 years ago I lost down to the 135 that is suppose to be my ideal weight. I could maintain that if I didn't eat or want to move. I decided on this journey to shoot for 150, I am 47 years old and have shoulders like a linebacker. I want to be healthy but also realistic. Let's say my favorite jeans I worked hard to get back into are too big and I am mourning the loss, my Mom altered them so they fit correctly. I'm thrilled to get smaller but I hate trying to find jeans. My doctor tries not to concentrate on numbers so I am thankful for that. I gave him a list of what I wanted this surgery to accomplish other than a number. I made it through Walmart without sweating last week. SCORE!!!

We all have our different blessings to bear, don't we. I personally thing BMI charts are a bunch of hooey! If you're at a weight that is healthy for you and you feel great, more power to you!

Too funny!

I'm of German ancestry mostly and I have always said I look like a sturdy German milkmaid. I a probably medium boned (can't wear many types of bracelets due to larger wrists). I have always had a very solid layer of muscle under all this fat and have shocked the hell out of people about how strong I am. Like when I was helping my inlaws to move some furniture and was carrying a queen sized mattress (in the front) so fast I was told to slow down as my FIL couldn't keep up with me. :D

The doc said the same thing - my "ideal" weight was something like 135 and I busted out laughing so hard. I told him even in high school when I was not fat at all, I weighed right at 155, and the idea that I'd lose down to 135 at my age (early 40s) was ridiculous. I'm shooting for 175 and in being in killer shape.

I have an Irish/German farm wife body type, myself. ;-) I'm right in the "normal" BMI range at this point, but when I circle my wrist with my other hand, my fingers still don't touch, which supposedly means that you have a "large" frame--literally having big bones. Technically, for my height I could get down to 103 lbs and still be within the normal range, but my dietitian told me that she doesn't want me to go below 115 (which I weighed for about 5 minutes when I was 15 or 16 and a ballet dancer... um, don't think it's a concern)

I've been thinking about getting a DEXA or similar body composition scan to see what I have as far as body fat percentage, lean muscle mass, and bone mass. You may want to look into that so that you can get a more accurate idea of what is a reasonable weight for you.

Don't always believe the hand around the wrist thing or that broad shoulders means you have a larger frame. I thought for a long time that I must have massive bones and was just built big because my hands are nowhere near going around my wrist, but turns out I actually just have small hands(child size apparently) and as I'm losing weight this go around, I see that my bones that are showing up now aren't as big as I thought...just broad shoulders and short hands! ???? I have no idea why I weight heavier than my body looks, but I've officially ruled out the big bone theory.

I got down to midrange of bmi charts and not only did I feel crappy, but the ribs on my back protruded ugly. We are all built differently and I say make the most of what you were born with.

I am choosing to focus on bodyfat percentage. Mine is about 29percent right now, which is considered good for a 51 year old woman, but I want to get o 22-25percent range, regardless of the scale. I also use clothing size as a guide (vanity sizing is stupid, but it is still a guideline)

I look better as a 6-8on bottom and 8-10 on top than I did as a size 2 on the bottom. I looked so out of balance because my rib cage and shoulders stay a certain size no matter how thin I get.

However, fitness, working out helps. Skinny asses used to be considered a good thing, I am waiting for them to come back in style..Ha!

I personally think the BMI chart is a bunch of whoooey too! I currently weight 162 pounds. I am 5' 10" and as cowgirljane says your rib cage doesn't get smaller. You can see and feel my chest bones, you can certainly feel my spine, hip bones, shoulder bones and the like. Supposedly my BMI states I could weight as low as 124 pounds!! Are you freakin' kidding me?? I find I look nice and slim where I currently am oh and I wear a size 6 pant(some are loose on me) size small medium top. Still shooting to lose 2 more pounds but then that's it for me!!!!

I personally think the BMI chart is a bunch of whoooey too! I currently weight 162 pounds. I am 5' 10" and as cowgirljane says your rib cage doesn't get smaller. You can see and feel my chest bones, you can certainly feel my spine, hip bones, shoulder bones and the like. Supposedly my BMI states I could weight as low as 124 pounds!! Are you freakin' kidding me?? I find I look nice and slim where I currently am oh and I wear a size 6 pant(some are loose on me) size small medium top. Still shooting to lose 2 more pounds but then that's it for me!!!!

Can I ask what your starting weight was? I am your height and starting my approval process.

The BMI chart has been largely thrown out by medical professionals. The fact is you did this to feel and look good and be healthier. If you feel good, if your blood work comes back great... I'd say it's up to you what you should weight.

I have a friend with a large frame. At 5'8 at 150 you could count her ribs. She settled at 175 and looks beautiful. I bet you look great too and I very much doubt you look like a Russian beat farmer!!

1 am 177 now, and happy with that.

day of surgery

IMG_2313.jpg

aug 7th, at 180 lbs

now photo

You look really great!!!

I am FINALLY in the normal range for my height, but just barely. It goes from 118 to 145 for me. (I am 5'4"). Anyway, I personally think the BMI chart is outdated. I think you should have the scan done that measures fat and muscle. My husband is going through the same issues. He is 188 but BMI chart says 175 is what he should weigh to be considered normal. He is freaking skin and bone now! I can literally count his ribs! If you feel good, then you are good!

Can I just say that I'm loving all of the analogies! I'm a curvy gal too, always have been. I was the heavy girl who had big calves that were probably equal parts fat and muscle. People would ask me if I was a swimmer because of my broad shoulders. Yep.

The charts are frustrating. According to them I should be in the 114-144 range, when I view a healthy range the 150s. As for clothes, my pant waists are once again too large, but thanks to having child birthing hips, a saggy butt, and thick calves I need the larger sizes. So to get pants that actually fit I selected the 13/14 slim boots at Maurices. While my work pants from there are 11/12 and loose. While walking the stairs at work today I looked down at my thigh and thought how huge I am. Body dismorphia at it's finest right? While it might be time to size down, I quickly reminded myself that the 95 pounds lost tell me that I'm not the obese person I once was.

Keep at it ladies. Recognize what's healthy for you, and don't focus on what charts tell you.