Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kids to Mexico

I've posted once about my plan to have the surgery in mid February. My husband and I do not have family to care for our children so unless I go alone to have the surgery, they have to come with. They're 2 months and 25 months old. Has anyone taken their children with them? Experiences?

I would suggest dad stays home with the kids and you go to Mexico on your own. I did the same thing even with having older children. The other patients were very friendly and supportive so I didn't feel that alone at alone.

Were you scared to go alone?

No I have traveled before by myself. The 30 min before surgery maybe I wished I wasn't alone but after that all was good. You need to focus on you not the kids and with two very young children he won't be able to focus on you either. If you are scared to be alone ask a friend to join you.

No I have traveled before by myself. The 30 min before surgery maybe I wished I wasn't alone but after that all was good. You need to focus on you not the kids and with two very young children he won't be able to focus on you either. If you are scared to be alone ask a friend to join you.

Thank you. Really helps ease nerves. I think the fact that it's Mexico scares me. ????

With the company I used they picked me up in San Diego and drove us each time that was required for us to be somewhere. Nothing to be nervous of.

I just returned from TJ this week. No need to worry if you're working with the main groups. They run first class packages that take care of all of your needs so you can rest easy with Daddy at home with the kids. I used Tijuana Bariatrics and from landing in San Diego to my departure they were available and there for me 24/7. Even at the Marriott hotel the entire staff knew my nurse coordinator and had her on speed dial. These guys have it together. I promise you will also meet and bond with others in your group and you will spend a lot of time supporting each other.

I have a 6 month old baby and inquired about having her with us (and my husband ) but unfortunately the sanitary authorities don't allow children or babies in their hospitals. So the best they could offer me was 2 x 15 minute visits each day... that was a clinic. The Angeles hospital said no visits at all. So if you take your babies, your husband will basically sit in a hotel room with them and you will still be alone for the duration of the hospital stay... so we have decided it is easier for him to stay home and I go by myself. But there are so many patients around getting the same thing done that you tend to make friends there during your stay.

I have a 6 month old baby and inquired about having her with us (and my husband ) but unfortunately the sanitary authorities don't allow children or babies in their hospitals. So the best they could offer me was 2 x 15 minute visits each day... that was a clinic. The Angeles hospital said no visits at all. So if you take your babies, your husband will basically sit in a hotel room with them and you will still be alone for the duration of the hospital stay... so we have decided it is easier for him to stay home and I go by myself. But there are so many patients around getting the same thing done that you tend to make friends there during your stay.

for sanitation issues. That doesn't sound right. If

Maybe I need to re think having surgery somewhere that worries themselves with a newborn being in my hospital room.

This was from Clinica San Juan (I am seeing Dr Ramos Kelly)

"The sanitary authorities in Mexico do not let us babies in the hospital, and for this, we cannot let one baby in the room, please, I ask you that understand it. But, considering the request of the patient, we can to let her, 15 minutes of visit in the morning and 15 minutes of visit in the afternoon only, NO MORE TIME PLEASE."

And from Angeles Hospital:

"Each room is private, with a daybed to accomodate your husband, if he is able to come with you. Infants and children are not allowed to stay with, or visit, during your stay. It is only 2 nights, and you may fly in on the same day as your surgery, as long as your flight is in by 10am."

This was from Clinica San Juan (I am seeing Dr Ramos Kelly)

"The sanitary authorities in Mexico do not let us babies in the hospital, and for this, we cannot let one baby in the room, please, I ask you that understand it. But, considering the request of the patient, we can to let her, 15 minutes of visit in the morning and 15 minutes of visit in the afternoon only, NO MORE TIME PLEASE."

And from Angeles Hospital:

"Each room is private, with a daybed to accomodate your husband, if he is able to come with you. Infants and children are not allowed to stay with, or visit, during your stay. It is only 2 nights, and you may fly in on the same day as your surgery, as long as your flight is in by 10am."

They dont allow US kids in the room but they will take US currency. Lol. Interesting. I asked my coordinator and he said it wouldn't be a problem. I'm supposed to have mine at florence. I guess I better ask again.

Edited by ANewMe16

Yes double check with the actual hospital because my patient care coordinator said it shouldn't be a problem at all but apparently he was wrong!

As a nurse, kids are germ carriers. Even though they may act well doesn't mean they aren't carrying something. Its the same reason we ban kids under 12 (except healthy siblings after delivery) from our labor and delivery floor during flu/rsv season and anyone under 16 from the NICU- including siblings. I'd say leave the kiddos and dad at home. You either won't be able to or won't feel like picking up either kiddo directly post surgery and that will make them more upset.

I had my surgery in the US, but I didn’t have my kids come visit anyway. I was tired, in pain, and grouchy. I wasn’t in the mood for visitors, especially little kids. Dad should stay home with the kids and you go alone, honestly you need the time to heal.