Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Horrid Rejection!

Hey!!..Soooooooo I came to a devastating conclusion!! I no longer can eat meat!!..I've tried every form of meat and my body eventually rejects it. I am 2 Months Post Op and I need all the natural Protein I can get..but my body rejects it..is anyone else experiencing this?????? ????????????

It is difficult to eat meat after surgery. Keep trying and eventually you should be able to consume it again. Here are some tips. A can of tuna fish in the beginning. If you want chicken, you must cook it until soft. For example take a chicken breast, add a bouillon cube into a pot with some Water and place on low heat for a couple hours. When the chicken reaches the point where it comes readily apart with a fork, then it is soft enough to eat.

Chili is a good way to start hamburger meat. It goes down much easier and also chili contains Beans that are high in Protein.

2 months post-op RNY is generally the point when you start solids. So the transitions to solids is often a little difficult in the beginning.

It is difficult to eat meat after surgery. Keep trying and eventually you should be able to consume it again. Here are some tips. A can of tuna fish in the beginning. If you want chicken, you must cook it until soft. For example take a chicken breast, add a bouillon cube into a pot with some Water and place on low heat for a couple hours. When the chicken reaches the point where it comes readily apart with a fork, then it is soft enough to eat.

Chili is a good way to start hamburger meat. It goes down much easier and also chili contains Beans that are high in Protein.

2 months post-op RNY is generally the point when you start solids. So the transitions to solids is often a little difficult in the beginning.

I'm a very finicky eater..so no type of fish for me....but I've tried chicken multiple times in different ways and my body still rejects it..I've also tried ground meats (Beef, Chicken &Turkey)..I can eat them SOMETIMES..but not too much though.. I've been eating solid foods for almost a month now and I can eat all the fruit and veggies I want..but when it comes to Starches and Meats..my stomach rejects it horribly

For the first year or so after surgery, your body is still undergoing changes. For example right after surgery I became lactose intolerant. So I could not rely on milk for my Protein. But after a couple months, my body changed and I no longer was lactose intolerant. So just keep trying and trying and much of what you ate before surgery will come back, but it may take a year or two. I am 32 months post op RNY, and I can now tolerate almost everything that I ate before surgery.

I've been eating solid foods for almost a month now and I can eat all the fruit and veggies I want..but when it comes to Starches and meats..my stomach rejects it horribly

Nothing wrong with incorporating high Protein veggies into your diet if your stomach can handle it. Obviously meat works best to hit your Protein goals because it is so calorie/protein dense... thus you're getting more bang for your buck volume wise. However, it is possible to get lots of protein from a plant based diet, but with our limited capacity it requires some grazing. Grazing can be an issue if you aren't very careful about what you graze on... weight can easily pile back on down the road if you choose the wrong foods.

I would say keep trying each week. In the beginning my body rejected everything but chicken and fish and that had to be chewed to almost nothing. Now, I can eat most meats although when eating steak it needs to be tenderloin and the same is true of pork.

I still struggle some days with ground beef.

It is important to realize meat is dense so even now I can barely get 2 to 3 ounces max in during 1 meal. The thing is, if fills me up and keeps me full for many hours.

Don't give up.

I am sorry but that seems much to early to be eating meat. Most people I know say 6 months for chicken. And honestly the first 3 months it is fine to get your Protein from shakes if meat does not work. Do not force it, it is rejecting it for a reason. There are so many options to get you through the first 6 months. there is no reason that you NEED meat, yes you NEED protein but it does not have to be from meat.

I just had my two week follow up and was advanced to soft foods INCLUDING moist meats. Every dr has a different plan they like their patients to follow.

I know I've seen some people mention trying meats with gravy. And then of course making sure to chew to oblivion and really really tiny pieces.

I am sorry but that seems much to early to be eating meat. Most people I know say 6 months for chicken. And honestly the first 3 months it is fine to get your Protein from shakes if meat does not work. Do not force it, it is rejecting it for a reason. There are so many options to get you through the first 6 months. there is no reason that you NEED meat, yes you NEED Protein but it does not have to be from meat.

I'm going by the Stages and it allows me to eat chicken and tuna..Anything soft or something I can chew until it's softened, but since I don't eat fish..i was stuck with Chicken..but my body rejects it for now..hopefully it's only temporary...and I know I don't NEED meat for a protein..but when you're a picky eater there isn't much to substitute it with..and the food I do substitute it with..it becomes tiring to eat.

chicken is the most difficult to digest don't give up on it yet. Maybe later

I am beyond picky (I only eat turkey chicken and fish) but in the beginning I made tofu with taco seasoning to taste like chicken. That helped me.

It will get better