Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my sleeve done on Jan 9th. I know it's only 3 days out but just looking for a little support.

The first two nights I spent at the hospital. Each morning I woke up feeling great. I believe this had a lot to do with me being on an IV and staying hydrated.

On the first day I felt good till about noon and had a roller coaster rest of the day. Felt good then terrible then great then awful.

Yesterday I woke up again feeling great. Did the leak test and drank apple juice. Got the drain out and was released to the hotel. By about 5:00 pm I started feeling shakes. I couldn't stomach the broth. Tasted way too salty although my mom tasted it and said it was very salty at all. Every odd smell makes my stomach turn.

Woke up this morning feeling pretty crappy. I think a big part was not getting hydrated throughout the night. Had some Water and apple juice and feeling a bit better, but still very shaky.

Not suppose to have anything but juice water broth and tea for the first ten days. Problem is I can't stomach the broth or tea.

I fly home tomorrow and pretty nervous about that.

Any advice or support you could offer would be great! Thanks so much!

Are you allowed sugar-free Jello or popsicles? I was allowed both of those during my Clear liquids phase and they helped a little.

For the flight home, DO NOT hesitate to ask strangers for help with your bags and whatnot. People are generally really really nice. You'll be surprised. Make sure you get up and walk on the plane as well. Don't sit still for more than about 2 hours at a time. The flight attendance will give you separate cups of Water and apple juice so you can mix them together if you ask (I was supposed to drink 1/2 juice and 1/2 Water, not sure if your plan is the same).

Just take it as easy as possible. Ask for help when you need it. Walk around when you can. You will be okay.

The first few days are ROUGH for most of us. My only real tip is to walk in place while you are sipping. For some reason that made it a little easier for me to get my fluids in.

Before you leave consult your surgeon for options. I was allowed Popsicles and other items.

I hope it gets better for you. Also try the boullion cubes.

You aren't allowed anything but juice, Water, broth, or tea for the first ten days? How are you getting in your Protein?

Bone Broth does have some Protein, but you need to find ways to up your protein. Can you drink Isopure, Syntrax nectar, ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates or other clear protein supplements?

sugar-free Popsicles, sugar-free Jello, and even crushed ice are also clear and can help you stay hydrated.

If you find that the broth tastes too salty you may need to dilute it.

Just keep sipping. You will feel weak until you are able to get in your Water and protein.

Sip, sip, sip, and walk, walk, walk. It's a full time job for the next few days but will go a long way to helping you recover.

@marcci I know it seems so overwhelming right now ... but that is key to remember ... its just right now ...

as the next few days pass and you learn what your new sleeve will and will not let you do ... you will feel better ... you will gain back energy slowly .. and you will love the new person you're becoming ...

I do agree with others .. you need to get in your Protein ... that will be such a huge difference in how you are feeling ...

Trust us ... :)

Best of luck to you and have a safe trip home!

sounds weird but take a LONG warm (Not hot) shower. You can get some hydration through your skin. it won't fix but, it will help.

Thank you all for the support. I know Protein is key, and I did buy unflavored Protein powder before I left, so my plan was to add that to as much as I could to sneak more Protein in. I am allowed sugar free popsicles, and will be going out to buy some today. So far I find Water and ice chips the easiest to manage, so I think sucking on something cold will help. I've added MIO energy to my Water, but also needed to dilute it a ton because I found the flavor too overwhelming, so probably getting very little electrolytes in. My coordinator said I could have gatorade and Vitamin water too, so will go grab one today and try that. I'm glad water is going down easy as I've read others have felt nauseous from it. My concern is I am finding most other flavors awful. Worst of all is the smells. Honestly, even the smell of my sweatshirt that was in my suitcase from traveling makes me want to gag and I washed it right before I left.

I totally understand this is a process and by no means did I expect to be doing cartwheels by the third day out, just needed some extra support. I know the next month is going to be a rollercoaster of highs and lows, just hoping the lows are fewer and fewer as the days go on.
Thank you again!

just hoping the lows are fewer and fewer as the days go on.

They will be. It really does get markedly better on a daily basis. Just have to tough it out these first few weeks and you will be feeling much better. Then a few months out you will be feeling WAY better than that even. Hang in there.

Marcci,

I understand how you're feeling. I love chocolate and can't think of putting it in my mouth right now. Smells are all over the place for me as well. I had breathing issues before I left the hospital but everything is fine now (surgery was 1/6). I still can only drink vanilla and eat Greek yogurt. I don't know if you can find this - Chloe's Bars - has 60 cals, fine sugar and non-dairy, gluten free tastes great.

Soup is not working for me as too salty - even the low sodium

hope you feel better soon and hug yourself! We all need hugs

My coordinator gave me one of those Isopure Protein Drinks from GNC and already I can tell it's making a huge difference. I think this is the first decent amount of Protein I've had in four days. I know still not nearly enough but it's a good start. I pushed my flight back to Friday just so I have a couple extra days to recover before dealing with a long travel day.

My coordinator gave me one of those Isopure Protein drinks from GNC and already I can tell it's making a huge difference. I think this is the first decent amount of Protein I've had in four days. I know still not nearly enough but it's a good start. I pushed my flight back to Friday just so I have a couple extra days to recover before dealing with a long travel day.

Good to hear! Take care of yourself!