Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lump in throat. Uncomfortable!

I'm 1 week post op today! Yay. Down 14 pounds as of this morning which is huge for me. I'm 2 pounds away from my first goal of 250.

So far it's been smooth sailing except the last 2 days I have this cramping, twisting feeling, in my stomach. It's almost like when you're so hungry it hurts.

Now it's accompanied by a feeling of a lump in my throat.

I am still only on Water and Protein shakes, so nothing large going down. Actually I did take the tiniest tiniest piece of scrambled egg. It was more for the sense of chewing than anything so it didn't make it past my back teeth by the time I chewed it. It was the size of a pencil eraser, seriously.

I drank 3 ounces of the shake about 3 hours ago. I just drank a little Water and it's holding down, so not sure what it could be. But it's uncomfortable and the stomach cramp feeling comes and goes. It happens, then is gone.

The only difference I noticed today is that I drank some water as normal and it hurt. My stomach and chest instantly cramped up similar to the day after surgery where it hurts to swallow.

Any ideas what it could be? Anything to look out for?

Yes, I know I should call my surgeon, but of course hearing it from those who have been there is always very helpful.

It hasn't happened to me, but sometimes when people describe these symptoms, it turns out to be just their stomach and esophagus adjusting to the "new normal" and healing after surgery. However, I have also seen people describe these symptoms and it turns out they have a stricture -- basically that their stomach is kind of twisted up by the esophagus, making it difficult and painful to swallow/get something into the stomach. If I had the symptoms you are describing, I would probably be in contact with my surgeon and see if he thought that was something worth exploring, or maybe whether it was just normal healing or some other issue.

If it is a stricture, I know several people who have had them and they are fixed with a dilation procedure, not surgically. Good luck!

I called my surgeons office and she said it does sound like my stomach adjusting. that I probably drank too fast too fast so the sleeve hasn't adjusted to what I put in it.

I'd still like to hear others experiences because as of right now I'm afraid to drink because I feel like it will make me sick. I don't feel sick but with the lump in my throat I don't want to push it. I am however feeling very thirsty since the lump started...

The lump is still there.

I went to the bathroom thinking maybe I was just backed up. Didn't work.

If I drink I almost automatically need to burp.

My stomach is doing the uncomfortable feeling more often with each drink, all the nurse says is to wait until they see me in a week unless I'm violently ill or in terrible pain.

I had this same issues. It lasted about 2.5 weeks. I'm a month out and don't really have the issue anymore. Sometimes in the early mornings when I drink Water I may get a spasm but after that I'm fine.

Good luck.