Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What percentage of people gain the weight back ?

I was told people gain all the weight and than some back. I dont understand how that can be with a stomach 3 times smaller

first...who told you that? It was probably someone who doesn't know much about the surgery

second...whether you gain or loose weight is all up to YOU and how well you stick to your program.

Yes, people can gain all their weight back. I see it all the time.

The amount you can eat now won't be the amount you will be able to eat a year or two or five down the road.

Some post ops can eat the equivalent of a small dinner plate of food years down the road. Why that happens is debatable, but it naturally happens with time. So a small dinner plate of high calorie fried food and mashed potatoes and gravy will have the same effect post op as it did pre op...weight gain.

Grazing and drinking our calories is also a culprit of weight gain. Sure we may not be able to eat a lot in one sitting, but how easy is it to gulp down those 400 calorie coffees from Starbucks or eat a bag of chips through out the day? Heck, if you gave me enough time, I could probably polish off a whole pizza in a day ;)

If you believed that to be the case why did you have surgery? I do not think the smaller stomach will allow the person to get back to their original weight, but that does not mean the person cannot regain much of what they lost. As previously stated by other members it is not a failure of the surgery, but the person.

If you believed that to be the case why did you have surgery? I do not think the smaller stomach will allow the person to get back to their original weight, but that does not mean the person cannot regain much of what they lost. As previously stated by other members it is not a failure of the surgery, but the person.

some truth right here ^^^.

I know for me, I went into this thinking that surgery would both help me lose weight now - but also buy me time to re learn how to eat and live more healthfully. As many have said, in the first year, everyone loses -- even eating cheeseburgers. It's the years that follow that decide our long term fate. We've got to learn permanent changes. The surgery gives a second chance at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a tool not a miracle.

If people misuse it, they will gain over time.

I have no wish to do that.

But then, I am perfect hahahahahahaha

(Just put that there in case I gain, then you can all shout at me lol)

Those of you who think people can't possibly gain all their weight back because thier stomachs are smaller are either in denial or are woefully misinformed. Or both. I mean, how many in this forum alone know someone who gained all their weight back after WLS?

*Raises hand*

It's a tool not a miracle.

If people misuse it, they will gain over time.

I have no wish to do that.

But then, I am perfect hahahahahahaha

(Just put that there in case I gain, then you can all shout at me lol)

I personally do not know of anyone, but I would like to imagine it is not that common. People have been having WLS for decades. If it were common place for people to gain back all their weight and then so I really do not think insurance companies, surgeons, the medical field, and not to mention us would embark on such a venture. The original poster wanted to know how common it is and I still think it is pretty uncommon. Now unless you present some research I am sticking to my guns.

I'm looking at the OP's posted stats, and I am pretty surprised that someone with a starting weight of 185 and a goal weight of 150 got sleeve surgery in the first place... Is there something I'm missing here?

I'm looking at the OP's posted stats, and I am pretty surprised that someone with a starting weight of 185 and a goal weight of 150 got sleeve surgery in the first place... Is there something I'm missing here?

Yes you are missing something. It was only approved because I had the lapband and it had slipped, its call revision surgery.

Those of you who think people can't possibly gain all their weight back because thier stomachs are smaller are either in denial or are woefully misinformed. Or both. I mean, how many in this forum alone know someone who gained all their weight back after WLS?

*Raises hand*

I know several so I am raising my hand. It's all up to you.

I personally do not know of anyone, but I would like to imagine it is not that common. People have been having WLS for decades. If it were common place for people to gain back all their weight and then so I really do not think insurance companies, surgeons, the medical field, and not to mention us would embark on such a venture. The original poster wanted to know how common it is and I still think it is pretty uncommon. Now unless you present some research I am sticking to my guns.

Oh, boy, does regain happen. The "long-term" research on WLS reveals that three to five years after WLS half of the people who had WLS are "successful" -- and that's defined as having regained no more than half of the weight they lost.

That means half of the people who have WLS in three to five years post-op have regained MORE than half of the weight they lost. Obviously, some of those have regained all (or even more) of the weight they lost.

So that's why we hear over and over and over again from our surgeons, at support groups and on online forums aphorisms like these:

* WLS is only a tool - you have to build other tools to be successful long-term.

* They operate on your stomach, not on your head.

* Losing weight in the first 6-12 months is easy for almost everyone. After that, if you haven't built new eating / exercise habits and lifestyles you will very likely be struggling again with food and weight issues.

Of course, some people are very successful -- and some of them are long-term members of this forum. They have dealt with their eating and weight-gaining issues. They are disciplined. They've built new lifestyles that support normal weight and good health. Many of them are people some newbies make fun of for being "so rigid."

;)

Understood now. I am familiar with revision surgery.

When I met with my PCM last month we had this conversation. She said that she see so many patients that had wls and has gained the weight back. So yes it is definitely possible as @@Babbs has stated.