Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor didn't put me on a pre op diet. He told me to start clear diet two days before procedure. This makes me nervous. ???? my procedure is 1/18/16. Has anyone had the same experience?

Yup, no pre-op diet either. My surgery was on Monday, so Saturday and Sunday was nothing but clears. And nothing after midnight on Sunday except for the nausea meds 2 hours before surgery.

Edited by twittymilk

Every doctors pre-op is different. My pre-op diet was 4 shakes a day (2 with milk & 2 with another liquid) if I mixed them with Water I could have 5. I could also eat 6 servings of s/f pudding, s/f Jello, unflavored applesauce, 1 cup raw veggie, oatmeal and yogurt a day. The day before surgery I can eat normal till 4 pm, then I have to drink 32oz mirlax over 4 hrs starting at 5 pm. That's the only thing that doesn't sound pleasant.. I think I'd rather have the 2 day clear liquid diet.

The plus... I've lost 11 lbs on my 2 week pre-op

Edited by cindyw41

I kinda want to cut back on eating a wk before even though I was advised to do a two day liquid diet. This fatty liver business frightens me. I would hate to be opened up and sewed back up because the surgeon couldn't operate.

Just keep in mind too few calories can be just as bad. I'm getting 800-1000 cal a day with about 100 grams of Protein

Edited by cindyw41

Ok. How was your diet before the liquid diet? Did you have any food funeral?

No food funeral. After surgery especially further out you will be able to eat all the same foods you did before. Question is do you still want to keep eating the same things?

I'm a big advocate for trusting that your surgeon (and medical team) knows how best to prepare their own patients for surgery and get them through the aftermath as well. Surgeons tend to vary from each other and I think you'll get exhausted if you conduct an internet referendum every time your team does something a little different from what you may have read about online. You trust this person to cut open your body cavity and perform major surgery on one of the most important organs of your body, so I say trust them that they know how their patients should prepare for it. Good luck in your surgery!

I am being sleeved on the 9th February my Dr also has not said anything about dieting or even loosing or trying to loose weight before the operation.

I am worried to.. I don't want to be stitched up and nothing done

I have decided to cut out carbs or most carbs like Pasta rice and bread. Only have a couple of glasses of wine on the weekends and eat fruit instead of chocolate. Starting tomorrow! Yes I have promised myself tomorrow.,

He has told me 3 days before to have the Protein Drinks and a small meal once a day. I think it's odd but I am going to call his clinic tomorrow as I need to know exactly what I have to do.

Good luck on the 18th ...

I am scheduled to have my surgery on Feb. 1 and my doctor has me doing a liquid diet only for 3 weeks. 4 shakes a day and if still hungry can eat raw plan veggies such as carrots, celery, cucumber, onion or peppers. It seems a bit excessive to me but I will do what I'm told.