Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

763 day streak.....I guess that is enough

My Fitness Pal has been great. I have logged my food and exercise routines for 763 days straight. But enough is enough. Time to let it go.

I pretty much know "what" and "how much" I can eat and how much exercise it takes to keep things in check. Believe me, it's no picnic after you reach goal. Deviate any little bit and the weight pops back on like a compressed sponge.

The hunger is back, the cravings are back......My guess is the ghrelin hormone is probably back in full production too. And the ole sleeve is easily capable of stretching past that post surgery luxury of only 3 ounces. All which makes maintenance an increased challenge.

But on the plus side.....and it's a big plus......I LOST IT ALL!!!!! I REACHED GOAL!!!! I feel good and look great. So there is no way I'm letting obesity creep back on me ever again.

Yeah, I monitored things closely for 763 days.......and it helped tremendously. But I got it now. I eat things here and there that are either too sweet, too many calories, or too much at once. But it keeps me from going nuts.

I use my clothes as my "scale". If I feel them even slightly tighter, I increase the exercise. watch the portions closer and eliminate any extra junk stuff until things fit correctly. I can handle a few pounds.....I know how to now and can control it.

The surprise is I thought that once I reached goal, I would be able to eat alot more daily calories in maintenance without gaining. Hasn't worked out that way. And none of the charts that indicate what I should be able to have daily are even in the ball park. Same applies to how much weight you're expected to lose eating a specific amount or when you burn so many calories during exercise. Guess that's why I was always obese. Typical charts and functions never applied to me.

So, get ready. When you get to maintenance, if you're anything like me, you ignore all the charts and tables and have used the time to figure out your own body's needs and functions. Develop you own diets and exercise plans......and realize you will have to strictly adhere to them the rest of your life. And you will stick to it because it is sooo worth it.

So goodbye MFP.......I don't need you anymore. (I will still check things on it from time to time) It's time to get on with my new normal....... I got this. . ;)

Well done! I am "only" 11 months post op, but I track about two weeks out of every month now. My eating habits and exercise have become so routine that I pretty much input the same things from day to day.

Thanks for the info regarding the diligence necessary in maintenance.

^^^^ What an AWESOME post. Good for you @@Recycled .

I agree with you so much about the need to learn what your own body wants / needs / likes. Like you, My Fitness Pal has been an awesome tool for me. I'm not as far out as you -- was sleeved August 2014, but was using MFP 2.5 months prior to surgery.

My shrink has urged me for a long time to break the tie to MFP at least occasionally to trust myself to eat instinctually and "normally." Yeah, right, I've said. But I no longer use MFP when I'm traveling for biz or pleasure. And guess what -- I don't gain weight. :)

Some recent NSVs:

* I now trust myself to eat anything and everything -- but I no longer overeat.

* I just went on a 2.5 week cruise and didn't gain any weight at all. None!

* This is the first January of my life when I didn't have a "lose weight" new year's resolution.

* I still follow the rules most of the time -- eat Protein, then veggies, fruits, whole grains, drink lots of Water, don't graze, stop eating when I'm satiated (not stuffed), say no to food I don't need or want, take my meds, Vitamins, minerals and supplements daily, do my exercise (walking, stretching, yoga), get good sleep, don't sweat the small stuff.

I think WLS is a freakin' miracle!

But there sure isn't a finish line.

I've been logging everything I eat since probably the 80's (the first several years on paper - now electronically). I don't trust myself *at all*. I wish I could - it'd be great to be able to be able to eat like a normal person for once!

* This is the first January of my life when I didn't have a "lose weight" new year's resolution.

I think WLS is a freakin' miracle!

But there sure isn't a finish line.

I totally agree........Everytime I see a reflection in a door or mirror, it makes me smile. I just can't believe it. Shame I had to get this old to get wiser. ;)

Great post!

My NUT had me break free from tracking around 4 months post op. It was scary,I Do NOT recommend it for everyone, but she knew I had been tracking calories since I was in 3rd grade and was closely tied to my "cycle of failure".

I still track for a few days at a time and what I usually learn is that I am not hitting my (rather high) Protein targets....arggghhh. everytime I start hitting that 80-100g protein....hmmmm...hunger decreases, weight returns to goal. Coincidence? :)

Anyway, you are awesome!!!

Yeah...I remember how scary it was for me to stop using MFP but I also knew that I had the info I needed to continue to make the right choices. I must admit though that at home, I still weigh my food. My concern is that I'll increase the amount little by little and I have to be careful not to do that. I'm not so crazy as to weigh when I'm out to dinner or with others in a social situation but at home...yup...I weigh.

Congratulations! I have a 316 day streak. My longest one yet! I am really proud of myself for that. I think its mighty brave of you to stop logging your food and exercise on a daily basis. I don't think I will ever be at that point because every time I eat, drink and exercise I think about the fact that I am accountable for it and there will be a record of it for me to re-examination when I falter.

Congratulations! I have a 316 day streak. My longest one yet! I am really proud of myself for that. I think its mighty brave of you to stop logging your food and exercise on a daily basis. I don't think I will ever be at that point because every time I eat, drink and exercise I think about the fact that I am accountable for it and there will be a record of it for me to re-examination when I falter.

It may not feel that way yet, but there will come a time when you will realize that your lifestyle routines have become your new "normal" and there is no longer a need to write it down to maintain accountability. ;)

THAT is freaking unbelievable!!! The definition of having your eating under control.

Yay!!! That's awesome, congrats!

I broke my dependence on MFP at about 15 months out (3 months at goal) as well, and now use it maybe a couple days out of every month to just "check in." Ditto the scale and I was a 5 times a day checker! Never thought that would happen.

There is definitely no finish line, no bells, no confetti at goal. It's lifelong maintenance now.

I am lucky, I maintain on a lot of calories (part of it is my running/yoga and muscle mass, but part is just damn luck!). But it definitely takes a while to figure out where the sweet spot is!

THAT is freaking unbelievable!!! The definition of having your eating under control.

I know! It's awesome, isn't it!?

Seriously, two years ago I'd never, ever, ever have imagined I could do that.

And the best thing is that, as much of a My Fitness Pal, no starchy carbs WLS-Nazi as I was while losing weight and maintaining my weight at home, I didn't track my food at all. I just ate "intuitively" or "mindfully" on the cruise. I ate what I wanted. I didn't overeat. I didn't eat between meals. And I didn't eat even close to everything that was available.

I just ate (freaks me out to say this) like a normal, healthy person.

Yes, I credit my sleeve to a great extent. But I also credit my new, healthy, grooved-in habits I've been building for a year and a half.

My Fitness Pal has been great. I have logged my food and exercise routines for 763 days straight. But enough is enough. Time to let it go.

I pretty much know "what" and "how much" I can eat and how much exercise it takes to keep things in check. Believe me, it's no picnic after you reach goal. Deviate any little bit and the weight pops back on like a compressed sponge.

The hunger is back, the cravings are back......My guess is the ghrelin hormone is probably back in full production too. And the ole sleeve is easily capable of stretching past that post surgery luxury of only 3 ounces. All which makes maintenance an increased challenge.

But on the plus side.....and it's a big plus......I LOST IT ALL!!!!! I REACHED GOAL!!!! I feel good and look great. So there is no way I'm letting obesity creep back on me ever again.

Yeah, I monitored things closely for 763 days.......and it helped tremendously. But I got it now. I eat things here and there that are either too sweet, too many calories, or too much at once. But it keeps me from going nuts.

I use my clothes as my "scale". If I feel them even slightly tighter, I increase the exercise. watch the portions closer and eliminate any extra junk stuff until things fit correctly. I can handle a few pounds.....I know how to now and can control it.

The surprise is I thought that once I reached goal, I would be able to each alot more daily calories in maintenance without gaining. Hasn't worked out that way. And none of the charts that indicate what I should be able to have daily are even in the ball park. Same applies to how much weight you're expected to lose eating a specific amount or when you burn so many calories during exercise. Guess that's why I was always obese. Typical charts and functions never applied to me.

So, get ready. When you get to maintenance, if you're anything like me, you ignore all the charts and tables and have used the time to figure out your own body's needs and functions. Develop you own diets and exercise plans......and realize you will have to strictly adhere to them the rest of your life. And you will stick to it because it is sooo worth it.

So goodbye MFP.......I don't need you anymore. (I will still check things on it from time to time) It's time to get on with my new normal....... I got this. . ;)

That is outstanding! Quite an inspiration! Thanks for the post.