Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just beginning the journey

Hi! I'm brand new and just went to the introduction seminar a few days ago. Sounds like the gastric sleeve is the best option for me.just want to meet others who have had or are going to have the surgery. I'm nervous but also excited!

Hello hru Rubytink, I am having my surgery on Wednesday morning I'm so excited to b nervous right now I've been excited since I found out that my insurance was approved...nice meeting you may I ask where are u from

Hi! Thanks for the welcome! In response to where I'm from, I live in Minnesota. How about you?

One of my challenges right now is that my friends and family don't seem to think I need the surgery. I'm on the "smaller" side of severely obese, and although I certainly look quite heavy, I tend to carry my excess weight "better" than average. I have a fairly long face with a more angular jaw and normal sized ankles, hands, neck. But when I try just eating healthier, I have to work so hard for such small results, and feel hungry all the time, and crave sugar often. I've heard the surgery can be very helpful for that. My husband thinks the surgery seems so extreme, but I just want to be healthy. I weigh about 235, and am 5 ft 4 and a half inches with high blood pressure (managed by meds), pre diabetes, and severe osteoarthritis in my knees. My bad cholesterol is within the normal range; my good cholesterol is a little low. I'm 51, and going through peri menopause. Besides that stuff and allergies and an occasional Migraine, I'm in good health.

Hi Rubytink and Nerdyscared1, my name is Ronnie. I just went to an info meeting on Fri on health groups/classes and opts including surgeries. And by chance I was able to meet with a Dr right after! I was super surprised they had an opening right then. What are the chances?

I've been researching and waiting for the time to be able to have the vsg for several years. I'm going to try starting a YouTube vlog. It's good to have somewhere to speak your mind and I need a lot of support. One of the big concerns from the doc is that I don't have much support; just my hubby and mom. I'm not telling anyone else in my family. They have never been supportive of me. My good friends are counted on one hand.

Anywho, lets KIT.

I'm going to be 29 years old in February. I am about to give birth to my fourth baby, having had the last 3 back to back. I've been over 200 pounds for at least 8 years, but generally overweight all my life: edema, pre diabetic w/ gestational diabetes ,with these last three babies. Have an enlarged liver and spleen, injuries at work five years ago that have caused both shoulders to have

problems and I have weight restrictions now along with PTSD, depression, anxiety, etc. I had shoulder surgery in January then knee surgery in February. The knee has been an issue since 2002 when I had the first knee surgery. I have high cholesterol / triglyceride, low good cholesterol of course. I suffer from chronic back pain since 2009 when I was rear ended. I also have circulation issues in my legs. I get Migraines.< /p>

Currently, I'm due with baby #4 on Jan 15th. My wt is 250 lbs, at 5'5" and I've been in xl - 3xl maternity clothing for the last 3 years.

Anywho, all this was to say that your best friend should be your spouse. If he doesn't support you know, you should really talk to your spouse about why he's not on board and get him to go with you to all the information Meeting and doctors appointments that he can make it too so that he can understand why you want this .

Sorry, I'm going off on tangents. The end.

I'm in Indiana - I am also 5'4 - my BMI is well over 50 - I don't carry my weight well at all!

When you start your channel please let us know your name so I can find it/ I have been devouring those videos - learning everything I can - I even watched a short version of the surgery--

Greetings... I'm just starting my first month of my journey. I have to show 6 months of trying to lose weight before my insurance will entertain paying for the sleeve operation. My Dr. Said I have to lose at least 20 lbs by June. I am 5' 4" 279lbs with high blood pressure and pre diabetic. I'm looking forward to the journey and a more healthy lifestyle.

I'm in Indiana - I am also 5'4 - my BMI is well over 50 - I don't carry my weight well at all!

When you start your channel please let us know your name so I can find it/ I have been devouring those videos - learning everything I can - I even watched a short version of the surgery--

Hey, I just uploaded my 1st vlog. Stumbled and Bumble to the whole thing but i think you can probably see it now. It should be under Ronnie Rab. I have been looking at all the VST YouTube videos I can get my hands on and I kind of like the videos were they're actually doing the surgery so that I know exactly what they're going to be doing inside of me. I am fascinated by those kind of things so I totally understand where you're coming from.

Greetings... I'm just starting my first month of my journey. I have to show 6 months of trying to lose weight before my insurance will entertain paying for the sleeve operation. My Dr. Said I have to lose at least 20 lbs by June. I am 5' 4" 279lbs with high blood pressure and pre diabetic. I'm looking forward to the journey and a more healthy lifestyle.

Hey I know Insurance can be very difficult to deal with. I had Blue Shield before I switched over to call Kaiser at the first of the year. I had to show a full year and several other things as proof for Blue Shield to even think about considering any of it. Just keep working at it and you will get through. I highly recommend documenting everything is well. Not only for yourself but just in case something stupid happens with the insurance.

From the best of my understanding my insurance requires the 6 months supervised diet, I don't know how many pounds if any they require you to lose, as much as I hate the thought of waiting 6 more months...(I'm one of those people that when I decide upon something I want it now) I will be using those 6 months to work on increasing my Water intake, stop smoking and give up carbonation. I will know after today, 1pm is the seminar- so excited !

Hubby and I had a long talk last night, and what started out as him being pretty much closed to the idea (some of it being due to cost, our insurance pays 80%, but that still leaves us with the other 20%, and the cost here in MN is between 20 - 23 thousand, so that means between 4000 to around 4500 for us, which is a big deal since I'm a stay at home homeschooling mom, so we live on one modest income, and already have about 10K in medical debt for hubby, kids, and me combined), but he also thinks it's such a drastic change, and that I won't ever be able to make family dinners or enjoy normal food again. My understanding is that after the first few months, you can eat most regular food, but in much smaller portions, and have to make changes like not eating and drinking @ the same time, no caffeine, no carbonated drinks, and mostly all healthy food. I shared some of the stats and articles with him about how much more likely you are to loose and keep weight off with the surgery than without if you are severely obese (I'm guessing this is even more true for me being a woman in my 50s with all the hormonal stuff). He's still not 100% there, but he's willing to find out more and to come with me to an appointment with a nurse after I get that health packet filled out. That's sure a long form! Guess they want to be thorough and make sure you're really committed!

In the meantime, last week I started working on drinking a minimum of 64 oz a day of plain Water (wasn't drinking any before, so I figure 64 oz is a good start). Exercise has been a challenge cuz of my knees. Even walking for 30 minutes was causing pain. Yesterday, though, a friend blessed me with a recumbent bike. I did 30 mins yesterday and today. It was tough cuz I am not in good shape and haven't exercised at all for a couple months, but I'm so happy that it didn't hurt my knees @ all. My legs and butt muscles are a little sore, but I know that will get better as I get used to exercising. For right now, that's really all I'm doing, but I figure it's a start. I know both those things will be important after surgery, so I'm trying to start now, so there won't be as many completely new things that are hard hitting me all @ once after the operation.

Hi! I'm brand new and just went to the introduction seminar a few days ago. Sounds like the gastric sleeve is the best option for me.just want to meet others who have had or are going to have the surgery. I'm nervous but also excited!

Hi Ruby,

I'm Peter member of BariatricPal Team MX,

You can join our group and see how has been our members experience with Bariatricpal, let me share the link so you can take a look at other sleevers experience has been. www.facebook.com/groups/BariatricSurgeryDeals

if you have further questions you can reach me at:

Gladly i can help you :)

619) 900-7345 Office Number
(844) WLS-DEAL / (844) 957-3325
Office Hours: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Monday thru Friday

Hi

I'm from England and am due to have surgery hopefully June time . I'm really excited but also feel a bit lonely as its such a big life style change . and although family and friends have been supportive , they think its a bit drastic. I'm 36 years old and weigh 26st nearly and am so looking forward to being health and happy , but in the back of my mind am worried that the psychological aspects will still get me after the surgery

Welcome to all the new folks! I remember that mix of excitement and anxiety I felt once I started exploring surgery. It is quite an adventure.

This is a great site for information, inspiration, and support.

I was sleeved April 20, 2015 and couldn't be happier with my experience, recovery, and progress so far. It has already changed my life in so many ways and I still have a long way to go.

Best of luck to all of you and keep us posted on how you are doing.