Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need a Healthy Snack

I'm 2 years post-op and 13 pounds above my lowest weight, but slowly climbing.

I'm pretty sure my problem is daily snacking on sugary Cereal (Duh). Upon getting home from work I snack on 2 cups of Cereal, and while I log this and keep my daily calories in check, I think the sugar and carbs are a problem.

Any recommendations on a healthy after work snack? Crunchy is good and maybe a little sweet too.

Thanks ...

I'm a big fan of Fage 0% with fruit. It's tasty and has lots of Protein. You could also have Fage o% plain and add a mix of nuts and splenda.

Honestly I would stay away from the things that drive unhelpful food behaviors. If "crunchy and sweet" is giving you a problem, stop going there. Remember that food isn't entertainment, the purpose isn't to make your mouth feel good. If you are hungry, keep some cooked chicken breast on hand and chop up 3 ounces and have that as a snack. Alternatively, a couple of ounces of beef or turkey Jerky. If you really must do crunchy, do raw carrot and celery sticks.

Also, eating anything sweet is just going to amp up your hunger and cravings. Sugar and carbs will NEVER fill you up. They will only make you hungrier.

When I want something tasty, I eat Protein cake in a cup. It is delicious, totally not cheating, and gives you 25 grams or so of Protein. One scoop Protein powder, a 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, a couple tablespoons each of sugar-free Syrup and milk, stir until it is all wet. Microwave in large cup for 45 seconds or so. Delicious tasty warm cake! I have one most days and it feels like a treat, but really is not.

Instead of Cereal, have you tried a handful of pecan halves?

This article describes my approach in the Maintenance Phase.

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

When I want something tasty, I eat Protein cake in a cup. It is delicious, totally not cheating, and gives you 25 grams or so of Protein. One scoop Protein Powder, a 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, a couple tablespoons each of sugar-free Syrup and milk, stir until it is all wet. Microwave in large cup for 45 seconds or so. Delicious tasty warm cake! I have one most days and it feels like a treat, but really is not.

Oh I am going to have to try this!

Honestly I would stay away from the things that drive unhelpful food behaviors. If "crunchy and sweet" is giving you a problem, stop going there. Remember that food isn't entertainment, the purpose isn't to make your mouth feel good. If you are hungry, keep some cooked chicken breast on hand and chop up 3 ounces and have that as a snack. Alternatively, a couple of ounces of beef or turkey Jerky. If you really must do crunchy, do raw carrot and celery sticks.

Also, eating anything sweet is just going to amp up your hunger and cravings. Sugar and carbs will NEVER fill you up. They will only make you hungrier.

You're right on everything. I'm thinking carrots and celery dipped in hummus.

The Cereal was a treat that's gotten out of hand and introduced old habits. I'm down about 150 lbs and refuse to regain another pound.

Thanks ...

Instead of cereal, have you tried a handful of pecan halves?

Nuts could be a problem in that I might not adequately control portions. An old trigger food from long ago ...

@@Andrew0929, I love a small gala apple with some Peanut Butter (I buy the "natural" peanut butter that you have to mix and has no added sugars). That hits the spot for my sweet tooth.

Okay, this is tough because when I get started on cold Cereal - it is like an addiction! My boys love the crap, so we put it on the shelf I must never open. :) Actually, i discovered that cereal and milk was probably my main trigger food before but I didn't even realize it.

My afternoon snack is almost always one of the following:

-Protein drink

-sandwich meat wrapped around a dill pickle... even better with a bit of cream cheese and honey mustard (sweet and tart and creamy all together)

-Greek yogurt with berries and stevia

-Leftover roasted veggies since I make them for dinner a few times a week. Yes, I eat cold roasted asparagus, brussel sprouts, carrots etc...

-Protein Bars, but they are so high carb!

@@Andrew0929 - I like the crunch too - what about Pork rinds? I like to dip them in hummus too!

Nuts are a trigger food for me too.

@@jane13, that is great suggestion. Those fill my need when I crave chips. They are high in Protein and have no carbs, they are salty and crunchy, and they hit the spot! Love them!

When it comes to Snacks, and meals for that matter, I like things that are pre-portioned.

My new favorite go to post-swim snack is a single serve bag of Mr. cheese O's. They are crunchy and cheesy. I also less frequently have a bag of Nancy's Naturals Protein cookie bites or Quest chips.

cheese sticks, yogurt, turkey roll ups, cottage cheese, and even nuts in single-serve packets make it easier to control portion size for me.

I always take Snacks to the pool. In the summer when I am outside for several hours, I take a small cold cooler.