Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 600 Pound Life: 2016 Season

That bugs me too, only one person so far who had lost weight the easy way like we all have! ugh...but I can't stop watching either. lol

Well that was disappointing...you can't see her results because she gained weight and as usual, the surgeons did NO contouring.

I do want to say....Derek is HOT.

That is all.

@@Babbs I agree with how they act like losing weight without surgery is the end all be all. I know how hard it is to try and lose without surgery so I am not offended.

Still I feel like it's flipping the bird to all the people that lose naturally. The thought has always been the loose skin comes with rapid weight loss from WLS. It is good to see that people that do it the hard way and take years are just as screwed as us. It makes me feel better about my WLS choice and the loose skin. There is no way to avoid it once your skin is stretched, no matter how you lose the weight. I would rather lose fast without feeling like I am starving. Now I know even if I took 5 years and slaved away in the gym, I'd still be screwed.

@@OutsideMatchInside

I know, right? But honestly, I really do admire them. Obviously, I couldn't do it without surgery, but that doesn't make my accomplishment any less. I just chose a different route to get there. But the SHOW seems to be a bit bias against WLS in my opinion.

The doctors are terrible, the young "plastic surgeons" so their opinions are meaningless.

It is a TLC show my expecting were low and they are being met. They are still making people do the humiliating shower scenes.

A lot of these people need counseling though, they have bigger issues that skin

I do want to say....Derek is HOT.

That is all.

Right?? He reminded me a bit of Vin Diesel! His nipples, however, were still too close together. Those surgeons need some help with placement.

I watched 600 lb. life and Skin Tight last night. Was glad to see June get her act together. I was sure she was going to be another Penny. As far as Skin Tight, I agree completely that there is an obvious bias against WLS. Most of those who've had surgery also change eating habits and spend alot of time at the gym so I call BS on it being thought of as the easy way out...but heck, I'm preaching to the choir here. We all know how hard we still have to work. All I kept thinking is that both of these folks who lost it the 'old fashioned way' would likely gain it back. We all know losing it is easy compared to maintaining.

My thoughts on June:

She was obviously not psychological ready for surgery although I see Dr. Now's concern about her not living another month and wanting to treat her physical symptoms right away.

I am glad he made the point of how it is possible for obese people to be malnourished.

I just don't see how they couldn't have her seeing a therapist that first month she was in the hospital. I just can't imagine how she would have ever passed a psych clearance without at least starting some therapy pre-op.

I also think this is a great example of how both partners need extensive nutrition counseling and training.

I am coming to the conclusion that spouses, partners, children, and other live-in "helpers" need a formal program to prep for surgery, including their own psych clearance. There seem to be so many codependent, and abusive relationships (from both directions) on this show. As well as just a lot of ignorance.

Did anybody else think that June's girlfriend was a teenage boy in the shower scene?

If June had been in the hospital 20 times, why has they not even brought up surgery? It seems that Dr. Now could have been brought in to consult. If her health concerns were anything other than obesity I am sure they would have considered all options.

June's legs reminded me a lot of mine in the shape, fat distribution, and lymphedema. I saw a lot of myself in her mobility challenges. It was very sobering and made me very grateful for all the progress I have had so far.

If my son was killed in the way her son was, therapy should have been one of the first tools I reached for. It breaks my heart how culturally and socially there are so many barriers to people seeking and accepting help. At the very least she could have benefitted from some serious pastoral counseling. Our mental health system is so broken in this country.

I don't watch Skin Tight.

@@KristenVSG2014

What is it with the nipples on the guys?? I was telling my husband about it before we saw Derek's, and when he saw them he was perplexed. He couldn't figure out if they looked fake, too close together, or what?

My husband lost 120 pounds almost 10 years ago with a RNY and has kept most of it off. He has some moobage going on, but not too bad actually. I would rather him have his little moobs than look at those freaky nipples all the time!

Does nobody on that show realize that if they have 50 folks on that show who lost weight "the natural way" 48 or 49 of them are going to regain all their weight (and probably more)?

Sheesh!

Those are the actual statistics re how effective "the natural way of losing weight" is long-term.

@@VSGAnn2014

Funny you should mention that. The gal on this week's show had gained 40 pounds during her recovery in a matter of a few months.

I honestly don't think that large of a gain in that short amount of time would have been possible with WLS.

But what do I know anyway. I just post here ;)

My thoughts on June:

She was obviously not psychological ready for surgery although I see Dr. Now's concern about her not living another month and wanting to treat her physical symptoms right away.

I am glad he made the point of how it is possible for obese people to be malnourished.

I just don't see how they couldn't have her seeing a therapist that first month she was in the hospital. I just can't imagine how she would have ever passed a psych clearance without at least starting some therapy pre-op.

I also think this is a great example of how both partners need extensive nutrition counseling and training.

I am coming to the conclusion that spouses, partners, children, and other live-in "helpers" need a formal program to prep for surgery, including their own psych clearance. There seem to be so many codependent, and abusive relationships (from both directions) on this show. As well as just a lot of ignorance.

Did anybody else think that June's girlfriend was a teenage boy in the shower scene?

If June had been in the hospital 20 times, why has they not even brought up surgery? It seems that Dr. Now could have been brought in to consult. If her health concerns were anything other than obesity I am sure they would have considered all options.

June's legs reminded me a lot of mine in the shape, fat distribution, and lymphedema. I saw a lot of myself in her mobility challenges. It was very sobering and made me very grateful for all the progress I have had so far.

If my son was killed in the way her son was, therapy should have been one of the first tools I reached for. It breaks my heart how culturally and socially there are so many barriers to people seeking and accepting help. At the very least she could have benefitted from some serious pastoral counseling. Our mental health system is so broken in this country.

I don't watch Skin Tight.

They may have suggested therapy to her in the hospital and she may not have been receptive to it at that time. With so much editing it is hard to tell the true story of what is really happening. But I agree, definitely in the Black culture, seeing a therapist means that you are "crazy" therefore we are a bit hesitant to the idea. Luckily, that taboo has changed some. I think Dr. Now is just no-nonsense. I am sure he has heard every excuse and now he has a low tolerance for it. I dont get offended when they make the losing weight naturally comment. It takes a lot of dedication and determination to lose weight and keep it off both "naturally and surgically." As far as "Skin Tight" I am very disappointed in their results. I expect Dr. NOW results to be sub par because he isn't a plastic surgeon and it shows. The nipple placement last night were hideous. And the plastic surgeon's results aren't any better. They must not be allowed to do liposuction on the show because they all can benefit from it. They need to be more aggressive and learn how to contour the body. So disappointing for them I'm sure, especially for the females.

I actually think I would be pissed and depressed if I went through the multiple surgeries and recovery... and ended up with those results.

I know 3 ladies that have Tummy tucks, and 2 that have had breastlift/augmentation. All of them have far superior results than what I see on the show.

Okay tonight's episode with Chad:

Did anyone else get annoyed with Dr Now for getting mad at Chad for not wanting to take TWO HUNDRED DOLLAR A MONTH MEDICATION??

I mean, really? I wouldn't take it, either! I'm sorry!

But, Dr Now did say why didn't you let us know it was too expensive instead of not taking it?