Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision done in one or two surgeries?

Hi Everyone!

I'm just curious about how many of you were able to have your band removed and converted to a sleeve in one surgery or if you had to have two separate surgeries. Also, did any of your surgeons say they have a preference? My surgeon says he prefers to complete everything in one surgery assuming they're are no complications or major scar tissue. Thanks for your feedback and experiences!

I"m having mine done in one surgery. Im going to Mexico where my band was placed and I will be there for 5 days.

We were hoping to have it done in one surgery. Once the surgeon got inside he felt there was too much scar tissue and damage... so he only removed the band and as much scar tissue/adhesions as he could in prep for the Sleeve. After a period to heal and recover I went back for the Sleeve surgery.

Thanks for the responses! Liannatx, I've seen a few of your previous posts and it sounds like you had a lot of issues with your band! I'm curious, did the doctor do any tests or scans beforehand to estimate scar tissue or did they just figure it out during surgery? I haven't had a ton of band issues except for GERD whch led to emptying it a couple of years ago and that is leading to preparing for the sleeve this year. Thanks for everyone sharing! Like so many others, I'm trying to wrap my head around everything :)

I had my band removed because it slipped and the doctor could not fix it. I had a lot of scar tissue also. I did not choose to get the sleeve until 2 years after.

My surgeon only does it in 2 parts. He says that it cuts chances of a leak in half and also makes it easier to get a properly shaped sleeve. The removal was a cinch I was out in a few hours in time for lunch.

Interesting! So for those of you who just had the band removed, did you go home the same day? I assumed I'd have to spend the night if this was the case.

Next day...never the same day....2 to 3 days on average.

Interesting! So for those of you who just had the band removed, did you go home the same day? I assumed I'd have to spend the night if this was the case.

I would ask. I've never heard of anyone spending the night for a removal. I suppose if it was very complicated you might. It was pretty easy except for where port was.

I did go home the same day when my band was removed only.

Interesting. Well I'll be mentally prepared if only the band is done. I'll be okay with that. Heal and then go back.

I had my band removed in Aug 2015 and the doctor had to remove a lot of scar tissue. I had the band in for 8 years. Had to have it removed because it had slipped and was causing me to have extreme gerd and vomiting in my sleep. I am scheduled to have the Gastric Sleeve, Jan 21 and started my Pre-Op diet today.

A good surgeon will do the band to sleeve in 2 surgeries to prevent complications. The stomach has been compromised from the Band causing excessive scar tissue. A compromised stomach needs to heal in order to prevent the staples not holding once the sleeve is done. My surgeon told me I won't be as restricted with the sleeve as a patient who hasn't been banded. I also spoke to an employee in the office who went from Band to Sleeve and she said it's true, we aren't as restricted and it's harder to loose the weight for us than the non compromised patients.

Unfortunately, I've gained almost all of my weight back after my band removal. I lost 100 pounds and kept it off for 7 years. I have gained about 80 of it back from August until now. This raised my BMI high enough, so my insurance will cover the surgery.

I had my band removed in Aug 2015 and the doctor had to remove a lot of scar tissue. I had the band in for 8 years. Had to have it removed because it had slipped and was causing me to have extreme gerd and vomiting in my sleep. I am scheduled to have the Gastric Sleeve, Jan 21 and started my Pre-Op diet today.

A good surgeon will do the band to sleeve in 2 surgeries to prevent complications. The stomach has been compromised from the Band causing excessive scar tissue. A compromised stomach needs to heal in order to prevent the staples not holding once the sleeve is done. My surgeon told me I won't be as restricted with the sleeve as a patient who hasn't been banded. I also spoke to an employee in the office who went from Band to Sleeve and she said it's true, we aren't as restricted and it's harder to loose the weight for us than the non compromised patients.

Unfortunately, I've gained almost all of my weight back after my band removal. I lost 100 pounds and kept it off for 7 years. I have gained about 80 of it back from August until now. This raised my BMI high enough, so my insurance will cover the surgery.

I maintained for many years and then gained all my weight back too but am down 56lbs since June 30th. Slower than my loss with band but doesn't matter.