Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Scheduled and very Nervous!

Hello Everyone! I had my lapband surgery back in April 2010. I am now scheduled for revision surgery to Sleeve on January 25th. I am so excited. I am not nervous about the procedure or anything like that... what I am nervous about, is waking up and being told my doctor was not able to revise me due to scar tissue. His intention is to do it in one surgery. He does not do a second, so I feel like this is my only chance. I feel like I will be mentally defeated if I wake up without a revision. I have spent the last two months getting all my classes, labs, and weight loss in order. I am praying I wake up with a revision.

Any personal stories of others who have dealt with this? Anyone know my chances of having way too much scar tissue? Thanks :)

My doctor has done over 800 and he has only had two he couldn't complete I think.

For me, the sleeve surgery was MUCH easier than the band. The only issue was the nausea that I had for about 2 days but that was pretty well controlled at the hospital. I was not so much sore as swollen. None of the port pain - it was really a totally different experience. I was back to my regular self in a week - then I threw out my back but that is a different story. The only real "issue" I faced was that I was more tired with this surgery and for longer. I even find eating much easier now.

I had my sleeve removed because it slipped, but I didn't want the sleeve at that time. He said I had a lot of scar tissue and should wait about a year for it to heal. Two years later I finally got sleeved on 12/14/15. So far I don't have any real big problems. I had some nausea at the hospital but not vomiting or anything else. My pain was minimal.....it was worse when I had the lap band. The worst part now is the 1 month diet of liquid and purée. I get a lot of head hunger all the time!!!

I had my sleeve removed because it slipped, but I didn't want the sleeve at that time. He said I had a lot of scar tissue and should wait about a year for it to heal. Two years later I finally got sleeved on 12/14/15. So far I don't have any real big problems. I had some nausea at the hospital but not vomiting or anything else. My pain was minimal.....it was worse when I had the lap band. The worst part now is the 1 month diet of liquid and purée. I get a lot of head hunger all the time!!!

A year? Wow that is a long time. The longest weight I have heard of is 6 months. My only issue is my doctor says he does not like to go back in. So if he can't do it, I may have to find another doctor! :( Anyone gone in to get the sleeve and come out without it done?

I'm scheduled on the 20th and feel the same as you do.

Hello Everyone! I had my lapband surgery back in April 2010. I am now scheduled for revision surgery to Sleeve on January 25th. I am so excited. I am not nervous about the procedure or anything like that... what I am nervous about, is waking up and being told my doctor was not able to revise me due to scar tissue. His intention is to do it in one surgery. He does not do a second, so I feel like this is my only chance. I feel like I will be mentally defeated if I wake up without a revision. I have spent the last two months getting all my classes, labs, and weight loss in order. I am praying I wake up with a revision.

Any personal stories of others who have dealt with this? Anyone know my chances of having way too much scar tissue? Thanks :)

I'm exactly in the same boat as you. My surgeon is wanting to do both at the same time. I currently have an unfilled band. I was told by my surgeon that 95% of the time this can be done without complications. There have only been a few that he could not do. This would be due to possible band erosions or too much scar tissue. He wont know till he goes in.

I'm really looking forward to not PB or slime all the time and lead a semi normal life. I'm so tired of the slime even when I just eat a frickin berry. My band was so unpredictable.

Mine was done at the same time. My sleeve is a little larger than typical because of scar tissue. He only removed about 75% instead of the typically 80 to 85% so he could line up the sleeve with the esophagus where the scar tissue was.

I have slower weight loss but it's still working. I don't experience a lot of hunger but I can eat more than a typical sleeve so I have to be careful with portion sizes now.

My only concern is that he goes in and says WAY TOO MUCH SCAR TISSUE and doesn't do the revision... :( all I can do is pray

Any update? I'm worried about the exact same thing. My surgery will be in a couple weeks and he won't know until he goes in. I made him promise to really try [emoji16].

I'm so consumed by worry. One of my worst fears is waking up without the sleeve :(

I was sleeved on January 25th! So far I am down 10lbs since the day of sugery. Definitely a slower loser compared to others. But he was able to do it all at once!!! The worrying about it definitely consumed me as well. Especially since my doctor is very conservative. I would say stay positive. If my doctor was able to, there is hope for everyone hahaha GOODLUCK

Thank you so much for the reply. I'm SO happy that you were able to have the surgery and are losing weight!! Yay!!!!

I'm just going to take deep breathes, relax, and leave it in my surgeons hands. What will be, will be. Thank you for the positive story. It does give me hope

I'm exactly in the same boat as you. My surgeon is wanting to do both at the same time. I currently have an unfilled band. I was told by my surgeon that 95% of the time this can be done without complications. There have only been a few that he could not do. This would be due to possible band erosions or too much scar tissue. He wont know till he goes in.

I'm really looking forward to not PB or slime all the time and lead a semi normal life. I'm so tired of the slime even when I just eat a frickin berry. My band was so unpredictable.

I have an unfilled band now also after 4 years. I am converting to sleeve, but told I have to do 3 month diet trial, did you?

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Mine was done at the same time. My sleeve is a little larger than typical because of scar tissue. He only removed about 75% instead of the typically 80 to 85% so he could line up the sleeve with the esophagus where the scar tissue was.

I have slower weight loss but it's still working. I don't experience a lot of hunger but I can eat more than a typical sleeve so I have to be careful with portion sizes now.

Did you have to do a 3 month diet trial for conversion?

I have an unfilled band now also after 4 years. I am converting to sleeve, but told I have to do 3 month diet trial, did you?

Did you have to do a 3 month diet trial for conversion?

Not so much a 3 month trial diet. But my doctor did give me a goal weight that I had to get down to. I was at 235 and had to get down to 220 before getting would do the surgery. So he did give me a diet to follow to get there. But it only took me a month...