Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prescription Drug Costs

Holy firetruck! Putting it nicely that is! It's a new year obviously and with new years comes changes. Last year we met our deductible and our prescription drugs were very cheap. So, it was time today to fill my prescription for oxycodone er 40mg. The cost for a 30 day supply - $538! Yes that is correct, 60 pills, 538 buckaroos! I checked and last year before deductible was met the most I paid was 140. So tell me, how the frig does the cost go up that high in 8 months? This doesn't include the fact I have to physically see the Dr every month before he will renew the prescription. That visit is blood work and urine sample each time. So in reality it's well over 1000 a month for just one med. I have 2 plates, 12 screws in my back, 2 spacers in my back, a fake knee which has been done twice in last 7 years and arthritis in every joint. My options are few! Stop taking pain meds, suffer horrible withdrawal and possibly kick the bucket to get off these meds to then be wracked with debilitating pain and not function in life, or....continue taking the meds, sell my house, go bankrupt, get a divorce and live in my van. I've never been so low in my life, this is the first time I've ever thought that my family would be better off without me. It makes me sick to think how much money is being made off people's misfortunes and poor health. I regret now having had wls because it will prolong this shit life I'm going to have to lead. I drive a piece of shit car by the way, and my clothes come from goodwill and hand me downs from friends. Pretty sure this will be the straw that breaks the camels back with my wife. She is tired of working 60 plus hours a week at a very good job only to come home to nothing. I'm so pissed and hurting, I'm already suffering withdrawal after 1 day of no meds. Really hating myself and life in general right now!

@@retzlpa - That is a lot of pain. I'm sorry to hear of your struggles. I have no idea how hard it is for you. I appreciate you sharing that burden with us.

As far as your immediate problem, you might want to look at over seas pharmacies (the reason why the FDA doesn't test those drugs is because they are so close to what you find at Walgreen's that Big Pharma doesn't want the word out - see the book Spam Nation).

I only hope your weight loss will help you gain control of your life and pain. Once that happens, then the hard work of weening off pain killers will begin. That will be a struggle brother. A little outside the scope of knowledge of this group (though some might have some good advise).

Congratulations on your weight loss to date. I want you to please realize that on top of the financial pressures you are enduring, you are also on the big hormone dump. Your old fat cells are are dumping testosterone and estrogen in your system. It will mess with your mind and emotions. That's a reality. Be careful with making permanent choices when you are in a period of transition.

@@retzlpa - I think I would question the pharmacy on that. I don't think that cost is correct. Did they give you brand name maybe instead of generic? GoodRX.com shows the cost of this med (generic form) ranges from $100 to $217 and that's without insurance! I might also call your insurance company and see what they show the cost is.

I am so sorry you are in so much pain and going through all this. Like @@OKCPirate I truly hope the weight loss will eventually offer some relief.

Please don't give up. You have endured so much and come so far. Check every pharmacy you can contact for prices. Ask your local hospital if they have any clinics or pharmacy plans themselves which would help you. Talk to your Dr. perhaps he/she can help or find you a painkiller where the drug co has a plan to help people get it at a reasonable price. Sometimes they will prescribe one that you can then top up with your oxy. I guess with so many problems there is no hope that killing off any of the nerves involved.Unfortunately I think this is one of those meds that is incredibly hard to buy on line from a foreign pharmacy for though they provide legit drugs this is one that would be readily resold. I understand how devastating this but you are not alone in this "medical mess" we call health care. I know others struggling as well. Please keep on trying to find meds and if you are in too much pain to tackle this try and find an advocate that will do it for you. I wish the very best in finding an answer.

Purdue Pharmaceuticals, the manufacturer, has a patient assistance program: http://www.purduepharma.com/patients-caregivers/cost-savings/

You can also ask your doctor to put you in touch with their Purdue rep and ask the rep for help.

I am with Daisy on this one. These drug companies as well as medical facilities themselves seem to be jacking up the prices but there are other options.

Also, talk to your doctor, they may have an option for you that can help.

I am on the drug Stelara for psoriatic arthritis. I get a shot at my doctors office every 8 weeks. I have been on 90ml for about 5 years now. This drug costs about 12k for each one. Yes, I said 12k.

Thankfully Stelara helps with my portion of the drug which is 80 percent.

When I dropped from 310 to 220lbs they moved me to a lower dose. I tried that for nearly 6 months and my disease started kicking up badly. My doctor determined that we needed to keep me on the high dose even those I am well below the 220lb threshold.

When he put the order through of course my insurance company said no frighten way. She is 175lbs and all we are paying for is the smaller dose.

My doctor went to Stelara and they are now providing a second dose for me. They give him extra samples so instead of getting 1 shot of 90ml, I get two every 8 weeks.

Doctors can really do more than they like to help us with these issues. I am sure he can give you the name of a pharmacy that won't rip you off.

I can completely relate to your pain! I have severe osteoarthritis of my spine. 6 back surgeries, multiple fusions. 1 more surgery coming up on my left shoulder and likely they are going to have to go into my thoracic spine as they found a benign tumor that is putting pressure on the T11 nerve root.

Most drug companies have patient assistant programs for people who can not afford their medications. Call the manufacturer of the drug or apply on line. They will send it to your doctors office. As far as the drug testing it is because so many people get meds and sell them. They have to make sure you are taking it and it is in your system. Hope you get some help.

Called my Dr., he changed prescription to the non extended release so i will now take it 4 times a day instead of two.....whoop dee doo, the price was 63 bucks for 120 pills. I have no problem taking it 4 times a day for that huge price difference. My Dr. was almost as pissed at me on the cost. While I sat in his office he called 3 pharmacies to get prices and all of them were within 10 bucks of each other. My Dr. is leaving to teach Feb. 2nd, so he made an appointment for me on the first and told me that we would go through all my meds at that time to make sure there are no more surprises, and to introduce me to the Dr. taking his place. So thankful for a Dr. that really cares. One thing I wish they would tell you about in the pre wls classes is the huge emotional swings that can happen. I have always been very level headed and calm during a crisis, so it was odd for me to fly off the handle yesterday. But it also brought me to a point of feeling like I should see a counselor to work through the emotions that are surfacing. Thank you to everyone who responded, this site and forums are great!

If you flew off the handle when you were quoted 500.00 for medication that can't be blamed on your surgery. That is just righteous indignation. No wonder people live under bridges and die without meds!

It really is ridiculous what is happening with healthcare.

I had two procedures done recently.

1. At the end of October, I had 3 nerve blocks done. It took less than an hour and it was done in a less than stellar setting. I will never again have this procedure done at this facility. So far I have only received the doctors portion of the bill which was 4,683.00! The doctor was great but really? The bill for the facility and drugs still coming. Because I moved to wi, mid year and had to Change insurance, my portion of this bill was 2,000 because I had not yet hit my max out of pocket.

2. On November 16th, I had surgery to remove a neurostimulator from my spine so that I can have an MRI to figure out what is going on. Surgery took just short of 2 hours and I was sent home 3 hours later. On the way out the door, they gave me 1 5/325 Vicodin. The bill for that 1 pill was 18.75! My copay for this medication now is 10.00 for the 10/325 and I get 120!

Really? The bill for the hospital and supplies was 18,758. Still waiting for the neurosurgeon's bill. The only good news about this is my max out of pocket was paid.

Now, I blew my rotator cuff and I have severe bone on bone arthritis in my left shoulder requiring surgery on 2/12. Here we go again. My max out of pocket, another 2k. And we are moving in the spring to another state which means I get to start all over again this year.

By the way, they found a benign tumor (Schwarnoma) on my T11 nerve root in my spine. With the pain I am in and more importantly my inability to breathe deep, they are going to want to do surgery to remove the tumor and honestly I need to have it done so I can get back to work soon. All these damn doctor bills are killing us.

I am not sure where supposedly the cost of insurance has gone down. This year it went up from $1100 per month to $1400 per month? Since I am unemployed I pay $1400.00 a month out of pocket. Because These medical issues have been going on for the last 1 1/2 years, I have had to use up my entire 401k that I worked my whole life for to cover the costs of living and mostly medical bills.

I hope at 52 I am able to start completely over again, but first I need to get well.

I applied for disability just until I can get back on my feet but it's been nearly 6 months and have heard nothing. How the hell long does it take them to figure this out?

Everyone asks me all the time if I ever regret having WLS. I wish I would have had WLS 10 years earlier, maybe this arthritis would not have taken such a toll on my spine and gobbled up my life savings.

The cost of medical is absolutely outrageous!

Our health care system is a complete mess. Medicine costs are through the roof and no end in sight. I had a balance on a medical bill of 20,000. I went into the hospital and sat across the desk from a patient advocate. I asked her what would happen if I didn't pay. She told me they would write off the bill and turn it into collections knowing at best they would get 20 percent. So, I said I can't afford to pay 20,000 but I will write a check for 10000 which is 50 percent and you can write the rest off. It's either that or turn it to collections. Guess what? They took my check as payment in full and wrote off the rest. Moral of story, never pay medical bill without negotiating first