Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I Really Do This? HELP

Hi Everyone!

I have a long story so I will keep it short. I was schedule to have the sleeve 11 months ago. A week away from surgery my surgery was canceled. This was due to military issues and I had no control over them.

It was extremely emotional going up to one week before surgery then not having it. I resolved myself to thinking it just wasn't meant to be. I thought I could do everything on my own. One large factor was my insurance did not cover the sleeve(long story about Tricare and milky base docs) and that was the only surgery I wanted.

Fast forward 11 months and I have gained weight ???? I am now heavier than I have ever been. I recently found out that my insurance will pay for the sleeve????.

So here is what I need help with. I have a co-worker that had WLS not the sleeve. She looks terrible. Her hair has mostly fallen out her eyes are so dark underneath and she looks ill. I do notice what she eats and it really is all bad food with no nutritional value.

I am by no means in a place to judge but my fear is..if I have surgery will I end up like her? If I can't lose weight on my own how will I be able to do everything correctly so I don't end up where I am now? How do you guys do it? I really want to have the surgery and know I can do it in the beginning but what about a year down the road? How do you all handle your cravings?

It sounds like your friend isn't keeping up with her Protein and Vitamins. It will definitely be 100% up to you to stick to the post-op plan and make sure you get in all your nutrients. It also sounds like she maybe had DS or RNY, since you say she didn't have sleeve? If that's the case, those are malabsorbative procedures that mean the patients don't get the full nutrition out of what they eat, so there is a higher risk of Vitamin deficiencies with those procedures. With the sleeve, you will at least get all of the nutrients from everything you eat, but you will still have to supplement with Vitamins, because you simply won't be able to eat enough to meet all of your nutritional needs.

The good news is, taking your vitamins and tracking your Protein are pretty simple to do. There are lots of apps that let you set reminders for your vitamins. And there are apps that let you easily log the foods you eat. Once you get a good sense of how much protein is in the the things you commonly eat, you won't have to track your protein in an app anymore, you can just track it in your head.

It sounds like your friend isn't keeping up with her Protein and Vitamins. It will definitely be 100% up to you to stick to the post-op plan and make sure you get in all your nutrients. It also sounds like she maybe had DS or RNY, since you say she didn't have sleeve? If that's the case, those are malabsorbative procedures that mean the patients don't get the full nutrition out of what they eat, so there is a higher risk of Vitamin deficiencies with those procedures. With the sleeve, you will at least get all of the nutrients from everything you eat, but you will still have to supplement with Vitamins, because you simply won't be able to eat enough to meet all of your nutritional needs.

The good news is, taking your vitamins and tracking your Protein are pretty simple to do. There are lots of apps that let you set reminders for your vitamins. And there are apps that let you easily log the foods you eat. Once you get a good sense of how much protein is in the the things you commonly eat, you won't have to track your protein in an app anymore, you can just track it in your head.

Jaime what apps can you recommend for tracking vitamins? mfp doesn't do that. Thanks!

I agree with @JamieLogical. Since the sleeve doesn't use malabsorption, getting in all of your Protein and fluids, taking your Vitamins, and exercising are really the best ways to stay healthy. Getting enough quality sleep is also important but that is another whole thread!

You can use MFP to track your Vitamins as a "food" but it won't give you a separate graph or number.

Best of luck with your surgery and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Only you can make this decision. If you decide its for you then make it your goal to follow all post op directions so you don't end up like your coworker. There are a lot of wonderful people here who can help you with questions and concerns.

I am waiting for approval from my insurance so maybe we will sleeved around the same time. (I'm Blue Cross FEP)

Agree with everyone. You only get of this what you are willing to put into it. It's up to you to be successful. Just my $0.02.

@@Lindsey Skinner Abbott It is up to you, your life, your journey. I am 4 months out and it has been a hard friggin ride. Both mentally and physically. I have had a hard go at recovery, and have terrible gerd now. My life has changed, in every way imaginable. But I get asked this all the time..........."would you do it again?" in a heartbeat. I self paid in Mexico and wished I would have had counselling and more information and preparation but this is 2016 and the internet is a great tool along with this website. Its a game changer man. I cry about my hair loss daily but...hair grows back. Lots of Protein lots of Vitamins, and support helps. I am 57 pounds lighter. I feel more energized, I feel better . Load yourself with knowledge and prepare yourself, its a new life.

@@ocgirl15 I never really had to use an app to track my pills/vitamins, because I was used to taking pills daily years before my gastric sleeve. But i have heard good things about Pill Reminder. I just looked up the web site for it and it does look really good. So maybe give that a try now just taking a Multi-Vitamin and whatever other meds you might be on and see how it works out for you?