Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone else cold all the time post surgery? What's the cause of that and how do you manage it?

I used to never be cold, but ever since the gastric sleeve I grew to be cold most of the time... I was told that it was because my body had lost plenty of fat calories that kept my body warm, therefore I was cold most of the time.. Nowadays I just wear plenty of layers. Like long socks or stockings under jeans. Warmers under jackets, etc..

Very common. In the weeks after surgery it can be due to shock of surgery or the medications flushing from your system. After that it can be from simply having less insulation due to fat loss. I've always been hot blooded. I find myself reaching for a sweater more often.

I am menopausal, so I battle the "I am freezing" one minute to "sweating like a pig" the next. I live in the Sunshine State and I hate to be cold and now it seems worse, I actually {{{{{shiver}}}}} in about 70 degrees.

Yeah, happens to me too. I was always sweaty sitting down in a chair with shorts and a t shirt. Now I freeze with two long sleeve t shirts on. I like to layer so I welcome it for the most part, but in the mornings, outside, my hands and face just freeze. I have to keep a space heater on my desk at work.

Fat stores hormones (especially estrogen) so as you lose fat, all those hormones get flushed out into your system... and can screw up your body temp regulation. That, combined with just losing fat stores in general can cause things to go haywire (you may experience mood swings through the weight loss period too due to this - frequent crying and sad/mad for no reason).

I had issues with this the first 2-3 months. Now even though it is freezing cold, I seem pretty well regulated. I am colder than I used to be but not the constant freezing cold I was before. My poor furry dog was dying near the end of summer when I was comfortable with it being 78/79 in the apartment :(

I have read that your thyroid can get "off" after VSG and that can cause the cold feeling. I plan to ask my doctor to check my Free T3 and TSH levels at my next visit to him.

I have always been the hot one at work. Always had my fan on and short sleeves even in the winter. Fast foward 6 weeks post op and I can't get warm enough!! I have a personal heater and move it from the floor to my desk so it will blow right on my face. Haha

Once I increased my workout and cardio I stay warmer longer and don't feel cold like before.

Edited by dusky goddess

I used to feel warm but after vsg im feeling cold alot. I noticed it can rarely get too hot for me, the only way i know my room is really hot is that when i feel like i can not breath well.

At 9 weeks post, I am now prone to getting chills. It is like I'm okay, then I get a touch cold and then boom - I'm in the deep freeze and I have to bundle up for an hour. In short, I fall into being cold quickly, and then it takes 10 times as long to get back to warm.

Same here. I think it's the lack of energy food keeping me warm! I'm sitting here with the heating on and a strong fan heater blowing at me and I'm still cold lol :) I just can't wait for the summer !

Make sure your not anemic. But it is not uncommon to feel colder as you lose weight. Mostly due to the fact your basal metabolic rate slows down, basically your body is slowing down to conserve the fat. Survival mode for your body.