Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I love Mexican food.... And I am 6 weeks out of sleeve surgery. Soft foods are going very well and I am ready for some Mexican food. Can I have tortillas and chips with queso?

You could have the quest! Skip the tortilla's and chips.

Refried Beans are my go to at a Mexican restaurant. I also sometimes get a taco and put the insides on my Beans. Just think Protein and texture.

Skip the chips and put salsa on refried Beans. Might even try chix fajitas without the tortilla

Edited by Txbariatricguy

The last time I went to a Mexican restaurant, I had the insides of a chicken fajita. I would pass on the chips because of the salt, grease, and calories. Miss Tummy could not handle salsa until about six months, and at two years out I still can't tolerate jalapenos very well.

That's what I was guessing. It's a little sad... But WORTH IT!

Thanks everyone

My new favorite it the fajita burrito, but I just eat the meat from the inside. There is plenty and it cost less than a fajita order.

I also love the refried Beans with cheese in my early stages, but now lean more toward the chicken.< /p>

I have recently created cheese crisps by putting shredded cheese on parchment paper and baked in the oven for a little crunch. Kinda like a chip. I am 3 months out.

I order some celery and use that to dip into the salsa & guacamole.

chips have never been my friend....especially now.

What does your surgeon's eating plan say? Mine says no tortillas, chips, ( or bread, rice, Pasta, crackers) for a minimum of six months after surgery.

From a medical standpoint, My plan listed chips as a "crunchy" food along with nuts and seeds and not to eat them till 3 months

From a weight loss standpoint I wouldn't eat non nutritional carbs at least until you are at goal. Bad habit to start so soon. Put the queso on your refried Beans and call it yummy instead.

I cracked open a can of refried Beans for dinner today, but found them kinda "blah". But having read this thread, I just realized that there's a jar of queso in the fridge. :)

Maybe for Breakfast tomorrow, some scrambled eggs with queso + Beans on the side.

I cracked open a can of refried Beans for dinner today, but found them kinda "blah". But having read this thread, I just realized that there's a jar of queso in the fridge. :)

Maybe for Breakfast tomorrow, some scrambled eggs with queso + Beans on the side.

That's why I always have salsa and pace picante sauce in the refrigerator. It makes everything taste better!

Physically could you have a few tortilla chips - yes, I am sure your tummy could handle it but should you is a whole other story. To be honest, I ate a handful of them this week and I am only 4 weeks post op. Nothing bad happened, they went down and stayed down fine but I felt so guilty afterwards I haven't done it again since. For me, tortilla chips are a slippery slope (my weakness before was salty, cheesy, crunchy things) and something I personally need to avoid until I reach goal or beyond.

Quest Protein chips and salsa is a great combination.

I think it really just varies so much from person to person and plan to plan. I too was a chip & savory food type person pre-sleeve and once I was cleared for eating normal foods I have let myself have tortilla chips on a couple of occasions. Now I will say I only let myself have two chips with the meal but it is enough to satisfy the desire for the chip. I am just past three months out and have lost 60lbs since surgery even with the occasional bit of carb (like only once every few weeks). My plan says I could have 1/2 slice bread or few crackers daily but I do not.