Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who have had unfills

I had posted on another forum, but also now posting here to see if anyone else can share their experience or interested in chatting regarding this issue.

How long did it take to get back to a point where you were losing weight again?? I have had to have a complete unfill (due to major restriction and complications) and have since gained 25lbs in the last two months. I am now close to where I was before I had the unfill (previously at 5.6 and now at 5.0) and while I feel closer to 'green' I know i am not quite there. I go for another fill next week and will reach the max capacity my surgeon wants me at (5.5) since the episode. I am trying to eat the right foods, lots of Protein and veggies, but I am still constantly hungry and not feeling near enough restriction (next to none). And despite the fact I am exercising daily, the scale still isn't moving! Anyone else have a similar experience? I am personally horrified by my weight gain and feeling very much a failure right now. I could really use some advice, motivation, etc from someone who has been through the same. Thanks.

"but I am still constantly hungry and not feeling near enough restriction (next to none). And despite the fact I am exercising daily, the scale still isn't moving!"

well you touch on a couple of the more vacuous definitions ("hungry/restriction") that are very subjective, and then insert the allegorical reality of objective science ("scale") by which to demonstrate dedication to process ("exercise") is failing.

I too have been frustrated by the fickle nature of My Little Angel of the Silicon Fist. The Lap Band performs for me, on average, "perfectly"......just as the 'perfect elevation' above sea level is the average between the Sierra Nevadas & the Jersey shores thrown in, if we can use metaphor.

I once went 18 months systematically tracking every calorie, every food, every exercise, and lost not one pound.

I was hungry too often and cranky too much. I suddenly realized in that period my pants had moved downward by 3 sizes, which I had somehow over looked.

And I agree we tend to focus way too much on 'what we want when we want it'.

Hunger is far larger a habit than I ever anticipated.

I don't know what 'feeling restriction' really accomplishes for the long run; it does thwart immediate hogging out on massive quantities of some foods. What is more effective for my own serenity, is to better identify that illusive break between 'feeling hunger' and 'feeling NON hunger'.

Usually the 'feeling restricted' produced far less results, and far more often the bleak emptiness of not being able to cram enough down with my eating shovel fast enough.

My goal is to be 'not hungry' rather than 'feel restriction'. Sometimes there is only 1 bite between the 'hunger' and 'not hunger'.

Feeling like a failure because of our fluctuating weight, is not a very scientific way to manage our emotional psychies.

Reverting to Bad Old Eating Habits now & then is a difficult behavior pattern to change. You can do it.

I have an antique Band: 4cc. I have been able over 12 years to only tolerate 1.6cc without major symptoms appearing.

So I treat myself as a part of a complicated cooperative association moving in the right direction for my goal, rather than flail myself for failing to accomplish what seems to have been an unrealistic goal.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Keep exercising!

Finding that "Perfect" balance between the right amount of restriction, the foods we eat, and how we eat them can be very elusive....

I've been doing very well with 7cc in a 10cc band....so well, I decided to ask to have 1/2cc taken out...

My Dr. and NP objected, saying "If it's not broke, why fix it"

I was doing so well, with no complications or ill effects....but in my head I had a plan to get that 1/2cc taken out, and perhaps continuing 1/2 cc un-fills every few months or so.

Well, they took out the first 1/2cc...and it disrupted that perfect balance I had....not only did my hunger and appetite come roaring back, but I was able to eat much larger portions per sitting...and become hungry soon after...

All that from 1/2cc !!!

I went back 2-3 weeks later and had that 1/2cc put back in...amongst the smiles of my Dr and staff as if to say "I Told you so"

So yes, it can be a very delicate balance to achieve...

I had an identical experience to what you are describing after having an unfill, and then refills. When I asked my surgeon why we "refillers" seem to report a lack of being able to refind original sensations of fullness/lack of hunger between meals/restriction, he answered "We don't know."

It's a drag, but it may be helpful to get in the mindset that your band ultimately doesn't do the bulk of the work after the initial, glorius first year (or so). Mine ran full power for the first year, making the weight drop off with little effort on my part, other than eating in a band-friendly way which was super easy due to my perfect restriction. Then I started having complications and a first unfill. I never found the original restriction once I was cleared to start refilling. As time went by, and my weight started slowly climbing, I told myself I had to throw out the fantasy that my band was going to do all the work for me. So I brought in my old tools (from my dieting years) and polished those off. The weight gain halted (I've been at the same weight for more than a year now--no losses, but no gains). I had to let go of feeling badly that I was "back to dieting" but you know what? At the end of the day, it still is easier, at least for me, to do this with a band (mine is now unfilled completely, due to other complications) than to do this as an unbanded person.

In short, I understand and have lived exactly what you are experiencing. My only "tip" is to "live like you have an active band" even if you aren't feeling it. (I know, it's not as easy as when the band was indeed active.)

I really like reading veterans stories. You have truly lived the banded life, as have I , and it sorta continues to morph into different issues as the years go on. Nice posts

Just had an unfill yesterday and liked reading about the mindset of eating like you're at maximum fill. Ultimately it is up to each of us what we decide to put in our mouth and how active we choose to be.

I just liked having the restriction....

Giving my band 2 weeks to calm down before I go for a small fill. Hoping I do well

I should know the rules to keeping this weight off by now!

Yeah. Well should and reality don't always go hand in hand. Had a very quick regain after an unfill and have been on the bandwagon since.

So long to take off and so quick to return..... Sigh

It is doing its job... I think I wasn't .

Back to banded life and a refill and it it fits like an old shoe. Regular and everyday worthy. Working hard and feeling healthier daily ![emoji171]