Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non-diabetic hypoglycemia after RNY

Has anyone had issues with non-diabetic hypoglycemia after having RNY? This is not the same as dumping. Sometimes after eating my blood sugar drops low, recently down to 47. I get lethargic and cold and sweaty. I eat something sweet but not too sweet and some carbs and in about 20 minutes it will go up to the 90s. I'm working with my dietician to see what is triggering this. I find that it happens on days when I don't eat enough calories or not enough carbs. Any info or advice would be great!

I am am 13 months post op and this has been happening for about a month

I haven't, but I've heard about it happening to others.

supposedly it can be managed through diet. Hopefully your nutritionist will know. If it's what I think it is, it's called Reactive Hypoglycemia. I don't think it's super common, but on the other hand, I've seen it come up several times on forums -so I don't think it's necessarily *uncommon*, either...

Thanks for the info! I am meeting with my dietician on Thursday. I've uped my calories and carbs just a little bit and so far no issues. Hopefully it's an easy fix

I have been experiencing this as well! I hate it. I'm less than 5 months post-op so it's still difficult for me to get all my food in. I find that drinking a Protein Shake helps me for whatever reason. I have an appointment on Feb 9th, so I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it until then. :/ Hope you feel better!

I stopped Protein Shakes a couple months ago but maybe I will go back to having one a day. Do you know what triggers your lows? Did they give you a meter to watch your numbers?

No, I've been testing it with my mother's meter. They might want me to monitor it more closely when I go in February. as for what triggers it, it seems to be anytime I go too long without eating. I pretty much have to be eating constantly, small bites and verryyyyy slowly, but constantly. One of my bad eating habits that has been very hard to kick is not eating for long periods of time. Now it's not only unhealthy to do that but it makes me feel really sick/faint.

yes - Cervidae is right - I've been reading up on it the last few minutes, and i looks like it's managed through eating small, frequent meals. And low-carb ones to boot.

I go too long between meals too, I wonder if that's what's doing it for me also. Thanks guys for all the input!!

I stopped Protein Shakes a couple months ago but maybe I will go back to having one a day. Do you know what triggers your lows? Did they give you a meter to watch your numbers?

It's fairly common for some after gastric bypass. I have had several episodes but I am doing better now. My triggers were eating high carbohydrate foods which caused a hypoglycemic episode. I then tried to manage it by eating more carbs but that was not the answer. What I found works for me is frequent small meals no longer than 4 hours apart while awake. Protein first, limited but added carbs and some fats. For example I eat a yogurt in the morning 9am, Protein Shake mid morning 10:30am, small green apple about 11:30am or 12pm then lunch about 1pm which has protein & vegetables or protein & low carb Pasta, mid afternoon snack around 3pm is another yogurt and by about 6pm I eat dinner and then by 8pm I have another snack like sugar free popsicles or low carb candies. This varies because I have been adding more carbs like Peanut Butter crackers to my diet since I am trying to cut down on weight loss and maintain my weight now. Just a general plan. I was also told a referral can be made to a Endocrinologist if necessary. Feel better soon.

I was surprised to find this thread is so current while I was searching Reactive hypoglycemia post–gastric bypass. I was having a few sugar drops recently so my GP had me do a two hour glucose test.

My two hour blood draw was 36.

To me the scariest thing was that the week before I had two incidents in one day where the room started to spin and I was sweating profusely. After driving myself home from my blood work I entered my kitchen and then the symptoms kicked in. So how low could I be getting before symptoms? I would have never driven if I had known I was that low.

Tomorrow I go to an Endocrinologist. I have never been a diabetic so I am not very happy with this new issue.

Wow 36 is super low. I was 47 once and also never diabetic. I've upped my carbs and calories and have had no issues what so ever. Keep me posted!!