Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Veterans....#1 thing you miss / don't miss

Hi all,

I haven't posted in awhile. I'll be 5 years out from VSG in May.

I miss: The ladies in the plus size department in Macy's Valley Fair. Shopping in the regular departments can be a nightmare!

I love: Buying tons of things at Marshalls, Walmart, and Target. So easy to get a cute sweatshirt, tank, or tee.

I miss: Margaritas, Milk and most milk products, and Flour Tortillas. Other than those foods, I can eat small amounts of about everything else.

I love: Not being the biggest person everywhere I go. Fitting into seats and not worrying about it. Walking down aisles in the store even when someone else is already in them. Feeling healthy, strong, and in control of what I eat.

Lynda

I finally thought of something I miss... A big ole Coke from McDonald's I always thought they had the best. I also miss being able to go through the drive through for Breakfast, but I also always felt gross after. I like having extra money as I don't eat out as much if at all.

Okay, here's my starter list....

Miss: ice cream

Don't miss: 1/2 gallon of ice cream

Miss: Brazilian allthemeatyoucanstuffintoyourface restaurants

Don't miss: fat-overs (like hang-overs from eating too much fatty food)

Miss: Cookies

Don't miss: a whole sleeve of Cookies

Miss: spicy BBQ potato chips

Don't miss: the whole bag

Miss: the first sip of Coke Zero

Don't miss: Coke Zero, I love my Crystal Light iced tea

Miss: Wheat thins on car trips

Don't miss: Wheat thins 'cause beef Jerky on car trips is even better!

Miss: after lunch snooze in my car

Don't Miss: the apnea that caused them

Miss: that last pig out before starting a new diet

Don't miss: starting a new diet every Monday (or every day) of my life

Truth be told, I don't really miss any of that stuff. This new life is waaaaaaay better!!!

Oh my god that was the BEST!

Like the very best!

I even read it out loud to my mom!

I loved this post. Might save it hahaha

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using the BariatricPal App

I miss eating out and filling my face to overload and having hamburger juices run down my arm.....oh yea

that was just my old fat dream. Now I don;t go out much since I find no fun filling up so fast and watching others over eat. I honestly miss hanging in there to fight over the last cheese filled potato skin. But being in more control requires me to make these changes. And its hard enough. Still working on getting to MY goal.

I wasn't huge pop drinker, but I do remember how good I "thought' a McDonald's coke it. So, one day I tried one...not so good anymore. It was just too sickeningly sweet. Just never thought I'd ever think that way.

I liked the breakfast drive through, too. Good think I don't eat that anymore - I'd be driving through for breakfast all day, everyday since McDonald's serves it all day now! Funny thing, though. I never really think about that stuff anymore until someone mentions it.

I finally thought of something I miss... A big ole Coke from McDonald's I always thought they had the best. I also miss being able to go through the drive through for breakfast, but I also always felt gross after. I like having extra money as I don't eat out as much if at all.

I wasn't huge pop drinker, but I do remember how good I "thought' a McDonald's coke it. So, one day I tried one...not so good anymore. It was just too sickeningly sweet. Just never thought I'd ever think that way.

I liked the Breakfast drive through, too. Good think I don't eat that anymore - I'd be driving through for breakfast all day, everyday since McDonald's serves it all day now! Funny thing, though. I never really think about that stuff anymore until someone mentions it.

I finally thought of something I miss... A big ole Coke from McDonald's I always thought they had the best. I also miss being able to go through the drive through for breakfast, but I also always felt gross after. I like having extra money as I don't eat out as much if at all.

I miss the convenience of the drive thru.

@@lifeofblair I just have other things that are easy to grab - cheese sticks, single packaged chicken sausage, Protein Shakes, bars, and other things that make it easier for me. What I DO NOT miss is looking like I drive through a lot, lol! Any time I think about a drive through, I remember how miserable I was as a fat person.

I do not miss the extra long shower times due to having to pick up and wash the rolls of extra fat, and skin, scared that if I missed a spot I would smell bad.

Now, I can hop in and out of the shower in a flash if I want to, and know that I am squeaky clean. Shaving is easier too. God forbid if I had to sit down in the bath tub, I remember getting up was extremely difficult. Now, I can get up in a snap.

I was banded in 06 so actually, it's hard for me to remember life almost 10 years ago. when I was banded, there were all sorts of foods I missed that weren't band friendly.

Since being sleeved, the only thing I miss is a 2nd piece of pizza. I can eat one piece pretty easily, and I always look longingly at another piece.

I was just scoped today almost 7 years after my sleeve surgery. My surgeon said my sleeve has not stretched AT ALL!

@"oregondaisy"

If you don't mind, what changed the band to sleeve? I'm asking because I was banded in 06 also and I am scared of having problems with my band.

None now, but we seem to be fewer each year.

I also rarely think about habits from 9 years ago

I know I was unhappy and unhealthy. I'm very healthy, and mostly happy... Except widowhood.... Not expected and threw me for a loop

Oh pm me if you want to. I was widowed suddenly at the age of 35. That was a long time ago . That definitely led to my obesity.

I started throwing up in my sleep with the band. I had to have the band completely unfilled and keep it that way. Restriction was always changing. I was worried the band was damaging my stomach. I knew people who were not able to revise to sleeve because the band damaged their stomach.

Is that what you were asking me?

@"oregondaisy"
If you don't mind, what changed the band to sleeve? I'm asking because I was banded in 06 also and I am scared of having problems with my band.
I know I was unhappy and unhealthy. I'm very healthy, and mostly happy... Except widowhood.... Not expected and threw me for a loop

Just came across this thread... how did i miss this one. OH WELL...

So going on year 7 with the band, couple things i miss... A local Dive Rest. has the best PattyMelt EVER, i miss them... and a Fried bologna sandwich.... Actually eating with my family. Im a pretty good cook and i miss eating a lot of what i cook for them... Eating out most of the time i sit and watch them and have a cocktail instead... hehe

And i so understand the missing butt cushion...

What i don't miss... Being FAT in general and all that comes with it. I was never a sick fat person... just fat. I don't miss having to pass on activities with family and friends because i just couldn't do it... or too embarrassed. I don't miss having to buy size 20 clothes at freaking Lane Bryant, wearing sense-able shoes (because no one wants to see an elephant on stilettos) grandma panties and bras, hurting knees hips back...., being treated "less-than"...... And i never thought of this back then, but i really missed being attractive, sexy, desirable,..... I know that sounds bad... but it's my truth. Now men damn near break a leg trying to open my door..... the attention is intoxicating....

Yes oregondaisy. Thank you for your response. I will pm you later in this crazy week.

I appreciate you asking me to. I don't know many widows with WLS .... There seem to be a few of us[emoji171]

Oh pm me if you want to. I was widowed suddenly at the age of 35. That was a long time ago . That definitely led to my obesity.

I started throwing up in my sleep with the band. I had to have the band completely unfilled and keep it that way. Restriction was always changing. I was worried the band was damaging my stomach. I knew people who were not able to revise to sleeve because the band damaged their stomach.

@"oregondaisy"

@oregondaisy..I was widowed at 36. it was also a long time ago but I sure do have a good idea what you went through and what Julie is going thru. She and I have PM'd as well. Also sorry to hear about your band. I too am banded and am always super alert to anything in order to be proactive. I'd hate to have issues and have to revise to another WLS.

@"oregondaisy"

@oregondaisy..I was widowed at 36. it was also a long time ago but I sure do have a good idea what you went through and what Julie is going thru. She and I have PM'd as well. Also sorry to hear about your band. I too am banded and am always super alert to anything in order to be proactive. I'd hate to have issues and have to revise to another WLS.

@"oregondaisy"