Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Veterans....#1 thing you miss / don't miss

I miss long thick hair. I miss eating a full mexican meal with a large margarita.

I do not miss not being in pictures, hiding, the self hate for how I looked and felt. :)

I still feel huge in mirrors and pictures. I find all my trouble spots and just want to cry. I think that will be my curse till the end of time. I took a photo of my baby the other day and my hand was in it and I just kept staring at how fat my hands look LOL

@sharonintx Wow. IT's like looking in a mirror ... I too, always wondered ( and secretly wanted ) to be the one that men whistled at ... or lusted after ... or gave their ph# to in the grocery store line ... But I was never that girl ...

( by the way ... I've been a happily married woman for 10 years ) ... and now that the opposite sex DOES notice me ... I don't like it ...

it's so uncomfortable ... and like you ... I want to be that invisible girl that no one really "sees" ...

Funny how things we thought we'd want when we didn't have them ... are now things we truly realize we never needed to be validated / loved / wanted ...

I already had all of that in my husband ... and I still do :)

Miss - I miss Coke!

Don't miss- I like that I can actually stoop down to get something and I don't lose my balance because of my size.

You only think you miss it. I used to drink a 12 pack of Dr Pepper a day I had a sip of Dr Pepper last year and I spit it out it was disgusting

Hey y'all! Long time no chat...

So, I do miss my life pre-op. I won't lie. Things weren't so damn complicated. My every thought wasn't weight loss this, workout that. Self deprivation, wondering if that food over there is going to make me feel sick or nauseated. Am I going to have a blow out on that turkey? LOL okay... enough of that. I liked eating. I am freakin foodie. Of course right? Otherwise I wouldn't have needed WLS.

The funny thing is this... those are all the same things I enjoy in my life too. Thank GOD for my WLS tool, because otherwise I'm sure I'd be a showcase on My 600 Lb Life. Dr. Now would have to save me from the trenches of despair and hating myself for allowing myself to get so large and unhealthy.

Irene

Hi I'm about to have a gastric by pass on Feb 19 2016 I excited about the long term weight loss but my family keep telling me why am I doing this as they don't like the risks. Did you find any thing that would have put you of from this surgery.

miss life pre-op. Things weren't so damn complicated

@@LilMissDiva Irene

i've missed you soooo much :(

nice to see your "little" self!!!!

i realize i do miss eating a lot of yummy yummy foods

no moderation, eating as much as i want, whenever i want

working with the WLS rules can get annoying, complicated

don't follow the rules??

people have been shot for less :lol:

i don't miss being unhealthy, never leaving the house, being sad

above have been "fixed" / helped by the sleeve

i'm healthy and happy

still "cute as a button" :D

take care Irene

stop by whenever

anyone, whomever can learn from your vast experiences

keep up the great job

kathy

Hi I'm about to have a gastric by pass on Feb 19 2016 I excited about the long term weight loss but my family keep telling me why am I doing this as they don't like the risks. Did you find any thing that would have put you of from this surgery.

I looked hard at the failure videos and blogs. They all seemed to be people who thought it was going to be a magic wand. People who thought they could eat chips and McD's and still lose weight.

I studied the possible complications, and realized the risks were low, especially in light of the very real dangers of being fat.

And then I started looking at this site and saw people who were living life abundantly post surgery. So after doing much due diligence, NO.

BTW, why by pass? You get the same results from VS without dumping.

@@sylvi, the sleeve was the BEST decision I ever made. Life right after surgery was a little difficult, but I had mentally prepared myself for those struggles because I researched-and-researched and knew what to expect. My doctor also gave me the best advice: he said, "If you are not ready to change your lifestyle (i.e. eating healthy and incorporating exercise), then you are not a good candidate for weight loss surgery." I asked him why and his response was that the sleeve is a tool. A tool that controls QUANTITY, but I have to learn to control the QUALITY of the food I intake.

So, my answer to your question is this: the risks of obesity, the illnesses that are associated with it, and the utter unhappiness of being obese, FAR outweigh the little risk and the hardships of life immediately post-op. I am almost 3 years out, and I can eat ALMOST anything, but in that first year I taught myself to eat and live healthy. I DO NOT MISS ANYTHING ABOUT MY LIFE PRE-SURGERY AND I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT MY LIFE POST-OP (well, except those first few months post-op)! Hope everything work out for you. Good luck!

Like most of you, I miss being able to eat what I want, as much as I want. Like pizza and tacos and stuff like that.

I don't miss being afraid to sit down someplace new thinking I was going to break the chair.

Edited by AngryViking

I miss being able to just eat without thinking about carefully chewing and pacing every bite.

I miss ice cream cones and being able to eat without worrying about dumping.

I miss my ass when I was in my 20s.

I do NOT miss binge eating. I do NOT miss the exhaustion, depression, and guilt I felt. I DO NOT miss hating my body and being afraid of my reflection. I don't miss the way I used to sweat all the time, the foot pain, the huge 42 bras I wore, the plus size stores, the pain after eating too much.

I don't miss any of anything being fat enough to turn back!!!!!!!! Thank god I had this surgery.

#1 thing I miss? (I'm thinkin', I'm thinkin'!)

#1 thing I don't miss? My self-induced agoraphobia / immobility.

I miss chicken and dumplings ???? but don't miss the feeling I had after eating several bowls of it.

I was thinking maybe I missed grilled cheese sandwiches, but it's been decades since I ate just one. So I would have to write that I miss four grilled cheese sandwiches -- but I don't! Not one bit. Just like pizza. I never crave just a slice. Ever. And I don't miss it at all. No desire whatsoever for either of these binge foods.