Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys looking for some insight and experience for some fellow guys. I keep going back and forth between which surgery to get. I was wondering if I could ask you all few questions about your experience. I have a surgery date of February 8 and I keep going back and forth between the sleeve and the bypass. I'm 27 years old 290lbs 5' 10 BMI of 41. I have no health problems which require one surgery or the other. I'm currently leaning towards the bypass because I believe the best weight loss will result from the bypass and I am an over-eater and have sweet tooth, which I have heard the bypass can help with However, I look at a lot of male before And after pictures on here and most seem to be sleeve surgery patients. I guess I'm looking for any experience anyone wants to offer forward.

Thanks so much,

Matt

I had the sleeve in June. Over 100lbs down. Over eating is not a problem for me anymore and most high carb or dense breads don't sit well. Once you start to prioritize your food intake to Protein first the sweet tooth will probably be kept at bay. I do still indulge occasionally but I don't find myself wanting them any more or less than before surgery. Now I do worry about sodas. I'm starting to enjoy them again but I don't plan on making them a part of my daily routine.

@@Mel77 congrat's on your success. I totally can relate to your comments of prioritizing foods and lack of tolerance to high carb/dense breads. I would add chocolate ice cream does not agree with me AT ALL. I've had it twice, since my surgery and regretted it immediately after the second spoonful (not a fan of worshiping the porcelain thrown). I was easily at least one if not 2 54 ounce diet coke/diet mountain dew's a day. I haven't had one since my surgery and didn't go through the caffeine withdrawals. Good luck on your journey Matt!!!

@@mckwestla I think it is a personal decision and each of us has our own reasons for our selection. For me it was the fact that long term data about the sleeve is showing almost as good total weight loss as the bypass, using a simpler procedure with less risk and less side effects (malabsorption, dumping syndrome, etc.) I also consulted with my surgeon and based on my weight, health and reasons behind my weight gain he agreed that the sleeve was the best option.

If you haven't already, a good conversation with your surgeon should help you decide.

I would ask about the residual effects of both procedures. For example, the sleeve removes about 75-80% of the stomach, including the fundus which is where ghrelin (hunger hormone) is generated. Thus, sleevers have relatively little actual hunger. The bypass does resect the stomach but leaves the old stomach, including most of the fundus in place. I think it would be worthwhile to know whether the same ghrelin reduction occurs in the bypass.

Also, I've heard that the sleeve has, over time, less risk of stretching than the bypass pouch. I don't know this to be the case, just have heard it and it is worth asking about.

Hopefully the surgeon you select can help you choose the best procedure for your needs.

Edited by shriner37

I had the bypass on August 17th and have lost 88 pounds since surgery, and just over 100 pounds since I started the process. I'm very happy with the results and plan on losing a few more pounds over the next few months.

I chose they bypass because of it's longer history and because of the potential of reflux issues with the sleeve... I already had some minor reflux issues before surgery and didn't want to risk it getting any worse.

I haven't really had any issues since surgery. It's very strange not being hungry and having no cravings - but that's how it's been since the day of surgery for me. I also haven't had any dumping symptoms, but then again I haven't ate anything with a lot of sugar in it. It's not a big deal for me since I don't have any cravings for anything sweet anyways.

I have bypass end of April '15. Over 100# down, few complications. Rapid weight loss period was debilitating but is part of the process, slower now but still happening. I guess in general, I would not choose one over the other due to a food such as sweets, but rather based on data. As others have said, sleeve is catching up with bypass on results -- and results are in large part based on compliance with diet and exercise. The malabsorbtion of the bypass gives one more plus if compliance on diet and exercise is a historical problem, so was one of the reasons I chose bypass, but also for it's better effect on diabetes.

Having read and posted on Bariatric Pal a bunch, there does not seem to be a strong preference either way, all seem happy. For me, there are only a few foods which cause dumping syndrome -- none are sweets! Very grainy carbs, full fat cheese, but have lost my taste for most dairy, including cheese. At close to 9 months out, hunger is slowly returning but honestly, I welcome it as hunger for good food is not a bad thing.

I don't have any carbonated drinks period, as they stretch the pouch quicker than most things. Good luck!

As young as you are, I think you would do just fine with your weight loss with the sleeve. I had the sleeve 8 weeks ago and doing great with it. It was actually the only surgery I qualified for, my bmi was 37 or so I think, so I can't say much about the others. My thing about the sleeve is that it's much less invasive. No switching body parts around. Good luck in whichever you chose. You have youth on your side, you'll do great.

I am having my second and last WLS.....bypass this time.No more messing around.Most research and data.Proven and by the way....The Gold Standard ".

WLS is weight loss surgery

I choose the sleeve for three reasons:

1. My surgeon okayed drinking alcohol (down the road) with the sleeve and recommend lifelong abstinence with bypass.

2. My surgeon said the same about NSAID'S. I have quite a bit of arthritis and even down 80 lbs, I still need my ibuprofen.

3. I like the idea of just cutting off some of my stomach as opposed to all the plumbing rerouting and the whole dead stomach thing. I'm not sure about the whole hunger thing. If I avoid simple carbs, I'm not hungry, but if I eat them, I still want more (I'm in month 4).

Edited by Cape Crooner

When I started my process I originally was going to do Lap Band. I want as minimum done to my body as possible as far as surgery goes. After my consultation with the surgeon, he said he basically stopped doing the band and recommended the sleeve or bypass. I ultimately decided sleeve because I figured I would rather lose part of my stomach than rearrange everything. It has been good to me. It will be a year on January 31st. I have lost about 150lbs and started out at 323lbs. It all really depends on what you end up preferring. I haven't had any issues so far since the surgery.

I had a revision from lapband to bypass. Happy